What you installed as your first linux distros?

Forum Forums General Other Distros What you installed as your first linux distros?

• This topic has 40 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated Apr 18-6:50 am by masinick.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    masinickmasinick

hi masinick,

you wrote:

I was sending and reading Email over the Internet as far back as 1982

you definetly got a few years on me there I got our first pc used about 89-90
    as a used commodore 64 and also a tandy 286 (dos 4-5 )with a modem. In 92-93 got
    a 386 with win 3.1 and had netscape with a 14.4k modem (blazing 4 that time).
    my first cdrom drive dual booted with deskview/x.

The real point of my comments (possibly veering away from the original intent) is that people here use software for many different things and come here from widely different distributions and experience.

I was using software that came 15-20 years before Linux distributions really took off (though the early Linux kernels surfaced in 1991). MEPIS arrived in 2003, SimplyMEPIS was released in 2004 and antiX was just getting started a couple of years later.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Brian Masinick

rikardfvsrikardfvs

Xandros on a ASUS EeePC in 2008 or so. Then Raspbian on Rpi. Then Debian on an old laptop. Now Linux Mint on my main machines, Debian on server and AntiX on a couple of older laptops.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by rikardfvs.

I use:

Debian and Raspbian for servers.
    Linux Mint, Xubuntu and Antix for desktops.

My Antix 19 testcomputer is a HP Elitebook 2530p

nuggetnugget

My first Linux distro for home use was redhat but I can never remember the version number
    I got it on a magazine cover in either 1997, 1998 or 1999, somewhere around then.
    All I really remember of it was that it tied me up in knots and I first of all
    totally destroyed my windows data, then redhat wouldnt boot either and then when
    I reinstalled windows, I gave RedHat another go and it worked.
    I persisted with it and learnt a few things then kept going back to it
    but never really enjoyed it. I installed a later edition with KDE 2 and that just
    made me angry. I loathed KDE. I never really got into Linux until I installed Debian
    At the time I was working with IBM computers running IBM and Microsoft operating systems.
    I think my first Debian was Debian Sarge I totally loved it. I started setting up linux
    servers for small companies just after that and left my job to do sysadmin for small
    to medium sized companies, working from an office at home

---------------------
    Wittgenstein (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus): Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

masinickmasinick

That’s a great story.

While I do not have any issues with Red Hat software or the K Desktop Environment (KDE), I do share your enthusiasm for the Debian Linux environments and solutions that have been created from Debian Linux software.

I got my start with Slackware and I still have a soft spot for Slackware and distributions based on Slackware. Debian and Slackware are my two favorite infrastructures on which I prefer to build my favorite systems. Note that antiX is based on Debian Linux packages. A few of you may recall that antiX has borrowed good ideas from other projects (Absolute Linux and Puppy are two of them), both of which use quite a bit of software tools and ideas from various Slackware based efforts.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

nuggetnugget

I got my start with Slackware and I still have a soft spot for Slackware and distributions based on Slackware.

You just reminded me. I got into SUSE Linux between Red Hat and Debian. I remember now. I know SUSE isnt strictly Slackware but it was
    heavily infused with slackware ideas and software etc. That’s really the closest I have come to using slackware. I dont know why.
    Actually a couple of companies I know of Run SUSE as servers. It’s an excellent server distro, many admirable features to it.

---------------------
    Wittgenstein (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus): Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

New guy here, but an old dabbler since 1984 or so…

First distro installed was MWC Coherent in the late 80’s. Really loved the manual, (which can still be found) although for the most part it was a trip back in time to ATT V7. Got me hooked and somewhat in tune to what it was supposed to be about underneath the commercial aspect. Was running a mish-mash of CP/M, DOS at the same time, etc etc, but found it hard to concentrate on so many environments, so cleaned house and kept Unix.

Later in the 90’s started again with Yggdrasil, quickly changed to Slackware (downloaded all the floppies from a shell-account accessed with a dos box). Later a stripped down 2-user version of Xenix and have been off an running since then fumbling around as a (l)user, but having fun.

My favorite moment was when I purchased a Mac laptop, and when the salesman asked me what I was going to do with it, was watching his jaw drop when I told him that I’ll be putting FreeBSD on it when I get it home. The whole store kind of went quiet. 🙂

ximruximru

Another Xandros user around 2002-ish
    It was about the time win98/XP were getting viruses and had to run scans with anti-virus-spybot-malwarebytes and was fixing my and others computers.
    I saw a disk at computer city selling for like 35$ but was on sale for half price.
    You had to register xandros,I was stunned that there was anything other than windows or apple at all.(are you a pc or mac guys)
    Really knew nothing about linux until I started googling around, I had no idea you could just download and use a free OS.
    I was on dialup at the time and ordered some ubuntu disks. Also remember downloading distros at night to see them completed by morning.
    Then the applications,distros and package managers…sp many choices.I found it so much easier,system ran faster and no need for background scanning.
    “Everything is a file” inspired me to think differently. Linux became a hobby.Picking up old computers and “fixing them”
    I remember moving onto puppy linux and still love that distro,it was everything others were not.I have 2-3 on usb
    Still use lighter distros and nothing heavier than xfce. Antix has done icewm great with the preferences options, its so easy to customize.
    Only bought one computer in my lifetime, all have been from the dump or trash (cant believe what people throw away around here)

Knoppix, followed by Ubuntu. Stopped for a long time, then started Linux again with Linux Mint. From there, have tried several distros (Arch, AntiX, Obarun, Guix System, Parabola, OpenBSD, Void, Debian, Slackware.) AntiX is attractive as a distro because its install is quick, painless, and batteries-included. From that standpoint, it really gets a lot of things about user experience right, especially with the ability to switch between WMs (I would’ve never cared for herbstluftwm if it weren’t for AntiX.) Also, there’s that mysterious live USB feature… I’ve tried it, but alas, I don’t have access to USB 3.0, so it’s slow and laggy (at least in a desktop.)

masinickmasinick

hi masinick,

you wrote:

I was sending and reading Email over the Internet as far back as 1982

you definetly got a few years on me there I got our first pc used about 89-90 as a used commodore 64 and also a tandy 286 (dos 4-5 )with a modem. In 92-93 got a 386 with win 3.1 and had netscape with a 14.4k modem (blazing 4 that time).
    my first cdrom drive 🙂 dual booted with deskview/x.

While I got a hold of a few PC models that we were evaluating in the office, it was only the UNIX systems where I was actually accessing networking outside of our company. Within the company we had a good network (at least for that period of time) and it was a combination of AT&T leased lines, owned or leased microwave towers, MCI services and even a very early fiber network, all of which we were testing and evaluating for cost, networking efficiency, purchase versus leasing, etc.

I didn’t engineer the telecom networks myself, but my organization developed a lot of analysis tools and we’d write short programs and scripts for traffic analysis.

When I left the telecom team I joined a data network-based team that was also looking at what we now call client-server computing. At the time we were simply trying to offload some of the interactive computer systems workload from mainframe computer systems to desktop PC systems and department minicomputer systems. That was when I really escalated my work with UNIX systems and moved away from daily mainframe legacy systems. It’s also when I had a brief assignment maintaining software on a really cool MULTICS system just before I got into UNIX. I also had one job where I had a percentage of my day devoted to reading computer and telecom periodical publications, which gave me a solid general background. I’m not an expert in any of these areas but I try to read periodicals to this day to keep an eye on technology.

Brian Masinick

Marie_PerdelwitzMarie_Perdelwitz

My very first Linux distro I installed was Mandrake on New Years Day of 2000.
    I had ordered it and a RedHat CD from (I believe) CyberBytes out in California a month earlier and finally had time to play with it on that day. I actually had to flip a coin to see which one to install, and Mandrake won. I often wonder where I would be today if RedHat would have won the toss!
    Dual booted the “Abomination” and Mandrake for 6 months until I noticed I wasn’t booting into the other one as often, so I deleted ‘it’ off my HD!
    Played with Mandrake until…yesterday, it seems! Lemmee explain…
    My fall-back OS has always been Mandrake-based…Mandriva, Conectiva, Mageia, and PCLinuxOS…because I am most familiar with it. Over the last 20 years, I have downloaded, installed and played with most of the different distros for at least 30 days to give them a fair trial. Some, I have really enjoyed using…PCLinuxOS, Debian, CrunchBang, Slackware, Manjaro, Salix, Kodachi, and PC-BSD. There was only one distro that I absolutely couldn’t stand and had to get it off my HD after 5 days and that was ubuntu.
    Every once-in-a-while I will change up desktop environments and play with the different window managers to see how they have progressed. Early on, I found that I liked Icewm, but for some odd reason I switched to KDE and used it (forever).
    In the computer groups I am in on mewe, they have been chatting about a distro called MX Linux and I thought I would give it a try. I didn’t like it…maybe it was the KDE desktop that I am so familiar with that I didn’t like. Did some reading and found antix with icewm. Downloaded, installed and am liking it.
    You will rarely find me in here asking questions. I like to read and figure things out on my own and play with it till it *does* work right.

Some advice for the noobs… get yourself an extra HD or 3, download, install and play with your new distro(s).
    But most importantly…Have Fun!

Marie_Perdelwitz

masinickmasinick

Great story Marie!

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of distribution hopping over the years and you know your preferences well.

I hope that you enjoy using antiX.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.