When is end-of-support for stable antiX versions 17 & 19

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” When is end-of-support for stable antiX versions 17 & 19

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by masinick Sep 2-12:03 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mikey777

When does antiX support for stable version 17 (and version 19 when it’s finally released – not the beta)
    come to an end?

I’m just planning ahead and wondering if I should hang on till the version 19 stable release comes out, to give me a longer period of uninterrupted time to build my system.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.
    fatmac
    fatmac

As long as Debian, I think, but I’m only a user these days, wait for the official comment. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

My antix 15 alpha 32 bit install still gets updates so I would not sweat it. Build away.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

antiX-17 – as long as Debian stretch (2022)
    antiX-19 – as long as Debian buster (2022-2025)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

mikey777

I notice antiX-19 is now in its 3rd beta release. Am I right in thinking that
    the stable release will be sometime in September 2019?

Thanks anticapitalista

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Am I right in thinking that the stable release will be sometime in September 2019?

Thanks anticapitalista

Probably, but no guarantee.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

fungalnet
    fungalnet

I never understood in the debian universe and in all rolling distributions why are people so uptight about editions like they are fixed.

If someone can explain to me in what way would the installed 19b1, 19b2, 19b3, and 19 be different when fully updated in January 1 2020 I would be obliged for life. If the same setup/DE/software are installed by all four, what would the difference be? What would the difference be if you switched repositories from a 17 installation to point to 19?

I say nothing.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by fungalnet.
    masinick
    masinick

antiX-17 – as long as Debian stretch (2022)

The main differences occur when there is a major release change that corresponds to a new Debian Stable release.

If you use Debian Testing or Debian Sid/Unstable, these are rolling releases, so the only thing you concern yourself with is the stability or instability of software changes during a major infrastructure shift. When I’m using Testing or Unstable repositories, I generally watch Debian forum threads to get a “heads up” on major infrastructure changes, and wait until all of the packages needed for the changes are in place. When I do this, I’ve been able in the past to run rolling releases of Debian Sid for 3-5 years without any major issues, and I have back-ups and alternatives to rebuild them when something does fail.

Summary: major releases of versioned software change the infrastructure. You can in theory “upgrade” from one release to another if you know what you are doing; otherwise it’s a good time to save your personal information, back up your system, clean it out and install new software. I’ve done both with good results, but it does take years of experience to understand the potential “pitfalls” of upgrading major releases on the fly…

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.