Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Wifi with connman – antiX 19.2

• This topic has 89 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated Aug 13-3:07 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I turned on the Compaq, logged on, and Connman came up on the screen as usual. Connman showed the WiFi USB was on, but not connected. So, I clicked on Wireless, clicked on my network, then on Connect, and it connected, and is stable again this morning.

I do not know why it is not connecting to my wireless network automatically (maybe I did not wait long enough for that to happen), but that is a minor problem for now.

I have heard that Firefox uses a lot of resources, so I am not surprised that there is no response when I try to load it. I am planing to see which other graphical preinstalled browsers might work and try them out.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Something bad happened.

I went to Package Installer to see what brousers I could install. I may have gotten a no internet connection at that point, I do not remember.

I then used Manage Packages. It suggested antiX updates which I think I ran. I also found and installed Link2 (which did not show up in Package Installer).

Now whenever I try to do something that requires a connection to the Internet I get a no internet connection present.

Running Manage Packages gets a message that a file is missing and suggests running apt-get update. When I do I get a series of error messages, a message that a file is missing and another suggestion to run apt-get update again.

Do you know what might have happened? Do I need to reinstall antiX to fix this?

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I ran the commands you suggested above and in the link:

Regarding the browser issue:

inxi -Cx | grep “flags” resulted in flags: pae bogomips: 1402

Regarding the no internet connection issue:

service resolvconf.status resulted in unrecognized service

readlink /etc/resolv.config resulted in (nothing)

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Do this command to restore connman as before

sudo rm /etc/default/connman
    sudo service connman restart

antiX does not use systemd, so the command for services are without dots. They are as I posted them, exactly as they were posted.

links2 is already installed. Run in terminal
    links2
    and press the Escape key to show the top menus. F1 key to display helps (will tell you the keyboard shortcuts). “g” key to enter a http path. etc.

Included in antiX there is also elinks.

Regarding the browser issue:

inxi -Cx | grep “flags” resulted in flags: pae bogomips: 1402

Your CPU does not support sse, so no modern GUI browser that I know of will run on the PC, unfortunately. I don’t know if dillo supports it (also installed in linux)

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you. The commands below resolved the no internet connection problem.

sudo rm /etc/default/connman
    sudo service connman restart

I ran Package Installer and found Pailmoon – non sse version – 32 bit only Palemoon lightweight browser for PIV, PIII, PII

I tried installing and running it. I does run, but painfully slow, even when set up to never show images, but it does run. I do not consider this a problem, because I will probably be using some other computer for most of my web browsing.

Thanks again. Everything is working well again.

Is there a way for the WiFi USB to connect to the router automatically, or do I have to connect it each time using Connman?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Good to know you found a compatible browser and got the internet to work.

On that computer, even if the cmst program pops up, if your Wireless Access Point appears as favorite (a heart symbol), it will eventually auto-connect (You will see it autoconnect if you wait for a minute or less, it eventually does on slow CPU systems).
    You can check if autoconnect is enabled (“Details” tab at the top, select your Access Point, and click the “Properties” button; you will see if AutoConnect is enabled, so you will be sure it will autoconnect).
    More options in the Preferences tab (like “Retry Failed connection” at the bottom left).

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

There are a few primarily text websites I can connect to quickly enough that I can play with.

I had thought that I just was not waiting long enough for the auto-connect to work. Good to know that was the case.

Have a good week and thanks for all your help this past week.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I just noticed that I am not seeing Firewall Configuration in Control Centre as shown in the Help file.

Should I be seeing Firewall Configuration?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Should I be seeing Firewall Configuration?

I think the firewall was removed from the base edition to reduce the ISO file size t CD size.
    You can install it with:
    sudo apt install gufw
    and it should appear again on the Control Centre under the Network tab.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

I am sure you are right. The file is large and probably would have created a situation where the install files would not fit on a CD.

I entered the command line and it installed. Now to figure out what to do with it.

On another note, I logged on this morning and let the computer sit while I picked up our breakfast boxes (about 15 minutes). When I returned the wireless had not connected and there were no wireless networks showing. Rescan did not do anything, so I rebooted and connected the wireless manually. Maybe the computer is too old and slow for the auto-connect to work properly. I can connect manually though, and that is fine.

I added some primarily text websites to Pale Moon and they are working well.

I have not found a decent game of Freecell yet. The only ones I have found do not have a redo function. But, that is for another day.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Just in case someone else has the same problem. I tried going from a temporary 8 character passcode back to my original 60 character passcode for WiFi connection. This did not work. It started constantly connecting and disconnecting as originally. I then tried a new 12 character passcode. Seemed to work for a short time, but started connecting and disconnecting again. I cut back again to 8 characters. This time it seemed to hold. Apparent lesson learned: Either Connman or antiX will not work with a WiFi passcode more than 8 characters long. This may have been the problem I was having from the beginning. Many thanks to everyone who helped me overcome this and other problems during the past week or so. I think I have things running smoothly now.

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Well, I messed up big time. I tried to update the passcode to a different 8 character passcode and everything went south. The wireless is connecting and disconnecting as it did when I entered this discussion. I reinstalled antiX while connected to the router with a LAN cable and did an update. I then tried connecting tp the router without success. Before disconnecting the LAN cable I installed the programs I wanted. Interesting, at one point, although the LAN was on and connected, it told me I did not have an Internet connection.

I will run it off-line for now, trying every now and then to get the wireless working, but I do not expect to be successful. I am going to my son’s house (hopefully this weekend) and take a look at the old computers he has. I think he has several that are much newer than my old Compaq. I will then assemble something that may work and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. Sorry I messed up.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

There’s no “messing up” as you are learning; it is called “learning” for a good reason.

These are learning experiences.

In 1995 when I decided to buy my own home computer, I bought books and read for a while. Before I did that I read online and also “talked shop” at work.

Since I worked at a computer systems company and I was also in an operating systems group (and a tech support group and engineering research before that, coming to Linux from a UNIX background helped; still, I read, looked, listened and learned.

Many of the GNU system utilities in Linux were already familiar to me and I frequently built my own copies from source code; that also helped. Still, there was a starting point for UNIX and a starting point for Linux.

My company in the eighties sent me to AT&T training for C programming and UNIX courses and I also went to NCR classes for additional background. After that, the rest I had to do with what I learned.

I spent many evenings in the eighties using the USEnet to learn.

Brian Masinick

antixjim
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for the kind words.

Actually, I got it working again. Turning off the LAN cable connection seemed to help. Then I was faced with I was connected to the router but not the internet, although ping gave the correct results. I found something about this in another forum and tried a suggestion from Xecure. In entered the two commands, and although the second line cam back with an apparent error, I rebooted anyway as suggested, and when I logged back on it was fixed.

I am not going to make anymore changes for now other than to load some games and programs and surf the internet.

Thanks again to everyone.

stevesr0
    Helpful
    Up

Hi antixjm,

FWIW, I have been able to use my 60+ network wifi password with connman (once the symbolic links are properly setup <g>).

stevesr0

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.