You helped me liven up an old laptop

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX You helped me liven up an old laptop

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated May 10-2:48 pm by einpoklum.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    einpoklum

Thanks, antiX people!

You helped me bring to life a 20-yro laptop. It will be donated to a Palestinian farmer community in the occupied 1967 territories, who are, well, really poor. It’s a 32-bit machine naturally, and it seems very few Linux distributions still maintain 32-bit versions.

Also, it’s nice that you don’t use systemd (or so it seems – I still see /usr/lib/systemd and /var/lib/systemd for some reason, but no systemd processes.)

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by einpoklum.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

So glad antiX is helping the poor and oppressed.

Viva Palestina!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Good to know it will be of good use.
    Thanks for donating time, work and hardware in helping technology reach others in less favorable situations.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi einpoklum,

Welcome to the antiX Linux forum.

With antiX, several computers can be used for many years, it’s a fantastic operating system!

I recommend you to read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie and How-to install applications – 2020 version.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

I don’t know how to write in English and I will send you my texts translated by the internet translator, I hope you can understand everything.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá einpoklum,

Seja bem-vindo ao fórum do antiX Linux.

Com o antiX, vários computadores podem ser utilizados por muitos anos, é um sistema operacional fantástico!

Eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutorias criados pelo @PPC:

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie e How-to install applications – 2020 version.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Eu não sei escrever em inglês e te enviarei os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet, eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@marcelocripe: The translator did fine; 99.9% of the time your translated posts come in perfectly. There have only been one or two words that translated in a way that might not have been what you intended, but this one, as most of them, is perfect. Thanks for helping out once again! —Brian

Brian Masinick

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

Poor due to oppression

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Sir Brian,

I thank you for the information. I always need to put a lot of effort into Brazilian Portuguese texts to be without any kind of double meaning or ambiguity, so that the translators can make good translations. For this reason, I think it is important for me to post my original text, as it serves to remedy any misunderstanding, possibly caused by the translation of the internet translator into the English language. In this way we can communicate and overcome difficulties in communication between people who do not speak or write the same language.

marcelocripe

———-

Olá Senhor Brian,

Eu agradeço pela informação. Eu preciso sempre me esforçar muito nos textos em idioma Português do Brasil para ficarem sem qualquer tipo de duplo sentido ou ambíguos, para que os tradutores possam fazer boas traduções. Por isso, eu acho importante eu postar o meu texto original, pois serve para sanar qualquer mal entendido, eventualmente ocasionado pela tradução do tradutor da internet para o idioma inglês. Desta forma podemos nos comunicar e superar as dificuldades na comunicação entre pessoas que não falam ou escrevem o mesmo idioma.

marcelocripe

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@marcelocripe: I applaud your methods and thought process; you are doing a fabulous job and you are one of several people who have energized and reinvigorated the translation process, allowing more people to use the software. Thank you very much for your help and effort!

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

@einpoklum, welcome to antiX and the forum. Thank you for helping out people in need and for keeping old but useful equipment in service.

I have a couple of laptops where the battery has died and cannot be replaced. This is why sometimes I prefer desktop computers. They tend to be easier to keep alive longer. But they are also bigger and harder to move so I see the value in a laptop also.

Yes, it is getting harder to maintain 32-bit. But not here at antiX. You found the right place.

Seaken64

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

@marcelocripe, your English translations are very good. I never have a problem understanding your messages. And I’m sure your threads here about installing software when not connected to the internet will be useful for @einpoklum also.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Eyal, your expertise and compassion will accomplish much.

Thank you for using antiX and sharing it with others and telling us about the experience.

This is a wonderful thing about free software, one of the many reasons that people put time and effort into this and many other works.

I’m grateful for you and your efforts, just as I am grateful for this community and our founder. Sincere thanks!

Brian Masinick

einpoklum
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for the kind words…

Considering the good will here, perhaps some of you might be able to take a few seconds to help me with an issue with the new installation.
    Also,

@seaken64: The laptop’s battery is basically dead. I would probably also prefer a desktop, but it’s not my own laptop to donate, I’m just helping making it useful.<br>
    @marcelocripe: I’ll have a look at those tutorials.
    @anticapitalista: The Palestinian struggle is long and hard, indeed.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by einpoklum.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

System keeps trying to access/read my laptop’s empty CD drive

Before you installed antiX, did you boot from CD/DVD or from USB?
    If it was from CD/DVD, we know the device works properly.
    If on USB, did this issue also occur during the live-USB experience?

Please make sure you have sr0 configuration in /etc/fstab and set to noauto.
    Example:
    /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto noauto,users,exec,ro 0 0

If you can boot from USB, try booting on live-USB and seeing if there is the same issue.
    If you think this is kernel related, use the package installer to test a different kernel version (be it legacy 4.4.0-XXX or newer 4.19.xxx) o the installed system (and selecting it in grub).

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

einpoklum
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure: Answering you here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.