zzzfm and slimski

Forum Forums antiX-development Development zzzfm and slimski

• This topic has 62 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:03 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure
    I had already made the merge for desktop-session-antix.
    I also built a new iso (without slimski since it always segfaults here).
    zzzfm desktop doesn’t show up anywhere.
    I’m not having much luck in getting zzzfm desktop to work.

1. Latest is here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer

2. ok

3. /usr/share/slim/antiX/slim-install.conf is just a ‘template’ file.

4. It is confusing.
    If we replace zzzfm (and slimski) then we need some way to either
    1) remove spacefm and replace it with zzzfm (same with slim and slimski) or
    2) make sure both are possible ie slim and/or slimski plus spacefm and/or zzzfm

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Yes. The problem is the missing .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions/ that I was talking about.
    All the packages that I have updated are:

https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/live-initrd.gz
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/control-centre-antix
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-antix
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-base
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/antix-goodies
    https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/wallpaper-antix

(Sorry for this format. This is me trying to add links without the spam filter blocking me)

And the new packages

https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/desktop-defaults-zzzfm-antix
    https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/slimski-themes-extras-antix

1. Latest is here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer

Thanks. I will have a look on how to add the change.

This what I was aiming for. They should be optional updates. I will see what I can do.

I also built a new iso (without slimski since it always segfaults here).

I will try my luck in a bit and see if I can get anywhere. I have made changes on local files, and Slimski works on installed on 21b1-runit, and on a VM-“live” (also 21b1-runit).

I will get back to you if I can get a build-iso to work with all changes.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

How would users feel if you were ‘forced’ to (automatically) switch from SpaceFM to zzzFM (and slim to slimski) if dist-upgrading from antiX-19 (or earlier) to antiX-21? Also same question if you are running ‘rolling’ antiX with testing or sid repos.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

anti, It makes sense. If you want the current version of antiX, you need to install the current version code.

I think we just need to make sure both work well so people are happy with them. Announce it in the release notes that zzzFM is an supported, enhanced and more efficient fork that replaces SpaceFM in antiX-21.

Let me know if I can help testing 🙂

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Since your ‘official’ policy has been for users to perform a fresh install for a major release, I think there would be no expectation of upgrading between 19 & 21. So I don’t think it would be an issue.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the quick feedback.
    I know there are users running ‘rolling’ antiX (myself for one … with sid repos).
    The major concern is trying to cater for those users running a ‘live’ usb or frugal install with testing/sid repos (me again)
    and not breaking anything in persist/remaster.

Building new antiX-21 isos with zzzFM and slimski (if I can get it to work properly) is the easy (but time-consuming) part.
    Thankfully, (for me) Xecure is doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

How would users feel if you were ‘forced’ to (automatically) switch from SpaceFM to zzzFM (and slim to slimski) if dist-upgrading from antiX-19 (or earlier) to antiX-21?

I think it isn’t the best option. I think many will prefer the already-known and configured spacefm (I saw that for example icons view was removed; I am waiting for skidoo to visit the forums so I can ask if this was for reducing RAM use or if this was a personal preference) than being forced to change. Also, the only things that would permanently change would be the boot menus, which shouldn’t inconvenience the people with antiX installed.
    Slim should still be optional and can live with slimski, if the init script for both is available (runit should use the init scripts for slim and slimski in /etc/runit-core/ instead of the runit service, to make sure that everything works).
    I think it can be achievable to have them all working and installed at the same time. I am working on an apt hook to remove/add .desktop options in /usr(share/xsessions/ when any of the file managers are removed (so to only display the ones that are really installed and reduce the session options to real working options). But that will wait for now.

I have built a very bad ISO, with the changes that anticapitalista has already merged (including live menus fixes). Bad because:
    – I haven’t replaced spacefm with zzzfm in the grub menus (they have changed in the legacy boot menus).
    – I have both zzzfm and spacefm installed (to test if they can live together).
    – slimski still fails sometimes (works for me most times on VM). slim is not installed (to test how slimski alone goes), and someties you need to move to Alt+F1 to log in as user, and run
    sudo service slimski start
    – The other desktop menus are still not updated to include zzzfm. You can force the update with
    sudo /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-update-wm-menus -f
    – VBox-utils are not installed (I forgot 🙁 ).
    – Installer hasn’t been updated (don’t install this ISO), so it doesn’t replace user and autologin options for slimski.
    – The ISO does NOT include 2 kernels (I have no idea what magic anticapitalista has done to achieve this).

What does work:
    – The apt hook to update other-desktops (when a new DE or WM is installed.
    – Switching to other zzz-<wm> sessions (from other desktops or from slimski).
    – The new GUI to change slim/slimski option (Control Centre > Session > Login Manager).
    – If running slimski (that is already there), the Login Manager app lets you test themes BEFORE setting them (to see how the look).
    – ADD: slimski theme (both the BobC and the Space theme) are localized, so you can see how they look booting with different languages (and then log out).
    – Can’t remember if other new things work OK.

Note: the custom live menus theming is just me testing things out (the usual live grub/sylinux themes we know and love have’t been changed, it is me playing aorund with how much I can change the live theming without braking things). Also, the default slimski theme is also me playing around. The default antiX theme that BobC designed will still be the default.

I need to invest some time investigating the antiX-Gfxboot project, so Spacefm can be replaced there with zzzfm.

WARNING: ISO IS 1.5 GBs!!!! I don’t know what I did wrong, but it is heavy!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M75uhoFgHyWE9Hbd1LuXKmLKeDpz40LZ/view?usp=sharing

My thanks to skidoo for creating the programs. I hope he can visit soon.
    Very special thanks to anticapitalista, for being patient, guiding when I asked, and for all the tools he (and Dave, fehlix, D_O, Adrian, and all the devs from both antiX and the MX team) have created. The more I use and investigate them the more I learn.
    Also, special thanks to all translators. Login Manager app was localized in record time (less than 3 days!!) for major languages, (the rest is Google-translator work).

Testing is not required. I just built it as a concept, so anyone interested can try it out only for the few changes I added. You can see everything that works (and doesn’t) in less than an hour.

I think building the betas with slim for now is the best decision. slimski’s init with its daemon initialization is a bit strange compared to slim, and maybe I can figure out changing it.

I will not be as active next week, at least nothing before the weekend, so I cannot advance too much on this. I will look at the antiX-Gfxboot repo to see how I need to add zzzfm there.

Thanks for reading this long post.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Add special thanks. I cannot forget the great people who got me here

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure.
    In desktop-session-update-login-manager, is there a reason why you are using
    local list="$(grep -h ^Name= /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop |sed -r -e 's/^Name=//' -e 's/ (desktop|session)$//i' -e 's/ +/_/g' |tr "[A-Z]" "[a-z]" |sort -fu |tr '\n' ',' | sed 's/,$//')"

in the edit_slimski function vs
    local list=$(full_desktop_list)

which is used in the slim function?

Also does slimski utilize the sessions(sessiontypes) variable?
    SliM default is now using the xsessionsdir variable which makes this script and the apt hook redundant (or not used by default because it does not update the commented out sessions variable).

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

In desktop-session-update-login-manager, is there a reason why

Yes. Slimski is extremely sensitive sensitive to case-change of sessiontypes. It isn’t as good as slim and requires that everytime a session changes the sesion code be stored in ~/.config/slimski.lastused so that it knows that the default session has changed. If the wording there doesn’t exactly match the sessiontypes list (very case sensitive), then it cannot remember use the value in the slimski.lastused file.
    I could have simply used a tr “[A-Z]” “[a-z]” to make the list lower-case, but I wasn’t thinking clearly. I will test using the list generated by the function you mention and make the corresponding merge request with the change.

EDIT: Now I remember why I didn’t use it. It creates the same session duplication that plagued the other-desktop menus. I will fix see if I can use the same function in desktop-session-update-wm-menus, but making them all lowercase. Thanks for reminding me.

Also does slimski utilize the sessions(sessiontypes) variable?

slimski was created by skidoo so it could be independent of antiX. When using the sessiondir, it will not use the Name entry, but instead the exec command (so it would pass a strange command to desktop-session script and not the session code).
    I left the slim_edit function inside the update-login lib script just in case (I didn’t want to remove anything that would require future recovery, and then get attacked for removing something without asking first).
    I tried to touch as little as possible so that things could keep working as before, and tried to add extra compatibility for zzzfm and slimski if possible.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

If we replace zzzfm (and slimski) then we need some way to either
    1) remove spacefm and replace it with zzzfm (same with slim and slimski) or

For me, who is a big fan of antiX and is very happy with antiX, I would prefer to have option 2 above:

I would be happy to test whatever comes out and give feedback to improve the product.
    Thank you to @skidoo for creating the programs and to @Xecure for the current development and the development team for supporting them.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Having desktops for both zzzFM and SpaceFM seems pretty redundant to me. Thus far, the only thing anyone has asked for that was removed from the package was the “icon view”.

I don’t think it looks bad at all. Here is a screenshot of zzzFM in “Compact” style. It looks as good as “Icons” to me.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

WARNING: ISO IS 1.5 GBs!!!! I don’t know what I did wrong, but it is heavy!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M75uhoFgHyWE9Hbd1LuXKmLKeDpz40LZ/view?usp=sharing

Hi @Xecure,
    I successfully created the liveUSB for this antiX concept 21-b1 (Kaze no den wa). In the all cases so far, I have not been able to get pass this error during boot:

starting slimski: slimskiSegmentation fault
    failed!

In the grub text menus, I was able to select the different desktops, but I could not find an option to choose slim vs slimski. The iso seems to select slimski as the default?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by calciumsodium.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

starting slimski: slimskiSegmentation fault

I have been debugging slimski for the last two hours, and think I have found the fix. I will see if this works properly with some more testing and build another ISO tomorrow.

Sorry for having your time, calciumsodium. I should have done all this before creating the ISO. If everything goes properly, I could get slimski to work consistently. If not, I will give up and only concentrate on zzzfm.

Thanks for testing. Hopefully tomorrow I can give good news.

PS: gdb is a nightmare to use. This is the first time I have used it and need it to run before the session even starts. I wasted most of my time trying to figure out the most basic use of this tool, and ended up using the batch mode and found a hack to output the log. Now I think I have made progress.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry for having your time

No problem, Xecure. I don’t know how to program. All I know is to test and use the programs. I will continue to help out.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I tried GDB. It reminded me of the early DOS debuggers, before the days of Windoze and VisualC, around 1985-1987. Oh well, if Clubs and Stone Axes is all you have, make do and pound away at it…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.