When you installed first time linux?

Forum Forums General Polls When you installed first time linux?

When you installed your first linux?

We all have installed linux (I think). When and why you installed linux?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Under week ago
  • Under month ago
  • Under year ago
  • 1 to 5 years ago
  • 5 to 10 years ago
  • 10 to 15 years ago
  • 20 or more years ago
  • This topic has 36 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Apr 1-4:01 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I don’t recall exactly when I installed Linux to hard drive – but I recall that the first time I tested a Linux on my computer was using a Live Knoppix DVD that came with a computer magazine. I installed Mandrake, and even Suse, because they came on those Disks- I had a dial up connection at my parents home, back then. I recall I ordered 2 Ubuntu disks, that were shipped for free from South Africa- the first of then was probably around Ubuntu 8, maybe???

Before antiX, I used Mint for many years, then I found out about Xubuntu, Lubuntu, MX, and antiX and Bodhi (I installed Bodhi in my father’s laptop, because it streamed YouTube a bit better on that hardware, and, to be honest, back then it looked much better than antiX 16 or so). On my own hardware, it’s been probably some 10 years that I’ve run just Mx, antiX (or for a small period, I ran Xubuntu and Lubuntu Live on my netbook). I also tested some very light Live OSes, like Porteus, Puppy and some other that I can’t recall it’s name…

Brian Masinick

As much as some things get forgotten these days, I tend to remember numbers and general technical things, but probably one reason my brain is forgetful is that it has so many items that are trivia and history, but unfortunately that’s just the way my brain works!

My FIRST personal computer was a Micron P100 and it came with Windows for workgroups 3.11. I got a copy of Windows 95 to upgrade it, and I bought a book about Slackware; I’m trying to find it, but the guy who wrote this book (now in PDF) got his start 6-9 months after I did; I got my hardware in November 1995.

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tdose2009/t-dose-slackware.pdf
        1.2.0.1 01/04/1994 (with Linux kernel 1.0)- mine was Linux kernel 1.2.8 if I remember right.

I think I found the book I actually used but even this was a later edition than the one I had:
        https://www.amazon.com/LINUX-Configuration-Installation-Books-Slackware/dp/0764570056/ref=sr_1_4?crid=35LZPK0F1BK80&keywords=slackware+linux&qid=1704144591&s=books&sprefix=Slackware%2Cstripbooks%2C157&sr=1-4 – The authors are Kevin Reichard and Eric Foster-Johnson, with a lot of content that comes directly from Patrick Volkerding; yeah, this one has Version 3.5, which came later.

The early edition I had contained a CD, if I remember correctly, but you had to build a boot disk and a root disk from the CD; mine were the 3 1/2″ solid removable disks. The good thing is that my UNIX workstation at work ALSO had the ability to use these and CD too. The reason I mention this is because my early edition book only had a version that gave me 640×40 video with at most 8 colors; I found a newer video driver and got the resolution up to 256 colors, and either 800×600, or possibly 1024×768; if I didn’t have the 1024×768 on my first system, I got a Toshiba laptop later and I’m sure I got it or one of my late 1990s models updated; it was in 2001 when I got a Dell Dimension 4100, put TWO drives on it and ran as many as 12 distributions, and maybe 13-14 for a very short while; those were the days! I had a LOT of fun with GRUB 0.97 in those days!

(I found some different stuff, but I have probably written about this a couple of times AT LEAST, even in this thread).

--
        Brian Masinick

seaken64

I answered 20+ years. It was about 2000 or 2001 when I first installed Linux. It was Slackware. I bought a book at the bookstore (remember those? No Amazon!) and I read it and it walked me through making the floppy disks and running the installer.

But I didn’t really USE Linux until about 2006. I installed Red Hat and SuSe and Knoppix and eventually ended up with VectorLinux which was a Slackware. It wasn’t until I found Debian and antiX that Linux became a daily driver. That was with antiX 13 I think. A little before MX came out. Now I use antiX and MX everyday.

Seaken64

PDP-8

About 1995 for me. Saw that a floppy called “Tom’s root-boot” worked on my 486. Then installed Slackware from floppies downloaded via early internet ISP account. Then tried early FreeBSD. Since I didn’t know the vi editor, the “ee” editor saved my bacon. Struggled and could never get X going on either. Thought Microsoft was the answer, and booted $$ Xenix. Could never get my modem to work properly either.

None of this made me a guru! 🙂 But I learned vi(slowly) since that was on all 3 systems. Thought my monitor was bad because of all the vi tilde squigglies on the left! That’s what you get when you had no mentor. Almost gave up and went back to dos, but I hung in there. Many hairs and tears shed, but it was worth it.

Brian Masinick

About 1995 for me. Saw that a floppy called “Tom’s root-boot” worked on my 486. Then installed Slackware from floppies downloaded via early internet ISP account. Then tried early FreeBSD. Since I didn’t know the vi editor, the “ee” editor saved my bacon. Struggled and could never get X going on either. Thought Microsoft was the answer, and booted $$ Xenix. Could never get my modem to work properly either.

None of this made me a guru! 🙂 But I learned vi(slowly) since that was on all 3 systems. Thought my monitor was bad because of all the vi tilde squigglies on the left! That’s what you get when you had no mentor. Almost gave up and went back to dos, but I hung in there. Many hairs and tears shed, but it was worth it.

I actually bought my first personal computer in 1995, SPECIFICALLY so that I could learn and run Linux. I had been reading about it in various magazines for at least 2-3 years, if not even longer before that, but I had the resources and the time to do it in 1995, PLUS I was working for the first time in an operating systems group on a UNIX system; several people were talking about Linux within earshot of my cubicle, so I decided to pursue it.

I DEFINITELY knew vi (and Emacs) quite well by that time, and numerous other tools. As it turned out I was using MANY of the same GNU tools on my UNIX workstation as I tried out on my first 32-bit PC. Though the workstation was running 64-bit UNIX, the 32-bit Slackware, even on lower powered hardware was slightly more “responsive” than the much faster workstation; “feel” vs. actual speed, of course, was not indicative of TOTAL performance but Slackware was really nice, though the bootstrap procedure in those days required some “learning”.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Regarding the EARLY Slackware booting process, until ALL of it was directly bootable and installable from CD or DVD, the installation involved either 2 floppy disks, a BOOT disk and a ROOT disk with the remainder on CD, OR a whopping 19 floppy disk images! I was able to do the first, and my first installation took place with the assistance of a book, which DID contain the CD and an explanation on how to do it all; it was TEDIOUS but not all that difficult.

The end result was very pleasant BUT the disk image I had did NOT contain the newest video drivers so I had to obtain them over the network. Before I did so, I had an 8 color, 640×480 display; afterward I had a 256 color 1024×768 display, still nothing by today’s standards but nice and responsive on a 1995 vintage Micron P100 personal computer; Slackware had fvwm and fvwm-crystal available; I used the second one once I got everything going.

There were a few significant snowstorms and I remember planning and performing some significant UNIX localization work using either it or one of the other systems I had from that era; I believe that I used minicom to establish a terminal session, then connect via acoustic coupler to a network at work; from there, I had pre-prepared scripts available to import literally hundreds, (I believe a couple THOUSAND) file check-ins to our UNIX server repository, part of doing something like 38 total localizations!

I believe during that particular storm I connected to the company’s dial-in network EARLY to be certain to secure a connection and then started up a series of automated scripts, all from a high rise apartment building at least twenty miles or more away from the server; it worked perfectly and I was able to send the results BACK to the language localization translators to TEST and verify it, then I was able to approve the localizations into the base level of our next major release; I believe we were working on what we called the “Steel” release of Digital UNIX back then; it was either Version 4 or 5 of a 64-bit implementation that was later rebranded as “Tru-64 UNIX”. Jon “maddog” Hall and I had known one another for at least ten years by that time and he was a UNIX Marketing Manager by then and also a HUGE Linux advocate. Ten years earlier our chats were about BSD versus “System V” UNIX implementations; we were both for merging that stuff; ten years later we were early Linux advocates, always ahead of what most big companies saw at the time – turns out we both knew what we were talking about!

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I think it was around 1998 when I started to use a few other distributions; Mandrake Linux (now Mandriva). It wasn’t until around 2000-2001 that I started to do frequent multi-boot configurations. I believe I had a Compaq desktop in 2000 that I used for a few distributions, then in 2001 I got a Dell Dimension 4100 that I used for quite a few years; that’s the one that I had as many as a dozen distributions installed to disk; at one point I may have obtained a second disk to add a few others; somewhere along the way I even had a real-time system called VxWorks.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.