YAHello.

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX YAHello.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by rokytnji Feb 16-8:21 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    koyote

I’m a moderately skilled old gen user (I last really got into messing with fin tuning my stuff about 15 years ago, I’ve been mostly consumer grade since then. gentoo, but not really tweaking anything.)

I used windows once at some job in between sunos3 and solaris. It was amusing.

I’ve been frustratedly installing and discarding distros for the last week. so far, this is looking like it might work for the family needs.

Forum Admin
    BitJam
    BitJam

Welcome koyote!

I’m an old Gentoo user myself, going back over 15 years. I’m just doing a fresh install of Gentoo to a new partition. I still have the chroot open and haven’t tried to boot it yet. Many things in antiX were inspired by Gentoo. Most, but not yet all, important things can be done via the command line. For example you can install packages with our cli-aptiX tool which is similar to Synaptic but based on the command line.

I got interested in antiX when I was looking for a fast-booting rescue system and (Gentoo-based) systemRescueCD had dropped the console frame buffers which was a real drag. The antiX distro still had them and booted fast so I jumped in to modify it so I could easily add things like zsh to the live system. We recently won a award for the best live system of the year although it was close and there not a lot of votes.

I hope you like antiX and stick around. If you want something more GUI-fied, you could try our sister distro MX-Linux.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

koyote

First thing I do is open a pair of xterms. I’m pretty happy with command line for things. I even still run emacs in a big terminal window most of the time.
    I may need to livecd/livesystem functions more as time goes on. Right now I’m pleased with a lightweight install that makes sense to the kids.

I used debian more often than not before gentoo, so I’m good there, as well.

When it comes to something like this I’m as interested in longevity and sustainability of the project as anything. I like the build and don’t disagree with the arbitraries, which is good.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Howdy and Welcome.

Sabayon years ago was the kiddy pool for me. Just like GhostBSD experiment was the kiddy pool for me.

Been here for years now. The best comfy cozy Easy Peasy kiddy pool for me.

I raised a pet coyote once in my place at Esperanza Texas. Had to teach him to leave the cats alone. Stay out of the trash. Etc……. e

Not a good pet

. But being a orphan. He figured out when it was time to leave and raise a family and join a pack.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.