XFE as File Manager Other Desktop choice with IceWM in antiX 17.1

Forum Forums General Software XFE as File Manager Other Desktop choice with IceWM in antiX 17.1

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dave Aug 17-10:52 am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

How can I make xfe as an “other desktops” change choice in the IceWM menu?

I already have xfe installed and am using space-icewm but I’d like to make xfe-icewm a choice. How would I go about doing this? (the question applies equally to someone wanting to do PCManFM instead of the Rox Space or Min options)

Thanks!

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);
    - (64-bit): Lenovo Thinkpads x61s (2008), x200 (2009), x301 (2009).

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

does xfe even manage a desktop?

You can set the File manager links in antiX to be xfe with the Preferred Applications tool in Control Center

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

I guess that is what I’m wondering about seeing what is possible with XFE.

So, to be clear, only Rox and SpaceFM can (and PCManFM and XFE can’t) do desktops (include somesort of a desktop manager) which is why they are the only choices for “other desktops” in antiX, is that right?

AntiX 17.x:
    - (32-bit): IBM Thinkpad 600X (2000), IBM NetVista X41 (2002), IBM Thinkpad A31p (2003);

736b69646f6f

Other than ROX and spaceFM, the only other “icon manager” I’ve known is one named “idesk”.
    Just checked, debian stretch repository still has an idesk package.

idesk is oldschool, it is NOT xdg-compliant or xdg-aware. It doesn’t deal with “.desktop” files. Instead, you manually create a “.Lnk” file for each icon object.
    Long while since I touched idesk, but this usage guide from archwiki seems accurate/familiar https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Idesk
    (if you install debian package, IIRC there’s no idesk manpage, so look for a README file installed by the package)

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

pcmanfm *can* do desktops (its what’s used by lxde). so can nautilus, caja, nemo, etc…

but the antiX system is built for rox and spacefm, as the other big DE file managers all rely on gvfs for many of their functions, and antiX does not ship with gvfs by default.

Hierax_ca
    Hierax_ca

Thanks for the help!

I was mixed-up but now I think I understand it better. Played with idesk a bit and it isn’t quite as good for me. Looks like Space-IceWM with XFE as default is still the best option for me with AntiX Base/Full (ranger for AntiX Core). It’s great that AntiX gives us so much to play with to see what works best for us, lots of trial-and-error but slowly getting a personalized AntiX workflow down.

AntiX 17.x:

masinick
    masinick

Thanks for the useful questions and helpful dialogue.

It is this kind of communication that keeps the community strong and “knit together” well (to use “sewing” metaphors!

Nice exchange of ideas and comments; keep it up! 👍😎✔

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

You can add them by changing a few variables in the config files found in /usr/local/share/desktop-session iirc. However I may be thinking about another version than what is packaged at the moment. I am not sure… I think the variable name was im-enabled or something similar.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.