What does ‘antiX’ stand for ?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions What does ‘antiX’ stand for ?

• This topic has 29 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Dec 3-5:03 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

First time install (I’m replacing lubuntu 12.04).
    I’m just curious,

Where does the name come from ?
    What does (did) it mean ?
    How do you pronounce it ?

masinickmasinick

Anticapitalista, the founder, has the definitive word.

From my perspective on it, antiX represents:

1. A play on words, like many other UNIX and Linux terms.

For example, UNIX is definitely a play on words. UNIX was written as an alternative to a very extensive, comprehensive, technology laden, but impractical (at the time) operating system called MULTICS.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MULTICS

2. Antics and antiX: a playful trick or prank

3. Against the social and political “norms”, an anti-capitalist represents the dislocated working class.

antiX represents a nontraditional implementation of Debian Linux software. It’s a combination of the best Debian software and some of the most creative packages and features from many other distributions (non-Debian and Debian) to create a system that you can either install on your computer or use from removable media.

It’s against injustice and for genuine freedom in many ways – technically in the software and a way for it’s founder to creatively share the things that deeply matter to him personally.

It’s not a requirement to have the same political views as anticapitalista, but in my opinion it is honorable to respect his views and to be thankful for the great work he has freely shared for well over a decade.

Note that the comments here are my own and they are an acknowledgement and thanks for what this distribution offers.

Brian Masinick

Well said.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Noman01.
    fatmacfatmac

My thoughts –

anti capitalism – meaning non proprietary

anti bloat – only that which is needed

But whatever it means, it’s just a great distro that suits me well. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

But whatever it means, it’s just a great distro that suits me well.

I completely concur with the above quote. It would also be my guess what antiX is designed to mean and I am not dwelling on that. Even if such meaning and dedication is of political nature I may not agree with, nevertheless I do respect the right of the leader of this fantastic OS to do so and it does not diminish the value and usability of this OS – unmatched dexterity in Linux world.

manyroadsmanyroads

Terms are both invented by an author with their intended meaning and received by a receiver using their context/perspective. For me, antiX means;

— anti= against
    — X = Unix norms

There you have it. For me, I am absolutely right/ correct; now, as for you… well that’s up to you.
    Personally, I love ‘vague’. 😉

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

masinickmasinick

Terms are both invented by an author with their intended meaning and received by a receiver using their context/perspective. For me, antiX means;

— anti= against
    — X = Unix norms

There you have it. For me, I am absolutely right/ correct; now, as for you… well that’s up to you.
    Personally, I love ‘vague’.

Good one! 😀

Brian Masinick

— anti= against
    — X = Unix norms

IMHO I doubt this would be intended by the leader though… My understanding was that ‘no systemd’ architecture of antiX is actually a return to true Unix principles, while a vast majority of Linux distros, such as Ubuntu departed from those Unix principles…

masinickmasinick

— anti= against
    — X = Unix norms

IMHO I doubt this would be intended by the leader though… My understanding was that ‘no systemd’ architecture of antiX is actually a return to true Unix principles, while a vast majority of Linux distros, such as Ubuntu departed from those Unix principles…

Regarding the no systemd matter, both the original MEPIS and the leaner antiX were conceived in the early 2000s. Neither Debian nor MEPIS nor antiX used systemd at that time because a Red Hat engineer came out with systemd many years later, and a few years after that Debian Linux made the controversial decision to adopt systemd.

There are many different ways to initialize the system and schedule processes, most of which predate systemd.

antiX did not “depart” from the original scheduler; antiX is maintaining the same scheduler, based on the sysinit method.

Brian Masinick

Thanks Brian for additional insight… Yes. antiX stays on the original course of clean system.
    Regards.

oopsoops

For me, antiX means;

— anti= against
    — X = Unix norms

For me, antiX means:
    — anti= against
    — X = too sophisticated X windows

… IceWM is a WM, and not a DE: like XFCE, GNOME, KDE, etc …

masinickmasinick

MX Linux is available with or without systemd. You can choose which scheduler to use.

It’s theoretically possible to use different schedulers on any Linux system, it’s not usually a simple matter of adding a different scheduler and removing another one. If it actually works that way in any system, I would commend the packaging dependencies. Unfortunately I “speculate that it’s fairly complex.

For someone with time, experience and a willingness to potentially damage and render a system unbootable ( you CAN reinstall the entire system ). This could be a great exercise to learn how to put an entire scheduler in place.

Unless you are either familiar with the process already or very fortunate in carefully removing and replacing the correct components, this is likely to be a time consuming but very educational experience.

Brian Masinick

For me, antiX means:
    — anti= against
    — X = too sophisticated X windows

… IceWM is a WM, and not a DE: like XFCE, GNOME, KDE, etc …

I like the interpretation suggested by oops, which seems consistent with spirit of antiX.
    However, regardless whether the underlying meaning of antiX assigned by the leader is political or technical I cannot escape feeling it was not the most fortunate choice for widespread adoption, where no such questions should be raised in the first place if name was not kind of strange and meaning not a mystery. I am a rather new antiX user and I am sure seasoned supporters have ready history that explains this but from the perspective of having in mind a wide adoption of such dexterous OS IMHO the name seems not an asset. On top of this the unfortunate most recent dedication seems not an asset either – hopefully will be fixed next time in the course of this fantastic OS evolution…

?
    # I like the interpretation suggested by oops, which seems consistent with spirit of antiX.

Against X Maybe you can test your interpretation and remove the X windows system if too sophisticated for you.

That would be a learning experience.

However, regardless whether the underlying meaning of antiX assigned by the leader is political or technical I cannot escape feeling it was not the most fortunate choice for widespread adoption, where no such questions should be raised in the first place if name was not kind of strange and meaning not a mystery. I am a rather new antiX user and I am sure seasoned supporters have ready history that explains this but from the perspective of having in mind a wide adoption of such dexterous OS IMHO the name seems not an asset. On top of this the unfortunate most recent dedication seems not an asset either – hopefully will be fixed next time in the course of this fantastic OS evolution…

As for Name and dedication I have not experienced any user who has found the name any less attractive than others we have seen, discussed as well as trialed.

The most recent dedication may not seem appropriate to you because of your personal opinion which in light of what you write means you certainly would not be welcome in our fast growing group. Tolerance is at no 1 in our little manifesto, no 2 is respect. We respect each other regardless of race, sexual orentiation and political acceptance stops when faschiscm comes in to the game.

Maybe you could learn to respect the naming by the creator of this amazing distro as well as accepting that it can be dedicated to who he likes. Which is where tolerance comes in.

If that offends no problem to leave for another distro.

I read once it is pronounced “ant icks” like antics, not Anti X.

It is based on Xwindows, so it makes no sense to say it’s against X windows. But it is different in that it is light and fast enough to be able to run on old machines, which is something the major distros are just not good at, if able at all.

Just my 2 cents worth opinion there… I’m no authority. I just use it and tweak a bit as needed for my ease of use..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.