Window Manager not found to be running after 20 checks

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Window Manager not found to be running after 20 checks

• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 12-9:44 am by sybok.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    keshav-uses-linux

When i opened my Antix Linux 23.1 System Today, tried to open an application from taskbar icon. nothing appeared after waiting for quite some time. then tired opening an app from the antix menu, nothing appeared.
      by mistake changed the Desktop by going to Antix Menu > Desktop > Other Desktops
      got logged out then it logged in
      got this message upfront

Windows Manager not found to be running after 20 checks
      Currently the desktop environment will not start :P
      Give Up Time:6820
      RJP

How about if you start session via command prompt (tty)?

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/startx-on-antix-base-and-full/

startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session icewm

keshav-uses-linux

i don’t want to do it everytime the Error happens. I want a permanent fix. its a fresh install of antix 23.1, no changes to system prefrences, no nothing.

abc-nix

Does the session no longer load properly? Or is it only the window message that is bothering you?

by mistake changed the Desktop by going to Antix Menu > Desktop > Other Desktops

Did you change to a different WM? Is it still zzz-ice (or similar)?

About the error message, it is related to a setting where desktop-session checks to see if the window manager is up and running. If it is running even if the message appears, it is probably related to a detection error. If you can share the desktop-session log (in /home/user/.desktop-session/current.log) we may be able to figure out what the issue is and if changing an option in desktop-session.conf can help.

sybok

Some additional questions (that may help):
              1) Did you modify the configuration of any of the session?
              2) Do you have extra|special drivers installed on this device (as your other topic suggests)?
              3) Do you have enough disk-space in your /home partition (if you do not have a separate /home, then the same but in /, i.e. root)?

Why:
              1) I messed up one of my config. file once and I was unable to log-in into that specific WM (fluxbox).
              2) This may complicate things, especially after a kernel change.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by sybok.
              Forum Admin
              Dave

I suspect that you ran out of disk space.

You can try editing ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf setting FORCE_LOAD to true. This will bypass the check for the window manager. Maybe you will get to a desktop.

At the same time you can also change ~/. desktop-session/default-desktop to a known working session code. In this particular case I would opt for the min variant. So if you were using zzz-icewm try min-icewm

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Forum Admin
                rokytnji
                  harry@antiX-23.1:~
                  $ df -h
                  Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                  udev            2.8G     0  2.8G   0% /dev
                  tmpfs           573M  928K  572M   1% /run
                  /dev/sda1       117G   14G   97G  13% /
                  tmpfs           5.0M  8.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
                  tmpfs           1.2G     0  1.2G   0% /dev/shm

For checking disk space or

sudo parted -l

sudo fdisk -l

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                  I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                  Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                  How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

BobC

If disk full is your problem, ncdu is included by default in the full version. In a terminal, go to the top directory you what to look at and type ncdu. It will show you what is taking up the space and allow you to delete the culprits.

To choose a different desktop from login screen, pressing F1 before you type the user id and password will cycle you through the desktop sessions available.

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

First I heard of ncdu. Thanks for informing/showing me.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

keshav-uses-linux

Does the session no longer load properly? Or is it only the window message that is bothering you?

i think its the window Manager. but i dont know about the concept of session. so maybe i am wrong

Did you change to a different WM? Is it still zzz-ice (or similar)?

yes, but WM doesnt matter because i tried all of them, happened to every single one of them

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by keshav-uses-linux.
                        keshav-uses-linux

i dont know what a session actually means

2) Do you have extra|special drivers installed on this device (as your other topic suggests)?

No, this is some other system

3) Do you have enough disk-space in your /home partition (if you do not have a separate /home, then the same but in /, i.e. root)?

Yes i have about 5 gigs available in root

keshav-uses-linux

I suspect that you ran out of disk space.

Probably Not

You can try editing ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf setting FORCE_LOAD to true. This will bypass the check for the window manager. Maybe you will get to a desktop.

Tried, didn’t worked

At the same time you can also change ~/. desktop-session/default-desktop to a known working session code. In this particular case I would opt for the min variant. So if you were using zzz-icewm try min-icewm

tried, Happened to all WMs

sybok

session = what I meant was: desktop-session folder OR particular desktop “manager” (IceWM, fluxbox etc.).

Your home directory contains directories such as ‘~/.desktop-session/’ (a rather general folder), ‘~/.icewm/’ (corresponding to IceWM), ‘~/.fluxbox/’ and others.
                              Do you recall significantly modifying content in any of those?

Please, share the file ‘/home/<user>/.desktop-session/current.log’ asked by @abc-nix.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.