Your computer should last for decades

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Your computer should last for decades

• This topic has 33 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Oct 21-1:36 pm by ModdIt.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BobC

Most of my machines are in the 10 to 15 yr old range. The oldest working one is a Pentium II tower from 1997, and the newest is an I7-7559 Dell Laptop.

I looked at an XP laptop today with 256 mb for $25, but decided there as no real point to buying it except to cause myself aggravation. It’s expensive for what it is, and with only 256 mb of ram it is very limited in usefulness, and without knowing the model, I can’t tell if I can boost it, and what is the point when I have so many computers already?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by BobC.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

christophe

I looked at an XP laptop today with 256 mb for $25, but decided there as no real point to buying it except to cause myself aggravation. It’s expensive for what it is, and with only 256 mb of ram it is very limited in usefulness, and without knowing the model, I can’t tell if I can boost it, and what is the point when I have so many computers already?

Haha! That sounds so much like me, I had to double-check that someone else wrote it!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

BobC

If it was FREE, I wouldn’t be able to resist, and I would brave the snow and drive the 30 miles for it. I bet I have memory chips and drives to fit it, but without knowing the model, its hard to tell.

What I don’t understand, is as hard as it would be for ME to make use of it, why would anyone else be willing to pay any actual money for it? Maybe I’ll offer $10 for it and sneak it in so my wife doesn’t see it. It looks like all the other ones I have anyway, so she’d never notice one more.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

andyprough

Case in point- you can watch a youtube video on the terminal, but should do you it?

mpv -vo caca http://youtu.be/mUicofUy3Bk

Holy cow, this is incredible!! Now I’m going to have to stay up all night watching music videos in the terminal.

vaclav

Nice on the old Toshiba! I’m posting from an Acer Aspire One D150 from 2008. I saved this thing from the landfill and upgraded the RAM and swapped in an SSD. I love giving things a long life, and I’m stoked that AntiX still supports 32-bit architectures and avoids system-D.

Anonymous

Great thread. posting this on a 17 year old Compaq Presario 2200
                laptop with 1.4 Ghz Pentium M cpu-512 MB ram and antiX-17.4.1

right now oldest working is a Pentium 1 75mhz with 16 MB ram and Windows
                3.1 with dos. Compaq 5000 LTE laptop.

seaken64

Nice linuxdaddy. The oldest computer I have running Linux is a Pentium 150 Compaq LTE 5400 laptop. It has Windows 98, DOS 5.0 and antiX 16 Core. In 48 MB of RAM.

The oldest computer I have on the broadband internet is a 286/12 with 1MB of RAM running Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 and a 3COM EtherLink III ISA 3C509B running Lynx. It also connects with dial-up 56K Modem and ProComm. Time warp!

My older computers do not connect to the internet. But they are connected thru LapLink cables to other computers that do. One is a an IBM XT/286 AT Class running PC-DOS 3.3, and one is a Packard Bell VX88 XT class running MS-DOS 3.3

That puts me at 3-1/2 decades for my working PC’s.

Seaken64

Anonymous

wow seaken64 … antiX-16 on that.
                    oldest I have is a compaq deskpro … 8086/8087 with a
                    20mb hard drive … dos 3.3 and turbo c on it. not sure
                    if it still works though, maybe a winter project to see.
                    an lol 2021-2022 bring the 1984 beast to life. has a 1200 modem, 1.2k
                    and a cable 1 mb lan card … wonder if dos can still come online?

seaken64

Yes, Compaq built some good stuff. I always wanted a Compaq 8086 but I didn’t have any money back then. My first computer I bought was a Tandy 1400FD Portable. I still have it but it won’t power up. The oldest PC I have that powers up is the IBM XT/286 from 1986. I had my NorthStar Advantage on dial-up using a 1200 Baud modem. I had a CoCo2 on the same line with a 300 Baud modem cartridge! Still have those machines but they no longer work (maybe the Advantage works, that will be MY winter project). Still have working Apple IIe and a C64. But I mostly play with linux on old PC’s.

There is lots of good stuff on getting DOS online. Vogons is a good site. I have several other sources for DOS but I can’t remember them right now. But I have them in my archives. Let me know if you need help and I’ll track down my links for you.

Seaken64

seaken64

I’ve been toying with finding some old Linux stuff from the 1990’s to try on a 486. So far I’ve stuck with Pentium class machines for Linux, and DOS and OS/2 for pre-Pentium. But I think it would be fun to try to get Slackware from the early days running.

Seaken64

Anonymous

here is a shot of it.

Anonymous

I have a book with the slackware 3.2 cd in it.
                            think oldest I can get old linux going is a amd-p75 133mhz board.

Brian Masinick

You guys have me beat by a LONG stretch! My brother in law had 2-3 old systems that he was ready to take to the dump so I took them and they are now the main systems where I run antiX, but they are not nearly as old as your systems that you found.

However, my FIRST computer that I actually bought and used for my own use was one I bought in November 1995, not long after Microsoft contracted with the Rolling Stones, using their song “Start Me UP!” to introduce the Windows 95 START button.

I bought a Micron P100, a 100 Mhz 32-bit computer (if I remember correctly). It actually came with Windows for Workgroups 3.11; I bought a copy of Windows 95 and a book containing a version of Slackware (somewhere between 0.98 and 1.2), not 100% certain. The original media in the book could only run 640×480 graphics; I found drivers online to get it to run better on Slackware, though I think Windows 95 actually included them.

Once I got Slackware working right, it was a pleasure to use, but it’s FAR easier to install today, mostly because the latest hardware drivers are typically included in the most current releases.

Of my brother in law’s systems, the one I like most (even though it does NOT have back lit keys) is a Lenovo Thinkpad X201. It’s rock solid, has decent keys, and though it’s no longer a “race horse”, the overall solid feel of the system, coupled with the smooth manner in which it works with antiX (any of the versions) make it a real pleasure, the BEST of my old systems. My Dell Inspiron 5558 is pretty solid but the Thinkpad has better keyboard feel and even more solid construction than the well put together Inspiron.

--
                              Brian Masinick

seaken64

@Brian Masinick – I have an old Micron Millennium P75 that we upgraded to a 133Mhz chip and 128MB of RAM. This computer was my Father-in-law’s upgrade for his old IBM PC 5150 (Yes, the original PC). It was our first Pentium and ran Windows 95. We upgraded it to Windows 98SE. Here’s a link to a picture:

http://www.crackerb.com/sean/computers/Micron-P133-Win98-Box.jpg

At one point Micron was well respected as a maker up against Dell and Compaq.

The laptop on top is my oldest Compaq, the LTE5400 I mentioned earlier in the thread.

@linuxdaddy – I remember that Compaq was leading the way for “Clones” and beating IBM at their own game. They used the 8086 in that machine, which IBM pushed aside in favor of the 8088. Later Compaq would lead the way with the 386 machines. One of my favorite computers is my Compaq Deskpro EN. It is my main Pentium-III and is the subject of many of my post here on the forum where I experiment with old equipment. That was a good brand.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick

Yeah, I remember all of those old systems AND the original IBM PC!

The IBM PC was slower than many of the other PC units at the time but it had the number one keyboard, one of the best ones I have ever used.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.