yay Antix 16.2 resurrected 1 GB atom desktop to do some useful work

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX yay Antix 16.2 resurrected 1 GB atom desktop to do some useful work

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Feb 11-6:12 am by fatmac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    roytobin

Hi,

Happy user here since Aug 2017. Antix 16.2 works on a wimpy desktop
      machine with 1 GB mem, no swap, and 1.6 GHz atom processor. This machine
      can’t run Mepis, which is my distro of choice/familiarity for last
      8 years. Due to so little memory, I have to use qupzilla, not firefox,
      and I have to use SMtube & not attempt to watch in browser.

I’m using audio-recorder from mepis repo. Works fantastic. Big thanks.
      Polite suggestion: antiX should have this program (or similar)
      out-of-the-box or trivially available.

Thanks.

Roy

Forum Admin
      SamK

Polite suggestion: antiX should have this program (or similar)
        out-of-the-box or trivially available.

Polite response:
        antiX ships with the ability to do that and more out-of-the-box.
        Recording and playing are trivial to do.
        In step with general antiX principles, they are very light on system resources.

In the simple forms…

Record a stereo WAV (other file types can be output)
        rec --channels 2 filename.wav

Play an MP3 (other file types can be input)
        play filename.mp3

Various ways to invoke: terminal command, key combo, personal menu item, desktop icon, file manager command.
        There are a host of options that can be used, ref the sox man page.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

We can add it to our repo if you give us more details about the package

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Hi, Roy,
            I have the very same specs on my old netbook I use at work: 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb ram. But I do use swap.
            I’m perfectly able to use FirefoxESR or even Firefox 58 (that takes up more memory) and have several open tabs, and a instance of LibreOffice Writer and the file manager open at the same time, at it all takes about three quarters of my physical RAM…
            For watching youtube videos I would also recommend:
            1-firefoxESR, using the lowest resolution you can OR
            2-firefox with the Ant video downloader extension (that allows to download from youtube and almost any other streaming site, you can open the file and watch it while you are downloading it- please note that this extension no longer works with firefox ESR) OR
            3-Streamlight (for youtube).

To SamK:
            hi I never noticed the 2 very handy apps you pointed out, thanks for that!
            I tried out rec but have 2 problems with it: it records a very loud humming noise under the sound I want to record (I tested it with a youtube video) and the only way I can stop recording is closing down the terminal window (is there any other obvious way I’m missing?)

roytobin

Hi,
              Thanks for all the kind responses and ideas.

Neither the command rec(1), from the sox command suite, nor arecord(1)
              from ALSA suite ever worked for me. I get silence in the output file.
              I never discovered why. Keep in mind, I’m on the now older antix 16.2.

If rec(1) works for others, great! For those who like a GUI, with graphic
              level monitors to avoid clipping, and with the ability to schedule
              (start/stop) recordings in the future, there is the wonderful utility
              audio-recorder which has served this user well for months.

I’ll post my struggle & solution to the software forum in case it can
              help another.

As for “more details about the package”

1. It is called audio-recorder (I have 1.9.7-1mx15+1)
              2. I recall I got it from:

antix16:/etc/apt/sources.list.d % cat mx.list
              # MX Linux Community Main and Test Repos. Use carefully.
              deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15 main non-free
              deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ mx15 test

3. I recall it requires pulse audio, which was fine by me cause
              nothing else was working. And I recall I subsequently needed to
              “pin” some packages to sidestep “broken package” warnings when
              upgrading antix 16.2: libpulse0 lbpulsedsp pulseaudio pluseaudio-utils

Given #3, I recognize this utility is not perfectly in flow with antix
              development and testing. And I recognize that my system is now “unpure”
              or “tainted” to what others may see on their antix 16.2 machines.
              So YMMV. But things finally work for me now with audio-recorder after
              alot of struggle.

And all this is only possible thanks to the lightweight antix distro
              which works on the wimpy machine I have on hand.

Forum Admin
              SamK

…I never noticed the 2 very handy apps you pointed out, thanks for that!

They are just part of SoX which has been available for many years. It is often described as the Swiss Army knife of sound processing programs. I’ve been using it for more years than I care to recall, and in antiX since v12. It has always worked reliably and well.

You can get big dividends from spending some time reading the parts of the comprehensive man page that are relevant to what you want to do. Plenty of info, worked examples, and videos, can also be found on the web. Some older sources of help may refer to using OSS (e.g. /dev/dsp) which is not relevant to antiX because it works out-of-the-box with ALSA in our distro.

In recent years I have used it to modify many audio files and have built a library of scripted tasks which I run via a menu in Midnight Commander. It includes things such as transcoding, normalizing to peak or RMS, different modes of normalizing, single, album, radio, clipping prevention, and more including recording and playback.

I tried out rec but have 2 problems with it: it records a very loud humming noise under the sound I want to record (I tested it with a youtube video)…

You need to determine whether the humming in in the source material or is produced locally. One way to do that would be to try a different source, preferably one that is known to be clean. I tried this one as a test which seems OKish i.e. no loud humming sound.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdl1ES1zOg

Something to try before you record is setting the recording level to the maximum amplitude that does not produce clipping. Try this command when the source audio is playing:
                rec -n
                Watch the displayed VU meters and adjust the recording level via alsamixer F4 Capture, then go on to record as usual. This technique avoids distortion that recording at too high a level (clipping) can cause. During the making of the actual recording, the VU meters are shown and the recording level can be fine tuned, again via alsamixer F4 Capture.

…the only way I can stop recording is closing down the terminal window (is there any other obvious way I’m missing?)

Combo keypress Ctrl+C

fatmac

Just a hint – I use audacity to do all my recording. 🙂

If you add another 1GB of ram, you will be able to run Firefox. 😉

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
                  Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.