Windows 10 automatic updates

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Windows 10 automatic updates

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated Jul 31-2:35 pm by calciumsodium.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

I found out something about windows 10 automatic updates that may be useful to members of this forum who use windows 10.

I think Windows 10 automatic updates is the main culprit that causes slow starts and slow shutdowns in windows 10. So I disabled the automatic updates.

The following link gives various instructions for how to do so:

http://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html

What I have found is that disabling the automatic updates DOES NOT stop the automatic updates of security definitions, at least on the windows 10 version that I am currently using, 21H1.

Originally, I thought that I would have to manually update the security/virus definitions using Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Security > Virus and Threat Protection > Check for updates (under Virus and Threat protection updates).

But I have found out that Windows 10 automatically does this, even though I have turned off the automatic updates.

This is good news because I know that my windows 10 computer is protected, at least with the latest security definitions, even though the automatic updates are turned off. And that I don’t have to manually update the virus definitions. Now, windows 10 boots up very fast, does not lag, and shuts down very fast. I suppose that the automatic updates works to update quality and features.

A word about the security definitions updates. It happens in the background, and usually takes about 30 minutes on my computer in the background. The actual time may depend on your network connectivity speed and computer power. If you only use the computer for 5 minutes, the virus definition update will not take place. If you use the computer for 2 hours, most likely it will update. You can check when the virus definitions were last “automatically” updated by the manual method (windows 10 will tell you the exact time it did a last update of the security definitions) :

Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Security > Virus and Threat Protection > Check for updates (under Virus and Threat protection updates).

The first time you turn off the automatic updates, wait a day or two and don’t manually update the virus definitions. But do use your windows 10 computer. Then check to see that Windows 10 does automatically update the security definitions. The security definition files are very small (in MBs) compared to the very large quality and feature automatic update files (can be in GBs).

I hope this information is useful for windows 10 users.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by calciumsodium.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.