What you installed as your first linux distros?

Forum Forums General Other Distros What you installed as your first linux distros?

• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Nov 13-9:08 am by masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    afghanafghan

It was Slackware 2.3 in 1995. Go it off an InfoMagic Developer’s Resource 4-CD set. I already had some encounters with UNIX in college and some jobs after that and was actually planning on buying a copy of Coherent Unix when somebody announced on my local BBS that they had a bunch of InfoMagic CD sets for sale. I struggled to get it installed and working on an old PC with limited hardisk space (400MB shared with MS-DOS). A few months later I bought a new PC with a “huge” 1.2GB hardisk. I only remember using it for connecting to my local BBS using a dial-up modem, e-mails and ripping my music CDs into MP3 files. It took hours to rip and encode a single CD, but it was fun.

It wasn’t until Ubuntu 6.06 that I used Linux almost exclusively for home and work. My job up till that point dealt exclusively with MS-Windows. When Ubuntu got clunky I move to Debian and when Debian went with systemd I switched to antiX.

Attachments:

Good thoughts are no better than good dreams if not executed.
    - RW Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Shortly after I got a new job in 1994, a programmer told me the company was setting up a BBS that I could access at work and at home. “But,” he said, “you’ll have to learn Unix.”

“That’s cool,” I thought. “Anything but Windows.” I had made it clear when I was hired that I didn’t do Windows (or anything from Apple).

The BBS turned out to be a Red Hat system. At home, I first got something called DemoLinux running, then CLE (Chinese Linux Extensions) 1.0 (Red Hat-based), later SuSE, and so on and so forth. Before coming to antiX, I used Ubuntu because a friend got a Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed, asked me to check it out, and then got an i-something and became an Apple devotee. Poor guy.

Now, on this machine, I have antiX and Slackware installed.

Dan Strychalski
    Hsinchu, Taiwan R.O.C.

Correction: The BBS was probably a Slackware or Debian system. Red Hat (if it was called that) was still in beta. Doesn’t make much difference, as I could only log on using Telnet or text-mode dial-in. Did that for a few years, and came to love Gopher and Lynx.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by dski.

On the Mac, Ctrl didn't exist; in Windows, Ctrl-A through Ctrl-Z did virtually nothing. From 1985 on, the choice was clear: you could get the full benefit of the most basic standard of computing, or you could use a GUI and a crippled keyboard and become this or that vendor's slave. I chose WordStar. LIVE FREE OR DIE.

The first Linux distro I “installed” was Slackware. Then Red Hat, then SuSE. But the first linux I actually “used” on a daily basis was Vector Linux, based on Slackware.

Seaken64

I just moved to Linux about a year and half ago after XP was no longer supported.
    I tried Mint for a month and found it too heavy for my old laptop.
    I was interested in the minimalism of antiX, but was intimidated by it because I had not had any linux experience.
    I took the plunge and with the help of the forum, it has been a great experience.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

masinickmasinick

@greyowl:

Congratulations to you for sticking with it and learning how to take advantage of the great free software in the antiX distribution and continued success as you work with the system.

Good job 👍

Brian Masinick

I became really interested in Linux in the early 2005 – 2007 time frame and I downloaded and burned copies of several different distros when I got a good cable internet connection (better than what I have now out here in the boonies of north Louisiana). I test drove several distros on live media, but never really installed any on a hard drive. I remember I never could get anywhere with Red Hat, but did successfully run Lubuntu and Kubuntu and Mint. Things were too busy for me to tinker with getting my hardware and drivers working well. So, the Linux urge went to sleep in me until MS decided we all wanted our computers to look like phones and tablets. So I started thinking about alternatives. I’m still able to completely kick MS to the curb due to some of the software I have to use that I haven’t found a suitable alternative for (EasyWorship being one). But for personal use I can manage with Linux. Recently (about 2 months ago) I did a bare metal install of MX linux on a project PC built out of leftovers and hand-me-down hardware. I think Anti-X is a slightly better fit, but that will go on another low spec machine I have. So, not new to Linux but very much an inexperienced newbie, albeit, not a young one.

EJ

Sliver XSliver X

I found a Redhat 5.1 CD at Walmart of all places in 1999. Took it back after realizing I couldn’t get my WinModem to work.

I installed Mandrake in 2005. Used it for a month alongside Windows 2000 until I gave up trying to get my ATI video card to have any kind of 3D acceleration functionality.

General hatred of Windows Vista led me to install Ubuntu 7.10 in 2007: I ran various Ubuntu variants exclusively for a couple of years until Windows 7 came out. I typically kept a version of Ubuntu in a dual boot config on all my desktops afterwards but hardly ever booted into them for the next decade, though I did make an HTPC based on Linux in 2016.

General hatred of Windows 10 led me to install antiX this year: I haven’t booted into my Win10 partition in about three months now? I’ve been really impressed with how light yet functional it is: it leaves me with more resources for things like emulators and Windows games via Wine.

masinickmasinick

I became really interested in Linux in the early 2005 – 2007 time frame and I downloaded and burned copies of several different distros when I got a good cable internet connection (better than what I have now out here in the boonies of north Louisiana). I test drove several distros on live media, but never really installed any on a hard drive. I remember I never could get anywhere with Red Hat, but did successfully run Lubuntu and Kubuntu and Mint. Things were too busy for me to tinker with getting my hardware and drivers working well. So, the Linux urge went to sleep in me until MS decided we all wanted our computers to look like phones and tablets. So I started thinking about alternatives. I’m still able to completely kick MS to the curb due to some of the software I have to use that I haven’t found a suitable alternative for (EasyWorship being one). But for personal use I can manage with Linux. Recently (about 2 months ago) I did a bare metal install of MX linux on a project PC built out of leftovers and hand-me-down hardware. I think Anti-X is a slightly better fit, but that will go on another low spec machine I have. So, not new to Linux but very much an inexperienced newbie, albeit, not a young one.

EJ

Too bad you didn’t get a chance to try out MEPIS when it arrived on the scene. It’s always been a bit more “nimble” than the majority of other full-featured distributions, even though MEPIS used the medium to heavy KDE instead of the Xfce used by today’s implementation used by MX. Xfce tends to make fairly conservative changes and it’s just a bit lighter than a cut-down version of KDE, so while it’s been a positive move, Warren Woodford used to do wonders with KDE and MEPIS; it was the most stable and efficient KDE implementation I ever encountered.

I’ve had computers with as many as ten distributions installed on multiple partitions within a computer, and I’d always keep a copy of MEPIS. Actually, since each was released, I’ve retained at least two of [MEPIS, MX, antiX] plus Debian on my computers. I used to use Debian Sid with surprisingly good results, despite it’s “unstable” reputation. These days, I just use a stable copy of Debian and bring in new copies of Web browsers, the only thing I really care to keep fairly current. I’m no longer “tough” on my distributions; I pretty much use them as glorified access points to the Internet for the most part. So while I still have a preference for the distributions in this family and Debian-based distributions, the fact is that just about anything would meet my current needs these days. Sometimes I’ll just boot from a removable USB (and of course MX and antiX work well in those situations)!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.