zzzfm and slimski

Forum Forums antiX-development Development zzzfm and slimski

• This topic has 62 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:03 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Should antiX-21 ship with slimski (replaces slim) and zzzfm (replaces spacefm)?

I tried the default debs (found in antix-contribs repo at gitlab) on a fresh live build of antiX-21.
    They work quite well for the most part, but …

Negative findings:

1. slimski login screen is jibberish (cust2_msg etc on screen)
    2. I was under the impression that one of the improvements of slimski over slim is that the login screen is localised, but it isn’t (at least not when running live).
    3. slimski logs by default in to a fluxbox session and not Rox-icewm.
    4. To use zzzfm-icewm for example, at login screen user has to choose spacefm-icewm

If we decide on zzzfm, then it means changing our desktop-session scripts (and possibly some others).
    Anyone upgrading from antiX-19 to antiX-21 would need some smooth way to get zzzfm/slimski combination without it breaking anything.

Thoughts?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Can you please provide an antiX-bullseye-B2 test version with slimski and zzzfm installed for users to test out first before making decisions? That way, more members can provide feedback.
    Thanks

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Can you please provide an antiX-bullseye-B2 test version with slimski and zzzfm installed for users to test out first before making decisions?

It takes a lot of time to adapt zzzfm into the desktop-session scripts, the wallpaper scripts, and to create default configuration files to match the antiX with spacefm experience. And slimski also requires more work (create a new custom theme, prepare the update-slim hook for apt, change the slimski.conf file to have a similar configuration as slim.conf, change the auto-login script and change-slim-wallpaper script, etc.).

Negative findings:

1. and 2. The last two versions of slimski didn’t work for me when changing to different languages (in live and installed). I will see if I can figure something out if skidoo cannot get a look. I was also preparing a new slimski theme based on the current slim default one on antiX 21, but it was halted (until skidoo can check this locale issue).
    3. We can modify the slimski.conf file so that the default is rox-icewm. I can do this (no problems here).
    4. I think we could create a package zzzfm-spacefm-sym to create a symlink for all spacefm binaries and files to symlink to the corresponding ones for zzzfm, so that most of the deskop-session-antix scripts would work without any change. (this package would conflict with spacefm, so it would automatically uninstall if someone wants to use spacefm, but not uninstall zzzfm).

For now, until the language issue is solved, slimski should not replace slim.
    zzzfm could replace spacefm without having to touch too many files if symlinks are used.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Can you please provide an antiX-bullseye-B2 test version with slimski and zzzfm installed for users to test out first before making decisions? That way, more members can provide feedback.
    Thanks

In order to do that, it means I’ll have to change quite a few of our desktop scripts.
    That will take time to do, then I’ll need to check it is working before any beta can be made available.
    I would rather avoid this if I can.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I think zzzFM could replace spaceFM.
    I have not tested slimski.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

2. I was under the impression that one of the improvements of slimski over slim is that the login screen is localised, but it isn’t (at least not when running live).

I think I fixed this in the latest version. Please, try it out again.

EDIT: I have also rebuilt the newest zzzfm version, with the (home) bookmark fix (and other fixes).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: uploaded new .debs for zzzfm

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Here is the slimski theme I was talking about. If you need the svg file with all elements, let me know.

Attachments:

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

No problems with zzzFM thus far.

I haven’t tried slimski yet.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

@anticapitalista
    When you have some time, please upload to a separate antix-21 branch the current versions of desktop-session-antix, control-centre-antix and antix-goodies so I can merge the changes to add support for slimski and zzzfm during the week. I have everything almost done, and I just need to fix some things and test a bit. I would be adding (not replacing) the entries for zzzfm for desktop-session, fixing the issue in desktop-session-update-wm-menus which created the multiple invalid entries in the “Other Desktops” window, add the hook for slimski in apt, and replacing the programs to change wallpaper and auto-login with only one program that would work for both slim and slimski.

I should have everything mostly finished before the weekend. If you prefer multiple small commits every day to see the changes incrementally I can also do that.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Looking forward to seeing the results of your work Xecure!

zzzFM has worked well for me (no issues whatsoever).

Slimski also has good functionality, but I also see the things mentioned by anticapitalista. Sounds as if these matters are solvable. If so, I do like the changes. If we still have migration issues that can’t be resolved in time, perhaps this is a excellent set of additions to consider in the near future. Hope it works out in time for release; otherwise I’m content with either the status quo or a future addition of these very promising tools.

Brian Masinick

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Hi! I’m almost on holidays… Anti: please, do replace spacefm with zzzfm- it looks almost the same (a regular user won’t notice any change), but much lighter on system resources and much better localized!- Having a localized file manager is a great improvement for non english speaking users!
    ( Unfortunalty I have not had time to test slimsky… so, no input on that- but taking into account skidoo’s usual attention to detail, I would bet it probably works very well…)
    P.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

hello anticapitalista and everyone
    doos it fit?
    My first reaction to “zzzfm” was
    to Name it “dododofm”

Congratulations skidoo.

Consider planning future “point release” type of thing with this spacebarfm replacement (?)
    affords the time for writing changes, it gives an extra release day for “dw” front page, while focus on a new single element is good promotion, and more fun than marketing the entire system (bullseye release),
    You might get number one at distroW with this attention grabber new file manager.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@anticapitalista
    When you have some time, please upload to a separate antix-21 branch the current versions of desktop-session-antix, control-centre-antix and antix-goodies so I can merge the changes to add support for slimski and zzzfm during the week. I have everything almost done, and I just need to fix some things and test a bit. I would be adding (not replacing) the entries for zzzfm for desktop-session, fixing the issue in desktop-session-update-wm-menus which created the multiple invalid entries in the “Other Desktops” window, add the hook for slimski in apt, and replacing the programs to change wallpaper and auto-login with only one program that would work for both slim and slimski.

I should have everything mostly finished before the weekend. If you prefer multiple small commits every day to see the changes incrementally I can also do that.

Done! Under master

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Done! Under master

Thanks, anticapitalista. I will be breaking the commits so they are clearer, and you can cherrypick them. I will let you know when I am finished so you can review and merge what you think works.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

@anticapitalista
    I think I have most things ready and sent merge requests (don’t accept yet, I will try to build an ISO to see if everything works out of the box).

I have 4 things missing (and I need some advice):
    1 – Add the exception to gazelle-installer add default_user and autologin_enabled when “autologin” is selected during installation (I am not sure what version you have under development, so didn’t create any merge request).
    2 – Add slimski.local.conf to Build-iso (slimski will use /etc/slimski.local.conf first, and if missing use /etc/slimski.conf), so it is injected into the ISO, so that no package update can override the default configuration set by the user (no package brings it in).

3 – A question related to slim I tried to copy to slimski, but I don’t understand.
    There is a file in /usr/share/slim/antiX/slim-install.conf. This file is edited by the live inits when a dpi is selected (it also edits /etc/slim.conf) in the live boot menus, but the installer never uses it. I thought this file was used by the gazelle installer (copy it and replace /etc/slim.conf), but I cannot find any part that uses it. I have created a slimski-install.local.conf to copy this structure, but don’t know where to look for the package/scripts that edit or uses this file (to adapt it for slimski use).

4 – A problem I don’t know how to solve (easily).
    The packages desktop-defaults-icewm-antix, desktop-defaults-jwm-antix and desktop-defaults-fluxbox-antix will bring the .desktop configurations for session management (/usr/share/xsessions/), used for example by desktop-session-antix to generate the other desktop menus.
    If I replace spacefm with zzzfm, anyone upgrading will no longer be able to login to space-<wm> sessions, but if I have them both there (files for spacefm and zzzfm), then creating an ISO with only zzzfm, the menus will also display the space-<wm> entries (which will not work and lead to confusion). Should I create an apt-hook to remove the corresponding .desktop files if the desktop-icon manager (file manager) is not installed and recreate them if they are detected when installed?
    Let me know and I will create this hook (maybe a new one or add the check to the updated loginmanager hook).

Thanks and sorry for the inconveniences.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.