What sort of computer to advise to install ANTIX ?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions What sort of computer to advise to install ANTIX ?

• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Feb 22-12:04 am by Murdock2525.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Good morning,
    I would like to know what type of computers do you advise to install the next versions of ANII X in 2021-22 ?

It is better to know that before than after, if you see what I mean …. 😉

corsiglia

Anti X 16 / Ubuntu 18.04 / IPAD 13

Without hesitation, a watercooling computer because Antix 21 will heat up!

Most Expensive Gaming PC in the World

Seriously, it’s difficult to advise you if you don’t give more information about your use.

For example, in Belgium, schools use Zoom or Teams to share documents with video conferencing. If you read the recommended configurations on the 2 sites, you need a 4-core laptop to manage a large number of students with screen sharing in addition.

Don’t forget also the new Youtube AV1 codec. It’s a revolution that will put a lot of PCs in the trash. We have already experienced this with the VP9 (60 frames / second) imposed in 2015 by Youtube.

YouTube and Netflix may require AV1 hardware decoding in the future

Best regards,
    Wallon

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

I see a Samsung ChromeBox 3 in my future running AntiX 21. Less than 50 bucks on ebay.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

You need to decide if you need a laptop or desktop.

Playing computer games takes a faster computer with faster graphics.

Get a 64 bit computer and 4 gb or more memory if you can afford it. If not, get 2 gb. 1 gb will be very limiting. I wouldn’t suggest buying a 32 bit computer as they are getting pretty old.

Get an SSD drive if you can afford it.

Try to find a computer that many other people using Linux are running so you can use the same configurations as they use.

capreacaprea

The question is perhaps more purposeful if you have already decided on one or more specific laptops or PCs
    and then ask here beforehand,
    whether this comes into question , or whether there is possibly already anything negative known about this model.

andyproughandyprough

I have it on good authority that the ANII X versions in 2021-22 will only run on Turing complete computers.

Actually, antiX runs like a demon on 10-12 year old computers, especially if you stick an SSD in it. I personally prefer systems that can take 8gb or more of ram. Seems like most Dell Inspiron laptops from about 2011 and forward are good. Old Lenovo Thinkpads should be good. My dream computer is to build one with an old Asus KCMA-D8 motherboard, and max it out with dual Opteron 4284 processors and 128gb ram, and then libreboot it.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Is @corsiglia wondering what the system requirements are to run antiX 21?

Será que o @corsiglia esteja querendo saber quais serão os requisitos de sistema para executar o antiX 21?

marcelocripe

Hi All, I apologize for the delay I had to move in my familly !

Thank you for your answers :

There is my question of what type of laptops for Antix ,but my very first question is how to install ANTI X software when the new computer is managed by the Windows system ! I have tried last week but when you start to install Linux there is a RAID image which stops it and it is impossible to achieve,

So my very first question is : what to do with the RAID . Or is it possible to buy a laptop without WINDOW installed ?

Thank you all,

corsiglia

Anti X 16 / Ubuntu 18.04 / IPAD 13

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Corsiglia,

Yes, it is possible to buy a laptop without having the Windows operating system pre-installed. It is only a little more difficult to find in retail stores. Some manufacturers allow you to choose your hardware configurations and even the operating system. If you choose the operating system of any Linux distribution that the manufacturer has, you will certainly save on the cost of the operating system. Then you can delete the Linux distribution and install antiX.

It was more difficult for me to find an English language site that informs laptop options with a Linux distribution, than to find a language in Portuguese. I hope it helps you.

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/10-super-sweet-laptops-that-come-with-linux-pre-installed/

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Corsiglia,

Sim, é possível comprar um laptop sem ter o sistema operacional Windows pré instalado. Só é um pouco mais difícil de encontrar em lojas de varejo. Alguns fabricantes permitem você escolher as suas configurações de hardware e inclusive o sistema operacional. Se você escolher o sistema operacional de uma distribuição Linux qualquer que o fabricante dispõe, certamente você economizará no custo do sistema operacional. Depois você poderá apagar a distribuição Linux e instalar o antiX.

Foi mais difícil para eu encontrar um site em idioma inglês que informa a opções de laptop com uma distribuição Linux, do que encontrar idioma em português. Eu espero que te ajude.

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/10-super-sweet-laptops-that-come-with-linux-pre-installed/

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

These are a couple of sites that offer suggestions.

https://laptopwithlinux.com/linux-laptops/

https://linoxide.com/hrdwre/best-place-to-buy-linux-preinstalled-laptops/

https://itsfoss.com/get-linux-laptops/

Dell will actually preinstall Linux on a few of their models. Most of the ones I’ve seen are intended for server configurations, but there may now be a few laptop options available.

Lenovo has a good reputation for their systems working with Linux, though I am not sure how many of them come preinstalled with Linux.

System76 has several models that they engineer and configure specifically for Linux.

A search for “preinstalled linux” or “preinstalled linux laptops” will give you many different choices.
    You may also be able to find a person or a small company who will build something for you for a fee, if you can afford it, and for others, perhaps this could become a “additional business” or if successful, even a primary business,

Brian Masinick

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

Hello corsiglia,

a bit late to it. can you post a screenshot/photo of it. as far as raid did
    you hit the use entire hard drive option? otherwise you have to partition the
    hard drive ahead of time with gparted from the menu on the live cd before running
    the install.

and as mentioned there are options for laptops/desktops online without microsoft inside 🙂

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Hello corsiglia,

Isn’t it possible to use your new computer with a Live USB key or to do an installation on an external hard drive or external SSD?

Best regards,
    Wallon

Hallo Corsiglia, might be good to give some details of your new computer.
    For working with linux my preference is Lenovo. The business models are tough and reliable.

For anyone with the money to spare some new business laptops can be ordered with linux installed.
    As far as I am aware that does not apply to the consumer graded products, they too are pretty good,
    though.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

If you don’t mind an old, used computer in good shape, the old IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops are the most solid, reliable systems I have ever used as a laptop system. I currently have a Thinkpad X201; it’s thick and heavy but it works well with antiX, should be inexpensive and it works very well.

I also have a good, solid Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop and I have had good experiences with Dell too, but I think that the Thinkpad has the best laptop keyboard and tracking devices- both a synaptics track pad and a tracking button, both of which work well.

Brian Masinick

What is ANTI X software? Are you asking about antiX? You have Anti X 16 in your signature. Is that antiX 16?

The answers here assume you are asking about installing antiX 21. It this a typo or are you in the wrong place?

I have been away from here for awhile. But please remember that we talk about antiX here. I do not know what ANTI X is.

Seaken64

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.