What Kernel to use

Forum Forums News News What Kernel to use

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 4-3:26 pm by caprea.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    namida12

$ inxi
      CPU: quad core AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (-MCP-)
      speed/min/max: 1397/1400/3600 MHz Kernel: 6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64
      Up: 19h 21m Mem: 1.12/5.72 GiB (19.5%) Storage: 945.97 GiB (65.6% used)
      Procs: 196 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.31

I see 6.1.55 is listed as available, should I upgrade…

Brian Masinick

If you want an antiX kernel then 6.1.60 is the newest one I know of. 6.1.42 came out back when antiX 23 was released, then I believe that 6.1.55 was released as a “Long Term Support” kernel, followed by 6.1.60.

If, on the other hand you are looking for newer kernels, there are quite a few newer kernels.
        At https://kernel.org/ the kernels listed are:
        mainline: 6.8-rc3
        stable: 6.7.3
        longterm: 6.6.15
        longterm: 6.1.76
        (and some Version 4 and 5 kernels for older systems, which I believe get incremental update versions when security patches are added).

Liquorix, Xanmod, and Debian also offer newer (and older kernels) as well, and there are probably other sources too, so the real question is whether you are seeking something else or if you are happy with what you have? A LOT of these kernels work very well, and as you can see from what I copied above, the Linux kernel project does a VERY good job maintaining MANY kernels for a very long time, updating them any time issues and security changes are necessary.

On one hand, if what you have works, no urgent need to change a thing. On the other hand, if you want to experiment, as I’ve shown, there are a LOT of good alternatives available.

--
        Brian Masinick

caprea

I see 6.1.55 is listed as available, should I upgrade…

Yes, give it a try.If you do not uninstall your current kernel you can easily go back if it doesn’t fit.
          Users are advised to update to the latest antiX kernel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.