Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

• This topic has 48 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Apr 15-9:59 pm by Dost88.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

Connman doesn’t appear in Control Panel under Network. I followed the video and everything works until I restart the connman service. I don’t get any errors but I still don’t see any wifi networks.

So, you have enable wifi (right-click Switch WIFI to ON) and, after restarting the connman service, you still cannot see any networks when holding left-click on the connman icon?
    Are there any other networks showing when using antiX full and connman? Is your hidden network the only network close by?

What’s interesting is when I run the full system I can get wifi to work

You could always use ethernet cable to connect to the internet, and upgrade your antiX base, remove connman-ui and install cmst (connman gui used in antiX full).

sudo apt purge connman-ui
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install cmst
    sudo apt upgrade

Then launch connman from the Control centre (this time it will be cmst).

You solved my problem. I didn’t realize the icon with the two arrows pointing in opposite directions was the connman icon. I thought it was just network status since the ‘x’ would go away when I connected by wire. Also, I didn’t know I had to “hold” the left click to see the networks. I was only clicking on it. I must have missed that in the documentation. Connman still doesn’t show up in Control Center but I was able to connect and get online. I’m going to proceed with the installation. Hopefully, it will still work from the hard disk.

Thanks again!

XecureXecure

Good thing you solved it.

I didn’t realize the icon with the two arrows pointing in opposite directions was the connman icon. I thought it was just network status since the ‘x’ would go away when I connected by wire. Also, I didn’t know I had to “hold” the left click to see the networks.

Sorry for not pointing this out better in the video. I tried using some text just above the connman icon to point if it is a left click, right-click, etc, but it wasn’t clear enough.
    I will try to highlight it better next time.

i have installed 19 (released during 19). However, not able to get internet connection through static connection (etho). May be without driver or due to some other technical glitch. Even though newbie, I have done lot of trail and errors for connecting to my network. However, no internet connection was possible. Finally I have noticed new release 19.2(Hannie Schalf). To my surprise, static connection was easy peasy. i am posting from 19.2. I got connected to wired static internet connection. Very easy and stable. I have not checked the wifi connection. My primary requirement was to connect through static connection (eth0). It is a awesome release. Please accept my sincere hearty Congratulations to those who involved in this distribution.

How to enable hotpot through wired connection?.

XecureXecure

Hi, Ramachandran.

i am posting from 19.2. I got connected to wired static internet connection.
    […]
    How to enable hotpot through wired connection?.

It is good that you got ethernet working without a hitch in antiX 19.2. Was it using ceni or connman?
    About what you are asking, do you mean to share your ethernet conecction through wifi? I think you can do that with connman. What antiX flavor are you using (base or full)?

For antiX 19.2.1 base, right-click the connman icon in the system-tray, enable wifi and select “Share Connection”.
    For antiX 19.2 full, click the connman icon in the systemtray. You will see a new window. Enable Wifi there. Once wifi is working, on that same row where you powered Wi-Fi ON, there is a Tethering option set to OFF. Enable it and create the access point name. This should be enough to set the hotspot.

I have connected through connman. I have installed full version (1.4GB) in Dell Desktop precision. Unable to share connection (tethering). It seems that my usb dongle is not detecting. How to install driver for D-link DWA -132.

I don’t have a DWA-132 to test, but, if you haven’t done so, try getting a firmware update from https://www.dlink.co.th/dwa-132/ , it says “-Support Linux kernel 3.2.xversions,distribution verified Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 12.04.”

You could also download a driver, like http://global.dlink.com.sg/site_support/DWA-132/Driver/DWA-132A1_WPS_PluginSW111B02.zip
    Uncompress it and try to install it using Menu > Control Centre > Drivers > Windows Wiress Drivers > ” + Install New Driver” > select the path an of the several “inf” files extracted from the zip file, until you find one that works…

P.

XecureXecure

I have connected through connman. I have installed full version (1.4GB) in Dell Desktop precision. Unable to share connection (tethering). It seems that my usb dongle is not detecting. How to install driver for D-link DWA -132.

If you see a Wifi option in connman to be switched ON, your device is properly detected.
    You can check if the wifi device is detected executing:
    inxi -Nxz
    If the wifi is correctly detected, it will assing a driver to it. Share the output here if you like.

If you cannot switch WIFI ON, then that means, as you suspect, that the Wi-Fi donggle is not being detected.

But if the option DOES appear, after switching wifi ON in connman, try rebooting. Sometimes connman doesn’t listen to changes until the service restarts. Then you can see if you can create the tethering access point.

Sir, now my wifi is detecting. However, tethering is not possible. ( I have to share wired connection (static etho) via usb D-link dongle. Unable to slide tethering button. If possible, I will be happy that I can take connect my mobile phone. It is not a necessity. Just posted only. Sorry for the trouble.

XecureXecure

I have tested it myself and it works.

1. Make sure WIFI is enabled in connman.
    2. Connect ethernet cable.
    3. When I know internet is working, in the cmst (connman) interface, beside WIFI, I switch Tehtering to ON.
    4. A new window pops up asking for a name for the new access point. I write the new name.
    5. After accepting, a new window pops up asking for a password for this new access point. I write the password.
    6. After a few seconds, a new access point is created and I can connect to the hotspòt created. All my devices detect it.

If it doesn’t work for you, you need to explain what you have done, what you see, what you have tried, what errors pop up, etc. Just saying “it didn’t work” isn’t enough information. We need to understand more if you expect us to try to help you.

Now worked. Very Great to you for providing such a wonderful facility. What I was done earlier is that I tried to slide against etho. However, that was not moving. Now I have provided user and password against wifi dongle settings and that worked. Nicely done. !!!

Once again my BIG THANKS to you.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Ramachandran.
    Attachments:
    XecureXecure

Well done persisting, Ramachandran.
    Sometimes we just need to push a bit more before we get results. SOme people gave up to soon, but you did well getting to the end and to solving your problem.

Enjoy you antiX experience!

Running an old dinosaur … IBM ThinkPad G40 laptop (3GHz single core P4 CPU, 2GB RAM, 40 GB PATA/IDE HDD) … no issues with Connman.
    The wifi in this old beast is a D-Link PCMCIA card believe it or not Ripley.
    Had just finished watching a “Old British Bloke” youtube review of antiX 19.2 and remembered that he had used Connman to connect his wifi so I followed suit and it went off without a hitch.
    Amazingly every thing runs very well under antiX 19.2 on this Fred Flintstone era laptop.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

@Minux1: I have had outstanding results with antiX, not just 19.2.1, the current release, but throughout the lifetime of this distribution.
    Rarely have there been problems; any problems found have been either minor early configuration issues that have always been promptly fixed, or application defects, which are not the direct responsibility of the distribution; I have contacted application organizations in the past and have also had swift resolution (24-72 hours) for any problems I have properly reported. Anything not fixed were things I did not personally detect and report.

I’m really happy that you have had a positive experience. None of my hardware these days is brand new; my newest stuff is at least five years old; my oldest is well over ten years old; I have, in the past, had stuff even older and for one piece of equipment, only antiX and a few other systems with good support for aging equipment were even supporting it any more.

In the event that you do spot any issues or things you may question, please let us know. When or if you do so, please do your best to be as accurate and complete as possible, explaining and providing hardware details, the conditions that reproduce an issue and any other information or suggestions that are helpful. With great information from our fine community we do a good job of making the best possible software and many of us use gear that other people put in the trash or at the curb of their street. I hope that we can continue to excel and we will when we have a top notch community to help our developers and testers continually improve what we produce. Thanks for sharing with us and best wishes for continued success with our favorite software.

Brian Masinick

IP2IP2

Hello AntiX im new to the distro and kinda new to linux well id say I am ive been running linux now for about 2-3 months and been loving it trying out all kinds of different distros and learning them checking out linux libary books etc. I came across antiX and I love it its probably in the top 3 ive tried and ive tried almost all of the popular ones like ubuntu,mint,fedora, the list goes on but my only problem is that my wifi isnt even popping up? do i have to get debians firmware non-free packages and add them to dir /lib/firmware/ like debian 10 buster? because like i said when i right click the network managers i see nothing about wifi all i see is my eth0 ethernet connection if anyone from antiX or a friendly user in the AntiX/MX community could help me out and guide me to what i gotta do that would be great..

PS.. We all gotta learn at one time or another! and i dig this distro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.