Working with windows stuck wide open

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Working with windows stuck wide open

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Jan 7-10:53 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

utu

Working with windows stuck wide open.

In my AntiX 17b2 64-bit full LiveUSB, both LibreOffice & Mozilla apps first
    appear as full-screen and maximized even at the ‘un-maximized’ setting.
    This is true using a LiveDVD made from iso, or a LiveUSB made from the LiveDVD,
    when using rox/icewm (the default) or icewm alone.

It is possible with some experimentation to achieve an un-maximized window
    for both these applications with a little finagling. That is to say
    by using alt-key and left-mouse button to manipulate the window edges.
    If your panel is at the bottom, use this alt+left-mouse-button grab to move
    the bottom panel temporarily up-screen. Then use alt+left-mouse-grab to
    get the window’s attention by grabbing & dragging the window from its edge,
    perhaps most effectively by the very sensitive lower-right window corner.
    This allows changing both horizontal and vertical dimensions simultaneously.
    Finally, don’t forget to put the desktop panel back where it belongs.

And, thanks to BitJam for suggesting this work-around.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by rokytnji.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by fatmac.

64-bit MX-18 Cruzer FIT LiveUSB on Dell Win7-era Laptop

skidoo

“the very sensitive […] window corner”

(the following “tip” is not specific to antiX, nor specific to any particular window manager)

While mouse pointer is over any application window, press and hold Alt key, and press and hold RightMouseButton…
    and notice that moving your mouse causes the window to be resized.
    This spares you from having to target and grab the exact window corner (handle).

Top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right ~~
    whichever quadrant of the window your mouse cursor is hovering when you initiate the resize,
    the result is same as if you had moused to and dragged by using the exact corner

utu

Thanks for your response skidoo.
    Resizing works as you describe on other apps other than LO & FF.
    Works as I describe on leafpad, file mgr, etc. These start out smaller than full-screen.
    This work-around doesn’t persist, unfortunately.

skidoo

“This work-around doesn’t persist, unfortunately.”

In a fluxbox session (other, but not all window managers also have ability to “remember” per window class)
    after moving and resizing a given window to your preferred size,
    you can right-click the window titlebar and choose “remember” dimensions (and/or position)
    and the window manager will automatically apply these to future instances of the same -classed window.

For reference (in case you care to view/edit), the list+details of “remembered” window classes is read from:
    ~./fluxbox/apps
    or
    ~.icewm/winoptions
    or
    ( I’m unsure about jwm. It may store per-windowclass settings in the file ~/.jwm/xdotool )

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by skidoo.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by rokytnji.

utu

I have been unable to arrive at a satisfactory long-term work-around
    for difficulties encountered in using icewm in AntiX 17 64-bit full
    iso LiveDVDs & LiveUSBs which essentially limits LibreOffice and Firefox
    apps to full-screen-only functionality, at least for my hardware and
    choice of apps and set-up parameters,

My impression is that some judicious selection of additional options from
    /usr/share/icewm/preferences added to ~/.icewm/preferences relating to
    ‘maximized’ window conditions might overcome this situation using icewm,
    but I haven’t been able to demonstrate this so far.

icewm is a default window manager in AntiX 17, but additional wm
    choices of fluxbox & jwm are available. jwm does not appear to have the
    aforementioned problems of icewm and requires only minor adjustments
    to provide a very similar desktop to that initially established.

My thanks to BitJam and skidoo for window manager advice & suggestions,
    but I think using jwm may suffice for my immediate work-around as wm
    for my AntiX17s.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by utu.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by utu. Reason: jvm replaced by jwm

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

If you think the issue is with antiX’s version of ~/.icewm/preferences then delete it and copy over the one in /usr/share/icewm/preferences.
    Does that make any difference?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

utu

Thanks, Anti.

Just copying one file over the other doesn’t help my problem,
    but there are a lot of new 0/1 choice possibilities which might affect this answer.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

I’ve experienced this problem and it can be very frustrating. I only see it at lower resolution such as 1280×1024. On a live system you should be able to force the X resolution with the cheat “xorg=1280×1024”.

Inside of Virtual Box Alt + right-drag is captured by my host system and does not get through to the client. In addition Alt + F8 never seems to work to resize windows in icewm in Vbox or on real hardware.

When I launch Firefox in a 1280×1024 screen it is automatically set to full-screen mode. That’s not great but the problem is that when I use the middle button on the top right of the title bar to switch it to normal mode, the window stays at full size and the bottom of the window seems to be hidden behind the task bar. I can use Alt + F7 to move the window but Alt + F8 seems to do nothing. I’ve also had a situation were even after switching LO to normal mode (not full screen) I was not able to resize it.

OTOH, if I open up Firefox in a 1920×1080 resolution screen, it opens in normal mode and the window is **smaller** than it was on the 1280×1024 screen. If it would open this same way on the 1280×1024 screen then there would be no problem. The way it is now is perverse and annoying.

Inside of Virtual Box @ 1280×1024 the only way I can resize FF is to switch to fluxbox to get access to the razor thin border in the bottom right corner to grab it and resize. This is nuts! It would be okay if I won a great prize or something after figuring out the puzzle.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

skidoo

(this post contains zero hyperlinks, yet upon proofreading+editing, it was “lost” when I attempted to submit the edited version)
    (logged out, logged in, noted that the “recent activity” mentioned “Windows Stuck Open… Last Post by skidoo” but still, the post was not displayed.)
    A GUESS:
    ===================================
    a “too-quick typo fix + resubmit”, after proofreading, is triggering an anti-spam mechanism ???????????????????????????????
    ===================================

Firefox and/or LibreOffice may be subject to “remembered” last used dimensions per their own private config files.
    I searched in Firefox about:config and a found prefkey named browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo but I haven’t researched “what the (int) value means” for that prefkey.

“the only way I can resize FF is to switch to fluxbox to get access to the razor thin border in the bottom right corner to grab it and resize.”

fluxbox recognizes over one hundred commands. Many (but not all of ’em) are mentioned in man fluxbox-keys

You can review the full list of fluxbox commands by typing: fluxbox -list-commands
    In addition to applying fb commands to keybinds, we can (and do) assign them to menu entries.
    try this:
    edit ~/.fluxbox/menu and add a line:
    [CommandDialog] (open fb command dialogbox)
    ^— this is a recognized cmd ^— the menu labeltext is arbitrary. Use whatever text you prefer.

Now, when you activate that menu entry, you can type in any of the 100+ fluxbox commands (and/or arguments).
    Using the dialogbox is useful for testing, and for issuance of occasional or one-off commands.
    For a particular fbcommand that you expect to reuse frequently, it makes sense to create a dedicated (sub)menu entry for it, or create a keybind for it.

I’m saying:
    Once you find a useful commandstring, you can (should) edit
    ~/fluxbox/windowmenu
    and add entries, so that your extra “useful window marshalling commands” easily accessible.
    These will be accessible both via right-clicking a window’s titlebar AND/OR by right-clicking its button in the fb taskbar.
    I’ve added entries for [maximizevertical] and for [maximizehorizontal]
    ^— these 2 commands are “toggles”, and the former has been HUGELY helpful to me
    (toward “getting under control” the occasional window whose titlebar has been nudged out-of-reach, off the top of the screen)

Not specific to any particular window manager:
    you might consider creating desktop menu entries (or shell aliases) to invoke wmctrl and/or xdotool

fatmac
    fatmac

@skidoo
    Your original was in the spam bin, but as you have it re posted, I have deleted it.
    I’ve seen other of your posts there too, so it could be that you are re posting too quickly, & the forum sees it as spamming. Try giving it a few seconds before re posting next time to see if that makes a difference. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

utu

in ref to post 1644:
    Thanks for the comments, skidoo.

It seems to me it would be quite a coincidence that two different but specific apps
    chose weird conditions to disable resizing a window.
    So, I concluded that the problem of trying to resize a maximized window was more likely
    to be in the window manager. Icewm does have such choices in /usr/share/icewm/preferences,
    but I couldn’t make these work on my LiveUSB.

Razor thin window edges might also contribute to edge grab difficulties.

I prefer the general appearance of in icewm desktop to fluxbox or jwm,
    but either flux or jwm solves my LO and FF resizing problem.

Will consider other suggestions and respond subsequently.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by utu. Reason: clarifications

utu

Following up on skidoo’s suggestion to look into Firefox about:config for
    possible contributor, I note that using ‘resize’ as a search term,

services.sync.prefs.sync.dom.disable_window_move_resize …. default was true.

Changing this default value to false to see if this helps ability to resize FF using icewm,
    or any wm.

skidoo

The only effect of changing services.sync.prefs.*
    will be whether or not a given pref is carried over to firefox running on other your devices if you use the “firefox sync” feature.

The prefkey you mentioned, setting it false simply instructs the sync server/mechanism to ignore (do not carryover) whether or not
    this copy of firefox is configured to grant permission for scripted webpages to trigger/force fullscreen display of your browser window
    (and that pref exists because, if permitted, malvertising scripts will often annoyingly push fullscreen popover ads)

utu

Hello, skidoo.
    Thanks for your comment.
    I found this to be the case.

I’ve not found any real cure for my initial complaint,
    but have found several work-arounds which are satisfactory for me.
    The simplest being switching temporarily to jvm to resize and then switching back into icewm.
    This can be done without any reboots.

I rarely run into this problem, but it is easy to demonstrate the situation
    by over-maximizing an initially under-maximum-size icewm window.
    Doing such makes the lower-right-corner of an icewm screen unavailable for resizing.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I obviously never ran into a window manager
    problem before.

skidoo

(the following “tip” is not specific to antiX, nor specific to any particular window manager)

While mouse pointer is over any application window, press and hold Alt key, and press and hold RightMouseButton…
    and notice that moving your mouse causes the window to be resized.
    This spares you from having to target and grab the exact window corner (handle).

Top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right ~~
    whichever quadrant of the window your mouse cursor is hovering when you initiate the resize,
    the result is same as if you had moused to and dragged by using the exact corner

for trackpad users:

hold keyboard Alt + trackpadRightButton with one hand… while dragging across the trackpad with finger of other hand

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.