Wicd holding up the boot process.

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” Wicd holding up the boot process.

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jul 27-2:07 am by roland.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    roland

I am running 17.4.1 on various PCs and a laptop and notice that the boot process is usually held up by Wicd until it either locates a Wlan and makes the requested network connection or times out waiting. In both cases there is a delay sometimes protracted, and when the Wlan is unavailable and the boot eventually completes without a connection, it then usually never connects automatically if the Wlan subsequently appears, and I have to connect manually, using the GUI.

Am I right in thinking I should be using Ceni and not Wicd for handling Wlan connects? If so how can I keep Wicd out of the frame? By removing it perhaps?

Can I move Wicd out of the runlevels it appears in by default, to somewhere it will not impede the boot process, or out of them altogether? Or can I set my Wlan connect in a batch script to be run automatically at a suitable point immediately the boot has completed, in the Cron for example?

I am still very much a beginner, being a mainframe man.

Is there anything else I can change or install to speed up Wlan location and connection?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Ath10 driver looks OK.

Usually I poke around in /var when looking for reasons, dmseg command helps with that.

https://linuxaria.com/article/how-to-make-dmesg-timestamp-human-readable

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

If you decide to use Ceni instead, disable wicd startup
    Edit ~/.desktop-session/startup and comment out the wicd line. (You can also set /etc/default/wicd content to START_DAEMON=no). If it still autostarts, let us know and we will try to figure it out.
    Later you can decide if you want to purge wicd or return to it.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Xecure.
    roland
    Helpful
    Up

I tried to disable WICD but it already seemed to be defined disabled. I attach the user desktop session startup fime and the /etc/default/wicd file.

Can I run apt-get remove wicd or will that be a one-way trip or maybe fail? I prefer Ceni and recall on previous posts it is the recommended tool to use. Is there some other tool in release 19 that sidelines this problem? If so I would consider moving up to 19 (again) although last time I had to regress for several reasons.

Thanks for all responses.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I tried to disable WICD but it already seemed to be defined disabled. I attach the user desktop session startup fime and the /etc/default/wicd file.

Can I run apt-get remove wicd or will that be a one-way trip or maybe fail? I prefer Ceni and recall on previous posts it is the recommended tool to use. Is there some other tool in release 19 that sidelines this problem? If so I would consider moving up to 19 (again) although last time I had to regress for several reasons.

Thanks for all responses.

If you have a personal preference for ceni, there is no reason to avoid it. Do make sure that all other network management tools are disabled.
    If you have Connman installed in addition to the other tools, either use it instead or remove it from the system, and make sure ceni is the only tool that is enabled.

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

I just used to fix something else with my gear

antix control center > System > Startup Services

Then untick all the enabled boxes to show empty on conman startup.
    No uninstall. I just told it not to start without input from me.

That fixed all sorts of problems I was having in another thread.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/ma-companion-xecure/

Not sure if 17 has this.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

One more comment:

At one time or another, between MX Linux and antiX I have used four different network manager programs:

° Ceni
    ° Wicd
    ° Connman
    ° Network Manager

All of them work well and effectively. The first time I used Connman I had some initial challenges configuring it until I had time to examine it and see the key to getting it to work.

One item was to enable the network device I wanted to use, Wi-Fi, and turn off the other interfaces. I missed this initially. The other thing is that there is a command line interface and a GUI interface. Once I got that clearly identified I was able to set it up easily.

Some people have difficulty setting up the Wi-Fi interface with Wicd because of the different ways the interface is inconsistently identified, such as eth0 versus wlan0.

Same with networking in general. Once the various capabilities and options are understood the rest is usually straightforward. The good news is that there is a lot of information available for network manager programs. Search Google or your favorite search engine for plenty of additional information.

Brian Masinick

roland
    Helpful
    Up

I removed Wicd entirely and things have improved regarding holdups. Release 17 does not include Connman (I believe), However I installed Network Assistant when I moved up from 16 for some reason. I will remove it to gauge what it does behind the scenes if anything. Sticking with Ceni seems the way to go, for now at least.

This is an area worth looking at again for the technical support men and ladies, not necessarily with a view to removal of packages but making recommendations regarding what to use and how to use it. For example I only know a Wlan is connected by noticing it appear in the conky display. I don’t know what package brought it there.

Thanks to all contributors.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@roland:

The main reason for offering more than one network manager program is that on occasion only a specific application works for particular hardware. Since we try to support both old and new hardware, offering more than one network manager sometimes helps.

The downside is that the user has to be careful to enable only one network manager at a time and preferably stick with the one that works best for them.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

In the past I have used either Ceni or manually configured wicd.
    Connman is now provided for antiX Full and antiX Base. Ceni is provided for antiX Net and Core – these are the antiX 19.2,1 defaults (the current release).

Brian Masinick

roland
    Helpful
    Up

I settled for purging my installation of all networking tools except Ceni, which is now satisfactory although the delay when Ceni finds out there is no Wlan available is still there, but maybe that’s logical and expected.

I have a dual cpu PC in preparation and when I try release 19 again maybe I’ll give Connman a try.

Thanks for all contributions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.