Which version do you recommend choosing?

Forum Forums General Hardware Which version do you recommend choosing?

• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Jun 25-5:05 pm by blur13.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Robin

After this issue, I am not recommending 32-bits to any user.

In the end it turned out it is pretty easy to run the program in question anyway on current 32 bit antiX.

Moreover if your hardware is only 32 bit, you have no choice to run 64 bit. So it doesn’t make much sense to say sweeping “not recommend 32 bit to any user“. On the contrary, it is not recommended to any user of 32 bit hardware to try to install a 64 bit version of an OS or software, which must fail.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

abc-nix

You know exactly what I meant, Robin. I am talking about when 32-bits is an option, not a necessity.

Xunzi_23

@abcnix,
          What Robin wrote makes sense, might be better to have written what you meant, not no recommendation.

New users could be mislead, some of the recent lights might even try to install 64 bit in 32 bit only systems.

On top the thread you quoted reads like the OP was either very skill limited or a disrupter, failing to take advice.
          Claiming updating Key does not work, it takes about a minute at most and as long as the user enters commands correctly
          is working without issues. Not one person here has said it gave them a problem to copy and paste a couple of lines
          in to the terminal.

abc-nix

What Robin wrote makes sense, might be better to have written what you meant, not no recommendation.

Ok. I will change the reply.

Robin

You know exactly what I meant, Robin. I am talking about when 32-bits is an option, not a necessity.

Yes, @abc-nix, for sure I do perfectly know what you have meant. But as Xunzi pointed out: There are users out in the wild who do not. I have already seen so called digital natives actually trying to install 64 bit software on 32 bit hardware, heavily complaining that nothing works properly and everything fails.

So many thanks for your clarifying edit!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

blur13

@abc-nix

From the perspective of someone like you who helps out a lot on the forum and encounters people having problems with 32-bit versions of antiX, I can see why you think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

From the perspective of users who know what they are doing, installing 32-bit on 64-bit capable hardware might offer a path to a more responsive system. It really depends on what the system is going to be used for. The selection of software is more limited, but still surprisingly accommodative.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.