why am I having to use sudo in root account?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions why am I having to use sudo in root account?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by userx-bw Jan 9-10:44 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    userx-bw

I just installed antix on an existing partition, 1. I could not formate root, not format the second partition where /home would be then install, it failed, as I already have /home on it, I did not see a just mount /home no format, so I put /home on root side. now I am in root switching home to the second partition,

root@antix123:~# blkid
    bash: blkid: command not found

and

root@antix123:~# userdel -r userx
    bash: userdel: command not found
    root@antix123:~# su
    root@antix123:~# sudo userdel -r userx
    userdel: /var/mail/userx not owned by userx, not removing

It looks like your root is not root? because I could not get the UUID by using blkid I used the old way instead /dev/sda2 /home I have not gotten any further yet, because I just felt the need t post this before proceeding with moving /home to the second partition that it should have been easily able to just mount it without needing to format it first.

ver 17? looks like it still needs a little more polishing??

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Since I cannot reproduce any of your errors, either you have a bad iso that installed or a bad instillation.

You didn’t say which version of antiX.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

userx-bw

It is the very latest and greatest, I’ll have to go back to the sight and look hold on, antiX-17.3.1_x64-full.iso I also ran into issues during the initial upgrading, I had it switch repos to testing during install, and

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/apulse_0.1.12-2_amd64.deb (--unpac$
     trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/apulse/libpulse-simple.so.0', which is al$
     Errors were encountered while processing:
      /var/cache/apt/archives/apulse_0.1.12-2_amd64.deb
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

then trying to open geany to put that in to it for safe keeping, It would not even open, so I used nano instead, then rebooted, now login after entering name and passwd took an exceptional long time to get past the login screen, a good 5 to 10 second or more, I didn’t count it off, before letting me in, and I had to re-establish the wifi then control center icons are no longer there. I am going to run update and upgrade again to see what happens. (using the command line)

$ sudo apt update
    Hit:2 http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/testing testing InRelease
    Hit:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease                          
    Hit:1 http://security-cdn.debian.org testing/updates InRelease                           
    Hit:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing InRelease                                  
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.              
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    	LANGUAGE = (unset),
    	LC_ALL = (unset),
    	LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
        are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    67 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

I donno is that a “bad” install?
    is that the proper repo addresses, and sub dir or whatever they are called.
    Hit:2 http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/testing testing InRelease

I am going to do a quick re-install and see if I get the same results hold on….

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by userx-bw.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I would not use testing, stick to stretch/stable

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

userx-bw

and what is it there for then, is it more dangerous then using Slackware current?

I’m currently upgrading a fresh install. btw.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

As it say in the installer option – for experts.

userx-bw

well it is not like I have not used Debian before, and how does one become an expert, by staying tied it his or hers mothers apron strings or cutting them and learning how to fly on ones own? even if it takes a little help from others.

Unpacking winff-doc (1.5.5-5) over (1.5.5-1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-Y7D35G/202-apulse_0.1.12-2_amd64.deb
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu", line 243, in <module>
        locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, "")
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 581, in setlocale
        return _setlocale(category, locale)
    locale.Error: unsupported locale setting
    Updating Slim

Python is having issues with locales

userx@antix1:~
    $ su
    Password: 
    root@antix1:/home/userx# env | grep LANG
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

and I know it is not normal for it to pause for any amount of time to login a su which it took forver.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Since testing is as it says ‘testing’ sometimes things get added or removed that ‘break’ an install.

Anyhow, does apt-get -f install show anything useful?

userx-bw

I’m updating locale right now, I’ll run that next, thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.