zzzfm and slimski

Forum Forums antiX-development Development zzzfm and slimski

• This topic has 62 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Aug 25-1:03 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

J2LYK (!? LOL)- I won’t have time to look at the recent changes until the weekend.

Thanks. No rush. I wasn’t planning to touch much during the week either. Thanks for your time.

One question, can we access the root account via graphical mode?

in none of them I could access the root user

skidoo designed it that way, so that users who don’t know how to use the terminal and still thought they knew what they were doing wouldn’t have the chance of breaking their system. Read this thread:

By design, as an “unapologetically opinionated” design feature, slimski is hardcoded to prohibit login to graphical desktop using the “root” user account. To anyone who might argue that this represents an “anti-feature”: you would be arguing with a Brick Wall.

If you need root access, got to any of the terminals (Control+Alt+F[1-6]), log in as root and do things there in the terminal. For example, you can change a users password with
    passwd <user-name>
    where you replace <user-name> with the username you want to change its password.

I will have a look in a few days if I can automate download and applying translations from transifex, so that I don’t have to manually check what languages have been updated (only the translator knows when they have changed something; anyone else needs to go to the resource, order the languages by last update, and check if the date is after their last build, a total waste of time when the number of projects increases, as it is the case for the antiX project).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Xecure,

I hope not to be misunderstood in this thread, I hope everyone understands that my words are of concern, they are for the good of antiX and all languages. I know that there is a lot of volunteer work, know that I want to help, I just don’t know how. I also understand that the operating system is more important than the translations, I know that having the system cohesive, stable, consuming the least resources with everything working properly, will always be the main goal. But translating everything possible in antiX is what allows more and more people to use antiX with ease.

I will have a look in a few days if I can automate downloading and applying translations from transifex, so that I don’t have to manually check what languages have been updated (only the translator knows when they have changed something; anyone else needs to go to the resource, order the languages by last update, and check if the date is after their last build, a total waste of time when the number of projects increases, as it is the case for the antiX project).

I keep thinking, why does everything have to be complicated?
    What I don’t want is for translations to be available on transifex for more than three and a half years and never be used in antiX, like what I could identify happened with the pt translations made by Zeh. Why do I say that it is always necessary to search for the most recent version available on transifex, because it takes a long time for us to understand exactly the intention of each phrase, where it will be used in the program, which verb should be used at the proper time, what is the real intention/action that the program performs, the translations of Internet translators literally from English to Brazilian Portuguese do not usually make complete sense. An example of this is of “AppSelect”, the automatic translation gives us “Select Application” or “Select Application”, adapting to make sense “Select Application” or “Select Applications”, but the real function of “AppSelect” is to “Search Applications” (pt-BR) or “Search Applications” (pt), with the proper adaptation of the translations, all antiX users speaking pt-BR and pt can easily understand what “AppSelect” is all about. I was only able to understand it four months ago when we reviewed the 88 shortcut icons or “.desktop” files in the “/usr/share/applications/antix” folder.

If you need root access, got to any of the terminals (Control+Alt+F[1-6]), log in as root and do things there in the terminal. For example, you can change a users password with passwd <user-name>, where you replace <user-name> with the username you want to change its password.

I have never made this change via terminal via the command line, I will need to learn how to do this. Should the key combination command (Control+Alt+F[1-6]) be applied to the slim/slimski screen?

Thank you very much for all you have done and are doing for antiX.

Sorry for bringing up issues unrelated to the topic of the thread.

marcelocripe

———-

Olá Xecure,

Eu espero que não ser mal compreendido neste tópico, eu espero que todos entendam que as minhas palavras são de preocupação, são para o bem do antiX e de todos os idiomas. Eu sei que existe muito trabalho voluntário, saibam que eu quero ajudar, eu só não sei como. Eu entendo também que o sistema operacional é mais importante do que as traduções, eu sei que ter o sistema coeso, estável, consumindo o mínimo de recursos com tudo funcionando corretamente, sempre será o principal objetivo. Mas a tradução de tudo que for possível no antiX é o que permite que mais e mais pessoas possam utilizar o antiX com facilidade.

I will have a look in a few days if I can automate download and applying translations from transifex, so that I don’t have to manually check what languages have been updated (only the translator knows when they have changed something; anyone else needs to go to the resource, order the languages by last update, and check if the date is after their last build, a total waste of time when the number of projects increases, as it is the case for the antiX project).

Eu fico pensando, por que que tudo tem que ser complicado?
    O que eu não quero é que aconteça de traduções ficarem por mais de três anos e meio disponíveis no transifex e nunca serem utilizadas no antiX, a exemplo do que eu consegui identificar que ocorreu com as traduções pt feitas pelo Zeh. Por que eu digo que é necessário sempre buscar a versão mais recente disponível no transifex, porque leva bastante tempo para compreendermos exatamente a intenção de cada frase, onde será utilizada no programa, qual verbo deve ser utilizado no momento adequado, qual é a real intenção/ação que o programa desempenha, as traduções dos tradutores da internet ao pé da letra do idioma Inglês para o Português do Brasil não costumam fazer sentido completo. Um exemplo disso é do “AppSelect”, a tradução automática nos dá “Selecione Aplicativo” ou “Selecionar Aplicativo”, adaptando para fazer sentido “Selecione o Aplicativo” ou “Selecione os Aplicativos”, mas a função real do “AppSelect” é de “Pesquisar Aplicativos” (pt-BR) ou de “Buscar Aplicações” (pt), com a adaptação adequada das traduções, todos os usuário do antiX falantes do pt-BR e do pt conseguem compreender facilmente do que se trata o “AppSelect”. Eu só fui consegui compreender isso há quatro meses atrás quando fizemos a revisão dos 88 ícones de atalho ou arquivos “.desktop” da pasta “/usr/share/applications/antix”.

If you need root access, got to any of the terminals (Control+Alt+F[1-6]), log in as root and do things there in the terminal. For example, you can change a users password with passwd <user-name>, where you replace <user-name> with the username you want to change its password.

Eu nunca fiz esta alteração via terminal através da linha de comando, eu precisarei aprender a fazer isso. O comando de combinação teclas (Control+Alt+F[1-6]) deve ser aplicado na tela do slim/slimski?

Muito obrigado por tudo que você já fez e faz pelo antiX.

Desculpem-me por trazer assuntos não relacionados ao tema do tópico.

marcelocripe

oops
    Helpful
    Up

Hello,

Congratulations, just quickly tried your beta .iso: antiX-concept-21-b1.1_x64-full.iso

… And I especially like the zzz-iceWM session.
    With runit instead SysVinit it will be perfect 😉

PS: slimski is basic but fine too (for a single user session, as slim)

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by oops.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks, oops.
    Hopefully, everything works OK on the next official antiX beta release. Replacing spacefm with zzzfm, as calciumsodium showed with their tests, the desktop should be a few megabytes lighter in RAM use. And hopefully all the changes keep antiX compatibility with slim and spacefm working, so the change isn’t enforced when dist-upgrading.

oops
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure … antiX is going to be very efficient for old and modern computers (with the 2 kernels way into antiX21 the installer)

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Just my HO:

– It has been discussed and explained that zzzFM cannot be projecting itself as a release continuation of SpaceFM for some trademark or license reason I do not even remember. So if it cannot be SpaceFM, why insisting of such odd name as zzzFM, while it has a significant improvements over (already great though) SpaceFM? Why not something like OneSpaceFM, which would indicate to users there is some lineage to such great file manager?
    – Slimski: Recently discovered issues with Slim, made me install slimski on my antiX 19.4 Grup Yorum and testing indicates it resolved those issues (issues being not material for my point).
    As Slimski appears to me a great replacement for Slim on the base of my testing, not only for resolving issues but also it appears better for security, I have a quick question:
    – As currently is is clearly a test version of slimski, with test messages, where are those messages, so I would customize them?
    Thanks and Regards…

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Though I am maintaining zzzfm right now (and I am not the creator), I presume the one who worked on this fork (skidoo) wanted to add a bit of his personality to the project, so the zzzfm name (and I will be keeping it that way until the creator says otherwise). I wouldn’t fight it.

For slimski, use the newest version (fixes some bugs from skidoo’s beta version and removes most of the “test” texts there).
    If you are planing on using desktop-session-antix, I recommend you create a new /etc/slimski.local.conf file containing this:
    https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/slimski-themes-extras-antix/-/blob/main/themes/antiX/slimski-install.local.conf
    and edit the sessiontypes list if needed (magical script to update said list is not available in antiX19 right now).

If only launching herbstluft, pure icewm, jwm or fluxbox (no min or space/rox sessions) without desktop-session support, then you don’t need to do the above.
    For more themes, see the last link.
    Slimski configuration location: /etc/slimski.conf (if not using a /etc/slimski.local.conf file).
    Slimski themes: /usr/share/slimski/themes/

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

The name change respects the wishes of SpaceFM author(s)

https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/wiki/Guidelines-For-Distributing-Modifications

SpaceFM: Guidelines For Distributing Modifications

ensure that users know your work isn’t pure SpaceFM, and we know in case odd support requests come in.

If you do distribute [..] please choose and use a different name for the program/your work.

The name change also avoids user confusion, ala
    “Why is feature xyz not available [or behaves differently] in “this version” of the program?”

skidoo has no preference as to the “name of the program” nor whether its name is presented with//without capitalized characters.
    IIRC, a case-insensitive global search/replace of the source code + docs would find about 1,300 occurrences
    and could be performed in less than 5 minutes.

The above is a reiteration of details which are contained in earlier posts.
    Also previously explained: support for “icon view” mode is gone, removed from zzzfm source code.
    Its removal was one of the most significant changes toward reducing the program’s runtime memory overhead.
    (Also yielded a significant reduction in code complexity, but I won’t bore ya with the details…)

^— Mentioning this because interim posts have disregarded the earlier posts, folks lamenting “pleeeeze reactivate icon view”

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

As currently is is clearly a test version of slimski, with test messages

Aside from expecting to potentially alter the dimensions of the “popup” error message display boxes (e.g. “incorrect password”) and the font size of displayed error messages ~~ to accommodate potentially loooong [unknown to me at the time] translated character strings, skidoo believed slimski was feature-complete and functionally bug-free.

Currently, I’m unable to assist further development, due to seasonal time constraints.
    From skimming recent posts, I understand that a bug [or misbehavior] was found//fixed regarding locale autodetection during (bullseye? runit?) init.

where are those messages, so I would customize them?

Yeah, this is an example of why I ceased expending my limited free time bothering to “check in” at this forum.
    More often than not, it seems, folks neglect to search // read pre-existing posts (and or docs)…

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Glad to have you back, skidoo. Thanks again for slimski.
    The fixes are mainly for the translation to load, for when using xsessions files (and ignoring desktop-session), and little more.
    Tested on both sysvinit and runit. I also removed dbus dependency to the init file and added consolekit as alternative dependency.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Maybe people don’t understand that you can still select to see the icons and large icons.

That works just fine for me too.

Welcome back skidoo. Thanks for all you have contributed.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I had attempted a followup post (prior to BobC’s), intended to offer some [hopefully] constructive feedback.
    Written on-the-fly, and we’re unable to preview our drafts here… I had intended to proofread/edit after posting but, whoops, stuck in spamfilter ?

That missing post, in summary, contained a critical observation:
    not a meritocracy
    ^—> has been ineffective as a meritocracy, begs frequent and clear communication among “devs+contributors” as well as a consistent policy of assuring the git repo for each source package is kept up-to-date.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@skidoo – since I guess the PM’s are still not working in the forum, I’m going a bit off topic here…

Two of the biggest changes (even if most people don’t notice it) in antiX21 were done because of you: zzzfm and slimski- my opinion is not worth much, but if I designed my own OS, I would make zzzfm it’s default File Manager (in fact, a Transformation Pack I worked on made spacefm the default FM, I’m trying do change some stuff, like using jgmenu, and, if I ever update the Transformation pack install file, it will set the FM to zzzfm)
    Meritocracies do have it’s merits (pun intended), but in antiX’s case I think it’s a different beast- the communication between devs, contributors and users usually works great- and I say this after having many of my suggestions declined by the dev team and some adopted by them.

I usually don’t blame users for offering ideas that were refuted, on the forum (like the zzzfm name)- most people don’t need to have an enciclopedic knowlage of every single thing that was said here before (I’m not that easy going when people ask questions that have been answered many times before- like you I don’t like people too lazy to perform a single search on the forum or even just check antiX’s menu- but I’ve been there, I remember being a noob, I know sometimes we don’t even know how to ask the correct question I need answered… Even so, I usually don’t just reply RTFM (well, sometimes I do, in a polite way)

If you can, stick around… We may need to pick your brain more often than you think! And your ideas are often simply amazing- who ever saw a new File Manager in antiX’s future? Or slimski?

P.

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you PPC!
    I am being though sensitive to the wishes of the owner of two key antiX components – zzzFM (Better than SpaceFM IMHO) file manager and slim ski(doo) login manager. So please forget my suggestions to use something like OneSpaceFM or anything else. I appreciate dev’s work and contribution and whatever names they chose (no matter how crazy) are OK with me. I am just a user anyway…
    Thanks and Regards…

linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up

zzzfm does work as expected and respects authors work. name choices are up to the creator.
    great work.
    never use spacefm much. slimski seems to work good too. but in software an author claiming better is an
    argument waiting to happen but so are picky users. a catch-22.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.