Where to place .desktop files

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Where to place .desktop files

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 12-3:57 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello community,

I am trying to create a desktop shortcut into the start menu for the epiphany browser which I installed to save resources.
    Since the hardware I am using is very limited in terms of memory eg 2GB.
    Now I am not very familiar with the internal workings of the IceWM DE.
    Usually on DE like Xfce4 I would just place the own .desktop files under
    ~/.local/share/applications$
    Where do I need to place .desktop file under the IceWM DE.
    So I my self installed or self compiled apps appear in the start menu ?

Thx,blub4747

XecureXecure

Hello.

I am trying to create a desktop shortcut into the start menu for the epiphany browser which I installed to save resources.

Do you mean in the panel, in the main menu or in the Applications menu? Epiphany (if installed through apt, synaptic, package installer) should be available in the Applications Menu > Internet already.
    If you want a special entry in the personal menu, use the Menu Manager (Control Centre > Maintenance > Menu Editor).
    If you want the entry in the Panel, use the “IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager” (Menu> Applications > antiX >)

Also, use Control Centre > Desktop > Preferred Applications, and assign the Web Browser to epiphany browser. Apply. From that moment on, the “Web Browser” entry in the menu and panel will launch epiphany browser.

Usually on DE like Xfce4 I would just place the own .desktop files under
    ~/.local/share/applications

I think that should work for adding it to the Applications submenu if epihany was not installed (using an app image, for example, or after compiling it). After adding the .desktop file there, run in terminal
    /usr/local/lib/desktop-menu/desktop-menu-apt-update force
    and this should add it to the Applications submenu.

Let us know if I understood things wrongly, so we can better provide advice.

Hello community,

Thanks for a lot the quick response!

The following routes did work on my antix.

If you want a special entry in the personal menu, use the Menu Manager (Control Centre > Maintenance > Menu Editor).

Worked fine and I managed to change my default browser to Epiphany.
    However

use the “IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager” (Menu> Applications > antiX >)

Also

I was able to find the provided location in my file system.
    However my system could not find the command provided.

I could not find that menu. sorry

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by blub4747.
    XecureXecure

Sorry I didn’t explain properly.
    Menu > Applications > antiX > “IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager”
    This should launch a program to let you manage the toolbar icons for icewm

The rest doesn’t matter. Once you get it on the Applications submenu and you have changed the default browser should be more than enough.
    A more specific need will require a more detailed explanation of what you want to get and where. If the above advice has solved your problem, then ignore the other suggestions. I sometimes try to give out too much information when I am not sure what is being asked.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hi @blub4747,

Could you tell us what language you use, what version of antiX is installed and what desktop area are you using?

This information can be useful to indicate what the likely name of the menu should be on your antiX. For example in English it is “IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager” or “Toolbar Icon Manager”, in Brazilian Portuguese language it is “Gerenciador de Ícones da Barra de Ferramentas IceWM”, in Portuguese European language it is “Gestor de Ícones da Barra de Ferramentas” and so on.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá @blub4747,

Poderia nos informar qual idioma você utiliza, qual versão do antiX está instalada e qual é a área de trabalho que você está utilizando?

Estas informações podem ser úteis para indicarmos qual deve ser o provável nome do menu em seu antiX. Por exemplo em Inglês é “IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager” ou “Toolbar Icon Manager”, em idioma Português do Brasil é “Gerenciador de Ícones da Barra de Ferramentas IceWM”, em idioma Português de Portugal/Europeu é “Gestor de Ícones da Barra de Ferramentas” e assim por diante.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Hello sorry for my late reply.
    Thank you all alot for the support.
    The provided solution eg

Worked fine for me.
    And so for languages English is my second language and I do prefer to use it.
    Since it is probably the best way to reach a large number of people.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

blub4747,

The “.desktop” files that you added in ~/.local/share/applications, to be displayed in the menu and sub menu, you need to apply the command in the terminal: $ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global and press the Enter key.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

blub4747,

Os arquivos “.desktop” que você adicionou em ~/.local/share/applications, para serem exibidos no menu e no sub menu, você precisa aplicar o comando no terminal: $ sudo desktop-menu –write-out-global e pressione a tecla Enter.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.