Wiki-FAQ di antiX 17 tradotte in italiano – antiX 17 FAQ translated into Italian

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Wiki-FAQ di antiX 17 tradotte in italiano – antiX 17 FAQ translated into Italian

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Spartak77 May 22-2:50 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Spartak77
    Spartak77

I have translated the antiX 17 Faq ( https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/index.html ) into Italian:
    I used DropBox for sharing. You can view and download them in ODT format and in PDF format. These are the links:

Faq antiX 17 in italiano in formato .odt : https://www.dropbox.com/s/q34m30j9t1rn6ye/FaqAntixIta.odt?dl=0
    Faq antiX 17 in italiano in formato .pdf : https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbg4h7jyn1swfzo/FaqAntixIta.pdf?dl=0

Compared to the original English Faq I have included an introduction to the SSH-Conduit Faq, I have deepened the chapter about SpaceFM and added a chapter about the shares via FTP protocol.

Ssh-Conduit is an application that allows the sharing of files and folders remotely, like other applications that do the same thing, needs to open some ports of the router. In Ssh-conduit’s Faq this is not specified because it is probably assumed that the user knows it.
    Certainly advanced users know this, but after reading the Faq indications I tried to use Ssh-conduit without success until I realized I had to open the router’s doors. For that I thought it would be useful to add a preamble explaining port-forwarding with a description of a way to open a port on the router.

Regarding the FTP protocol, I preferred to give some guidance and advice through a specific chapter, because I realized that a user who uses antiX as main computer, or with a certain frequency, will certainly need it. This is because every time an antiX user needs to transfer files from a smartphone to the computer or vice versa, it will be difficult to do so using a usb/micro-usb cable, because the MTP protocol is poorly supported by minimal Desktop environments such as those used by antiX.

Then I enlarged the section about SpaceFM, because in the Faq of antiX was really small, but this File Manager has really many possibilities and interesting features that are worth knowing, also considering that antiX uses desktop environments that are the result of the interaction between a Window Manager and a File Manager, where one of the two File Managers provided by antiX is SpaceFM (the other is Rox).

I wrote these three additions in Italian and translated them into English, so who handle the antiX documentation can view them to decide if they can be integrated into the official FAQs.
    I will attach the three translations text in a tread specifically dedicated to them.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Spartak77.
    Forum Admin

SamK

Thanks for trying to help with your translation. I cannot read Italian so this feedback relates only to your forum post in an attempt to help you effort.

Unfortunately the following is not entirely accurate.

Ssh-Conduit is an application that allows the sharing of files and folders remotely, like other applications that do the same thing, needs to open some ports of the router. In Ssh-conduit’s Faq this is not specified because it is probably assumed that the user knows it.
    Certainly advanced users know this, but after reading the Faq indications I tried to use Ssh-conduit without success until I realized I had to open the router’s doors. For that I thought it would be useful to add a preamble explaining port-forwarding with a description of a way to open a port on the router.

Ssh-Conduit is an application that allows the sharing of files and folders remotely, like other applications that do the same thing, needs to open some ports of the router.

That is not correct.
    • When the SSH server and SSH client systems are connecting accross the internet, a port needs to be opened in the router fronting the LAN in which the SSH server is located
    • When the SSH server and client systems are connecting within the same LAN, a port does not need to be opened in the router.

In Ssh-conduit’s Faq this is not specified [when port forwarding is and is not needed]…

It is but you may have overlooked it.

In the antiX FAQ→SSH-Conduit User Guide→Suite Characteristics Section

When accessing remote resources across the internet:
    • The remote firewall/router must previously have been set up to forward a port to the system within the remote LAN on which the SSH server daemon is running
    • The forwarded port number may be any available number you choose to use

Note: Each firewall/router handles port forwarding in its own way, this means there is no single description that can cover all variations. You should refer to the user manual to do the setting up.

Tip: If you are accessing remote resources across a local network rather than the internet, there is no need to forward a port from the firewall to the system on which SSH is running. In that case, both systems must be in the same local network i.e. behind the same LAN firewall/router.

Perhaps the following might also be helpful.
    SSH-Conduit Announcement
    Video by dolphin_oracle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0up7Cluf4s

Spartak77
    Spartak77

Yes, you’re right, what I wrote about ssh-conduit is not correct.
    It is not always necessary to open the ports of the router. In fact, you specify:

• When the SSH server and SSH client systems are connecting accross the internet, a port needs to be opened in the router fronting the LAN in which the SSH server is located
    • When the SSH server and client systems are connecting within the same LAN, a port does not need to be opened in the router.

Ok, I am sorry for the error, I’m not a technician and I wrote this post in speed.
    This aspect that you have specified has not been left out in the Italian translation and moreover the preamble I inserted reiterates it again.
    The problem is that the translation of all the FAQ chapters took me several months, so when I translated this chapter and made some tests it was clear to me, but from that moment it passed a few months and I can not remember the details.
    But the problem remains. If a user is not very expert he feels the need for some additional information, or at least I have felt this need.
    You have pointed out to me that the ssh-conduit Faqs say precisely that you need to open the router’s ports when needed. Ok, there is nothing inaccurate in the faq, I apologize if I did understand this, but I believe that these faq become more complete and more tailored to normal user if when you say to a user who must open the doors of a router you also give him some instructions on how to do it.
    However you decide, I wanted to add this addition in the Italian translation, but in the official faq it’s your job to decide whether it has a utility or not. I have made the effort to translate it into English in the spirit of collaborating and making myself useful.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Spartak77.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.