What means “repos” exactly and where are they ?

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks What means “repos” exactly and where are they ?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 20-11:24 am by corsiglia.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Good evening,

I have to find the last version of Adobe Flash Player in “repos” : what is the meaning of “repos” ( unknown in the dictionary) and where are they ?

Thank you

corsiglia

Anti X 16 / Ubuntu 18.04 / IPAD 13

Good evening,

I have to find the last version of Adobe Flash Player in “repos” : what is the meaning of “repos” ( unknown in the dictionary) and where are they ?

Thank you

corsiglia

“Repo” is short for “Repository”, in this “Software repository”. It’s the place where applications for a particular Linux Distribution (distro for short) are stored on-line. In antiX case, both normal “Debian” (the Linux distribution that serves as base for antiX) respositories and also particular “antiX” repositories” are used (that has applications specially made for or adapted for antiX).
    One way to think of it is a “Repo” is the “vault” were a Application Store goes to show all the applications a user can install. Using this analogy, think of Synaptic as the global Debian and antiX “Application Store”. antiX also has a kind of curated “App Store” available in the Control Centre, that allows users to install the Flash player, I believe…

P.

capreacaprea

The repos is basically everything that is available through the sources of antiX. The repos is available through synaptic, package-manager or apt.
    But it depends heavily on which antiX you have installed and newer antiX-versions have newer sources. The latest antiX version is antiX19.

For installing adobe-flashplayer through repos first update the sources : sudo apt update or reload button in synaptic
    Then search for adobe-flashplugin.
    It’s might also in package-manager under flash
    or install it with apt : sudo apt install adobe-flashplugin

If you really need a newer version you could download the one from MX-repos (sister distro)
    or you have to ask anti to make the MX-version available in the antiX-repos.

Many thanks for your helpful method : Flash Player is working well on my AntiX 16 !

Have a good evening,

corsiglia

Anti X 16 / Ubuntu 18.04 / IPAD 13

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.