Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

• This topic has 89 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated Aug 13-3:07 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Hi, antixjim.
    Now that you can properly connect to the Wireless Access Point, please try ceni instead of connman
    antix-wifi-switch --gui ceni
    Just to discard connman as a possible culprit

As the hardware is that old, you could try your luck with the 4.4 kernel (available fin antiX package manager or in cli-aptiX), which has proven to be more reliable on older hardware.

The kernel will recognize the all connected devices each time it boots, so I don’t think Theory 1 applies to your case.

You could check the kernel messages, in case it hints to possible errors:
    sudo dmesg
    during the running session, or even watch it in “real time”
    watch -x bash -c "sudo dmesg | tail -n20"
    Just to see if any errors pop up every time it connects and disconnects.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

It will take some time for a reply. I need to try another wifi card or get a keyboard with PS2 connector, because I do not want to damage the dongle. The keyboard I am now using is in a USB port that is adjacent to the open USB for the wifi dongle. A bulge in the dongle presses against the USB connector for the keyboard. As soon as I can try something I will get back to you.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I decided to try using the front UBS 1.1 port for the dongle for a test.

I plugged in the dongle and turned the computer on.

I ran sudo dmesg and saved the output which is attached.

I looks like it picked up everything after log in (perhaps after I turned on the computer).

I am afraid most of it means nothing to me.

The last eight lines kept repeating through the end of the file which was quite long.

I hate to put you to all this work.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I will try again to upload the file.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I am having trouble uploading a text file. Can you tell me how to do it. It is a copy of the file I created using antiX.

I tried sending the original file, a text file saved using Notpad, and pasting the text into this text window.

I am logged into the website using a Windows 10 computer running Firefox.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Trying again with a Liber Office document file.

Attachments:
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

It is very strange. There is no error at all. It takes 2 seconds to connect:

[   58.651540] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready
    [   59.342295] wlan1: authenticate with 24:f5:a2:6e:b0:8c
    [   59.481443] wlan1: send auth to 24:f5:a2:6e:b0:8c (try 1/3)
    [   59.485264] wlan1: authenticated
    [   59.493196] wlan1: associate with 24:f5:a2:6e:b0:8c (try 1/3)
    [   59.499370] wlan1: RX AssocResp from 24:f5:a2:6e:b0:8c (capab=0x1411 status=0 aid=1)
    [   59.586280] wlan1: associated
    [   59.837603] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan1: link becomes ready

and it suddenly disconnects after 3 seconds.
    [ 62.972839] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan1: link is not ready
    and it starts the same process again.

The devices are properly detected:

[   18.286088] usb 1-1: reset full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
    [   18.438116] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 5390, rev 0502 detected
    [   18.664069] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 5370 detected
    [   18.713839] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
    [   18.722451] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
    [   18.759685] rt2800usb 1-1:1.0 wlan1: renamed from wlan0
    [...]
    [   24.470549] networking done
    [...]
    [   57.193748] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
    [   57.223804] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.36

This may be a stupid question, but did you boot the Live USB/DVD in fail-safe mode?
    I think you will need to share with us the system information so we can try to find more info on the hardware (and if there were similar reports in the past)
    inxi -Fxz

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

No, I did not boot the Live DVD in fail-safe mode.

System Information from Compaq’s BIOS:

Product Name: Compaq PC
    Processor Type: AMD Duron
    Processor Speed: 700/100 MHz
    Memory Size: 768 MB
    System ROM Date: 07/26/01
    System ROM Family: 786K1
    Chassis Serial Number: 2H09FPPFJ46F
    Primary Drive 0: 131071 MB WDC-WD1600AAJB-00PVA0
    Secondary Drive 1: *CD-ROM IDE5232CO

System Information from running inxi -Fxz is in the attached file.

There are some error messages that show up between turning the computer on and when the login screen shows up, but I do not know what they mean, whether there is a resulting problem, how to fix them, or how to capture the screen output into a file.

Attachments:
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Unfortunately, I am not able to find this exact machine, but this is the most similar one I could find.

Ethernet seems to be the only reliable option. Even using PCI or USB for wifi seems to have issues (I don’t know if it is the network manager or the bandwidth).

If trying ceni didn’t help at all, the last thing you could try out is running an older kernel version (version 4.4) and see if that helps at all.

Hopefully @seaken64 or some other users that have had to deal with very old hardware may be able to provide their experience and advice. I, myself, am not as knowledgeable, and don’t know what else to try.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Way back in 1995 I bought my first home PC, a 100 Mhz Micron P100 PC. The specs look similar; maybe Seaken64 will recognize it, since he does have a few models that are of similar age.

I suggest trying one of our older releases; the reason is that the kernel project started to remove the support for some of the nineties vintage systems. There’s a small chance that the 3.x kernel will still support that 100 Mhz processor, but I was using Linux kernels in the V1.x series back then. If you are lucky a V3.x kernel might still support your hardware but a V 4.x kernel might not unless it’s an early V4.x kernel with specific legacy system support.

My old relic used to run a Slackware version from 1995-1996, for what it’s worth.

I vaguely recall someone else going back to at least antiX 15-16, maybe earlier than that to get a particular old system to recognize the hardware for a similar reason.

Check some of our past forum posts; seems like it’s come up within the past 12-24 months, maybe more recently than that.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello antixjim,

I suggest you test the ISO built by Xecure which has the 4.4.0-264 kernel.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-antix-on-computers-with-a-motherboard-with-sis-or-via-chipset/page/7/#post-62423.

Several motherboards and video cards that didn’t work well with the 4.9.0-264 kernel, worked very well with the 4.4.0-264 kernel, from pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso or pseudo-antiX ISOs -19-legacy-bet3_x64.iso. For your 32-bit processor use the pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso ISO, so we’ll know if your connection problem will be solved with kernel 4.4.0-264.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

– – – – –

Olá antixjim,

Eu sugiro que você teste a ISO construída pelo Xecure que possui o kernel 4.4.0-264.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-antix-on-computers-with-a-motherboard-with-sis-or-via-chipset/page/7/#post-62423.

Várias placas-mães e placas de vídeo que não funcionaram bem com o kernel 4.9.0-264, funcionaram muito bem com o kernel 4.4.0-264, das ISOs pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso ou pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_x64.iso. Para o seu processador de 32 bits utilize a ISO pseudo-antiX-19-legacy-bet3_386.iso, assim saberemos se o seu problema de conexão será resolvido com o kernel 4.4.0-264.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

The CPU is supposedly has a 700 MHz processor. I do not know why the System Information shows 700/100 MHz.

I think it is time to give up on the wireless connection problem. I can move the computer and connect to the router using a LAN cable when I need internet connection, which will not be real often.

This was an old computer that was in the garage that I am using to learn what I need to know to install Linux and applications on my working computer when Microsoft tells me I cannot upgrade it to Windows 11. My working computer is an ASUS CM1745 that is only about 10 years old. It is 64 bit, has a dual-core AMD A4 3420 processor, 2.8 GHz, chipset type AMD A55.

I did not find older versions of antiX and I need something that will load using a CD. I am going to reinstall anitX on the Compaq, this time while connected to the Internet (last time I was not connected to the internet during the installation). I do not think this will make a difference regarding the wireless connection, but it will give me a fresh start. I will also be able to check out the various sources of applications and install and test them before going back to an off-line status and try out the various applications.

I thank you all for your help and counsel during this time. You have bee very helpful.

norm
    Helpful
    Up

I solved my 19.3 wi-fi connman issue as follows, hope it helps.

As soon as you do software updates two trouble softwares “connman” and ‘connman-vpn” are getting replaced with the new version, which are causing to freeze the internet access.
    So, I marked (flagged) and hold these two softwares before updating the rest of other softwares, right after fresh installation and before major updates, it worked, no wi-fi freeze problem.

$ sudo apt-mark hold connman

$ sudo apt-mark hold connman-vpn

$ apt-work showhold ( to see and verify that the above two softwares are permanently on hold, i.e. not to be updated)

then do perform other software updates.

Antix is a great distro,
    the only linux distro works for my old HP laptop with **&**NVIDIA legacy graphic card + nouveau driver + kernel 4.19.184 LTS

Norm

link: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/internet-connection-issue/page/3/#post-64471

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I cannot explain it and I do not pretend to understand it, but:

After successfully installing Linux Mint 10 (which indicated no internet connection even though I had the WiFi USB plugged in), I did the reboot called for at the end of the install it would not load to the login screen. So, leaving the WiFi USB plugged in, I reinstalled anitX.

While in antiX Live in went into Connman to connect to the router, which appeared to be successful, so I proceeded with the install. I had to re-do it because I had forgotten to select the hard drive ans the boot drive (so the GRUB install failed). I told it to save the Live settings for the install.

I rebooted after completing the install, went into Connman again to connect to the router, and again it appeared to be successful.

I ran the update antiX in Control Centere and that was successful. For some reason I apparently had to use Connman again to connect to the router, but again it appeared to be successful. I then proceeded to install some applications (including Package Installer) and that was successful as well.

I have now shut down the computer and will see if things are working properly in the morning.

The only thing I can think of is possibly the past times I tried to install antiX from the CD, I may not have had the WiFi USB plugged in at the time i rebooted to start the installation from the CD. Why this would have made a difference, I have no idea.

I will let you know tomorrow if everything is still working properly. Oh, I installed Firefox, but it does not seem to load. I have not tried one of the other browsers.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Good to know the connection seems to be more stable now.
    When you reboot, you may have to fix the DNS symlink (if internet connection fails).

I installed Firefox, but it does not seem to load.

You may be limited in the Web Browsers department. They are removing support for older CPUs
    See what flags the CPU shows.
    inxi -Cx | grep "flags"
    Most browser require the CPU to have at least the sse instruction set. From previous post, it doesn’t seem to be the case for you CPU the fAMD Duron Spitfire, so you may have to get used to a terminal based web browser. See if links2 works.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.