Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

• This topic has 38 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jan 31-12:22 pm by Minux1.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

For a long time, people have been having problems setting up their wireless connections with connman. Some were not able to find it, for some connman did not perform as expected. Others started using CENI before trying out connman.

I have created a video for all those users who are having difficulties with connman. It includes a few case scenarios:
    – Connman is not in the Control Centre.
    – Wifi is softlocked
    – Connman doesn’t scan for Wireless Access Points.
    – Connman gives out a strange error.

I hope this video can help all those who have problems with connman.

The only case I forgot to include is “The user set up wifi with CENI before trying out connman”.
    For those reading this, the solution is to edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove the configuration created by ceni.
    To edit the file, execute in terminal:
    sudo geany /etc/network/interfaces
    Edit the file until it only contains these lines:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # /etc/network/interfaces
    #
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    # Used by ceni but not by connman

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Save the file and restart your system.

Thanks for reading.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

For a long time, people have been having problems setting up their wireless connections with connman. Some were not able to find it, for some connman did not perform as expected. Others started using CENI before trying out connman.

I have created a video for all those users who are having difficulties with connman. It includes a few case scenarios:
    – Connman is not in the Control Centre.
    – Wifi is softlocked
    – Connman doesn’t scan for Wireless Access Points.
    – Connman gives out a strange error.

<iframe title=”antiX 19.2 – Connect to WI-FI using Connman” width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/b5Ryp4gM2Eg?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

I hope this video can help all those who have problems with connman.

The only case I forgot to include is “The user set up wifi with CENI before trying out connman”.
    For those reading this, the solution is to edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove the configuration created by ceni.
    To edit the file, execute in terminal:
    sudo geany /etc/network/interfaces
    Edit the file until it only contains these lines:

#

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Save the file and restart your system.

Thanks for reading.

Great stuff Xecure!

Thanks for your many helpful suggestions, definitely on this matter and consistently for many useful topics. I appreciate your efforts and explanations very much! 👍😎💡

Brian Masinick

christophechristophe

Please make this sticky. Excellent video!

XecureXecure

Thanks, masinick and christophe.

It is the first video I have uploaded and it is much more time consuming than I expected. I have to take my hat off to dolphin_oracle for doing this so many times in the past. When editing the video I realized all the typos there, but it was my third time re-recording, so I just ignored them. I hope the viewers can ignore them and are able to follow the steps and understand what is going on.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: my thanks to both

I have not created any videos but I can appreciate the effort that goes into the work. Your comments also give us an even better appreciation for the work that Dolphin Oracle has done for a long time.

Keep up the good work. It all adds up to make an effective community and excellent software.

Brian Masinick

KooKoo

Xecure You are winning hearts too it’s the mood music. lol

Merryn Salas
    1 hour ago
    I need boyfriend 💋💋💋💋💋💞💞💞💞

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Testing 21a on T430.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Many thanks for this excellent video Xecure!
    I added it to the antiX main page under news.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

capreacaprea

Very cool, hopefully this will resolve some of the uncertainties of users with connman.

(BTW, why is Merryn Salas so sure it’s a boy ?)

@Xecure- I’ve been quite busy, but I’ve now watched your video: great, great stuff!!!
    Just one minor suggestion, in case you create more videos: use a small text editor window to write your messages, instead of doing it straight in the terminal, deleting everything and writing the commands… that may confuse newbies not used to the terminal…
    You basically covered 99% of all possible wi-fi problems under antiX and how to solve them!

P.

XecureXecure

Thanks for all the feedback and the encouragement. I will try to improve if I ever do a new video. Initially, I wasn’t going to edit much, except blur the wi-fi access point info and add some music, but I saw the need for highlighting right-click and hold left-click. Then I started replacing the terminal comments with short captions, but every change was more work than expected. I wasn’t patient (I was lazy) and I just wanted to end it and upload it, so this is the result.

Thanks, anticapitalista, for publishing it in the main website. Hopefully it is easy to find in search engines, and we can resolve this small issue some people experience.

About the spammy comment, it is no more. It was funny, though.

KooKoo

@Xecure

I spent a couple of days visiting my son and tired connecting my T430 to wifi it would connect ok, but on reboot the connection would be lost my fault entirely for not reading your post. As per #41036.

All good here.

$rfkill list
    0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    2: hci0: Bluetooth

But not here.

#

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0             <<< now removed
    iface eth0 inet dhcp           <<<

allow-hotplug wlan0           <<<
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp         <<<
    	wpa-psk eCHO0210       <<<
    	wpa-ssid OPTUS_####

In the future will the troubles with connman interfering with ceni be fixed? As I now see connman in action I have no problem with it, and it will help new users connect to wifi easier if they are not used to using something like ceni.

Thanks for your time.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: grammar

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Testing 21a on T430.

I find that Connman works too, especially once you get used to it. Also, if it IS set up properly (and does not conflict with the settings of another network management program, it will automatically connect to the wireless name you select

I’m using antiX 19.2.1 runit too; started with Base and installed my preferred applications and utilities. It’s efficient and works well.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

In the future will the troubles with Connman interfering with ceni be fixed?

If the script antix-wifi-switch (placeholder name) works well and is approved, then switching from Connman to Ceni (or viceversa) should be much easier in the future antiX releases.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

I’m running 19.2.1_386-base from the USB on an ASUS Eee PC netbook (4 GB, 512M). Connman doesn’t appear in Control Panel under Network. I followed the video and everything works until I restart the connman service. I don’t get any errors but I still don’t see any wifi networks. Also, Connman still doesn’t show up in Control Panel. I tried a lot of manual commands from the terminal and at one point, using Ceni, I was able to detect the wifi networks. However, after editing the connection with the SSID (I have a hidden network) and passphrase it still wouldn’t connect. It would attempt to but always failed with a “Bad Password” error. I tried re-entering the passphrase in quotes and also tried prefacing it with s2: both in quotes and without quotes. Nothing worked.

What’s interesting is when I run the full system I can get wifi to work but I think I still needed to restart the service to get Connman to appear. I would use the full system but when I try to install it it gets about 80 or 90% through the installation and freezes with a message about not being able to set the user passwords. I suspect it needs more than the 4 GB of space on this netbook. I really like how Antix runs on this netbook when I’m connected on the wired ethernet connection but it won’t be any good to me without wifi.

Any more suggestions on how I can enable wifi on the base version?

capreacaprea

Yes, a great script was written by Xecure for switching the wifi from connman to ceni or vice versa.
    It is not yet fully tested, but I have not had any problems with it so far.
    You can download it here antix-wifi-switch0110.zip
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/testers-needed-antix-wifi-switcher-bash-script/page/2/#post-41730

Otherwise you have to remove connman and make some steps like here written under B.Use ceni

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/hello-world-but-how-to-get-wlan-online/#post-40744

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.