Why two versions of Firefox in repos?

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Why two versions of Firefox in repos?

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jun 21-8:48 pm by macondo.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I routinely update all security patches and then the antix updates. A few weeks ago, I noted that Friefox 67 was available for download in addition to the latest update to 60.7.

The difference in their origin is that one comes from MX (67) and the other (60.7) comes from antix-17.

Just wonder whether both are supposed to be present in the antiX repos. I just checked the repo manager and only a single antiX repo is checked and no MX (nonantiX) repo is listed.

Since I have a large number of bookmarks in the ESR Firefox browser (now 60.7) which are carried over to each update, I am not rushing to use v. 67.

Is there an advantage to v. 67 for us users of antiX 17?

Just curious.

stevesr0

[removing my longwinded and partially incorrect reply]

refer to anticapitalista’s post, below

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by skidoo.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

antiX defaults to using Debian’s firefox-esr.
    We also added firefox to the package-installer for those that want the latest firefox upstream (packaged by the good folks over at MX)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Is there an advantage to v. 67 for us users of antiX 17?

v60.7esr is “firefox-esr” extended service release.
    Beyond July2019 it will no longer receive security updates https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

masinickmasinick

Short answer: the current Firefox 60.7 ESR is the current version of the Firefox Extended Support Release. About the same time as Firefox 68.0 is released, Firefox 60.8 ESR will be released. I found this information at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Brian Masinick

Thanks all for comments.

I will lookup the advantages of 67 over 60.

If 68 is the next long term support version, will 60 or 67 automagically update to it?

stevesr0

If 68 is the next long term support version, will 60 or 67 automagically update to it?

Yes

If you would like to prevent that from happening, you can proactively issue the command:

sudo apt-mark hold firefox-esr

^— For peace of mind, or to recheck later, you can verify the hold status via the command
    apt-mark showhold (sudo not required here)

eugen-beugen-b

The newer one is faster, the older one uses less RAM. But I haven’t measuered, just a guesstimate.

@skidoo,

Thanks.

stevesr0

macondomacondo

The new one gave me no sound. Probably uses pulseaudio instead of alsa, went back to FF-esr 60

antiX Core 64 Bit Runit XFS JWM

"Sometimes a man finds his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.