zzzFM file manager

Forum Forums General Software zzzFM file manager

• This topic has 104 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated May 10-6:58 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Yep, during testing I noticed the same. When right-click occurs, if the mouse cursor is moving, even ever-so-slightly… winds up being treated like an intended drag operation. If I manage to solve that, I’ll let you know.

I am about to test zzz, but related to the quoted part I brought up such issue in the past with IceWM/SpaceFM and the only way to mitigate this issue was to use IceWM, not Space-IceWM and on top of this also some drag related parameters in IceWM. If my memory recalls correctly, the drag hand is a part of the issue. The more significant part is that in effect no menu is displayed if any, even minute movement of mouse is detected, as it is interpreted as drag. The only practical solution to this issue was in adjustment within IceWM.

Long time ago but setting in icewm prefs as below should fix problem.
    Expect same kind of setting should fix other wm.

# Delay before click gets interpreted as drag
    ClickMotionDelay=2000 # [0-2000]

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by ModdIt.

The spacefm//zzzfm code already checks gtk-drag-check-threshold()
    which is the bog standard, “by-the-book”, handling.

Ah, that hairball mentioned by olsztyn…
    and the fact that not all among those of us who tested could reproduce the behavior
    reminded me of this:

echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
    echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0
    echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine

^— typos above now fixed, per PPC.

From memory:
    If you use lxappearance, it will stomp (overwrite) any manually-added content in “.gtkrc-2.0”
    If you don’t use lxappearance, nothing consults “.gtkrc-2.0.mine”
    Using lxappearance does not benefit any program which loads a gtk3 -versioned theme.

grep -nr gtk-dnd-drag-threshold /usr/share/themes
    (zero matches)

The default value (implicit, in the absence of custom user settings) is 8px
    ref: /Gtk-3.0/classes/Settings.html#Gtk.Settings.props.gtk_dnd_drag_threshold

I’ll try injecting an additional, hardcoded, higher minimum delta limit into the code.
    In the meantime, you might check whether altering the gtkrc and/or settings.ini (logout/in for the change to be recognized) is helpful.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by skidoo. Reason: typo fix

@all – This is something that the Dev Team could use in the default setting to avoid this minor “draggin” bug.

I tried Moddit’s advice – the bug still remains.
    I tried Skidoo’s suggestions (please note there are some typos on the commands skidoo sugested, the correct ones are below)- the bug no longer manifests in space-icewm desktop (só probably it’s the same for a zzzfm-icewm desktop)- I tried in space-fluxbox, although difficult to trigger the bug with a mouse, it still manifests..

So, to solve this “bug” in space-icewm desktop (it’s not a spacefm/zzzfm “bug”) :

echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
    echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0
    echo "gtk-dnd-drag-threshold = 16" >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine

Restart your session.

“Bug” solved? If not, please try also Moddit’s sugestion and restart your session.
    Like skidoo said, this seems not to work in gtk-3 (I haven’t tested that)…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by PPC.
    XecureXecure

So, to solve this “bug” in space-icewm desktop (it’s not a spacefm/zzzfm “bug”)

Unfortunately, it IS a spacefm/zzzfm bug. If you use pcmanfm to set up the desktop
    pcmanfm --desktop
    the bug is not there. So there must be a dragging implementation in spacefm/zzzfm for left-click (works 90% OK), and a right-click drag behavior, which I think should be completely removed (or create an exception, as skidoo mentions, to ignore dragging with right-click).

If you use pcmanfm to set up the desktop
    pcmanfm –desktop
    the bug is not there.

Well, that’ll show me not to extrapolate from the little information I have… I have not run pcmanfm since mu *ubuntu days… So I should have not made such a general statement. I generally use spacefm (now zzzfm) as my main file manager, a little rox-filer when I have to, and I tested out a couple of file managers (just to manage files, not my desktop- like I said, I ‘m no longer a desktop icon user)

Now that I think of it, it was obvious- the problem is still there, in a spacefm managed fluxbox desktop- so it’s a spacefm/zzzfm problem!

But the solution skiddo provided does really solve it in my space-icewm desktop (I also applied Moddit’s suggestion first- I’m not sure if the problem is solved by applying both procedures or only skidoo’s).

I only dabble a little at bash scripting, so I can’t help fix the bug, but I offer a suggestion, for those that really understand programming languages- maybe pcman’s source code has some comment on the code that sets these settings?

P.

libffmpegthumnailer drags in a lot of chained dependencies and “costs” everyone NOT interested in having those video thumbs the additional runtime overhead from loading those additional libraries… so that feature has been willfully omitted but, if you care to rebuild a personal copy, it is still available via a compile-time option.

Thanks for the info, Skidoo, but, like I said, having no video thumnails is no deal breaker for me, nor worth the trouble to compile a personal copy just to add that feature…
    But zzzfm’s User Manual should/could be corrected, in this section:

Feature-Rich - Subtle power features to improve efficiency and abilities

‣ Video and image thumbnails 

About the lack of a “trash” bin:
    Most of the occorences of that word are from me, on my small how-to add a trash bin to spacefm/zzzfm – basicly like you said- I suggest a using a “mv %F” to trash folder command, added not as a “tool” but in the contextual menu. And yes, a keybinding can be set to it- I use the “Delete” key, and it has the trash bin icon.
    I removed the trash bin icon from the “delete” contextual menu entry (to avoid user confusion). I also renamed it something like “Delete permanently“. Users can set a new key bind (something like ctrl+delete) for it.
    All that can be done directly editing the config file, no further tweaks in the code needed.
    To access the trash bin, I suggest using a Bookmark with the gtk-delete icon, or a toolbar menu entry called Trash bin, or a new entry to the toolbar, with the trash bin icon…
    If implemented, this small tweaks would mean that, if zzzfm replaces spacefm in antiX21 (even without the rebrand, that may confuse some users), switching to it would offer a trash bin, that many newbies and hardcore users (me included) think antiX lacks, out of the box.
    Without trying to stear your ship, skidoo, I think adding a trash bin would be something that implies very little extra work and offers very much needed features.

Only con: the entries refering to the trash bin, as I propose, would lack localization support… That would imply some extra work.
    Also, how would this work if a user from a OS that included real trash support, installs zzzfm? I read a single article on-line, that pointed to the fact that users could manually move files to the trash folder, so I guess this would be ok…

P.

@skidoo – I submitted a merge request to the pt language file that, if used will localize about 99% of the GUI of the file manager (I’ve not messed with the dialogue part, I’m too overwhelmed)

P.

maybe pcman’s source code has some comment on the code that sets these

Few breadcrumbs in their code, so I’ve been trawling through the pcman commitlog messages.
    Here’s one of the changes which seems very close-to-the-mark for the drag issue:
    https://github.com/lxde/pcmanfm/commit/48457e53d40551b6525e52f3d536d06a1512c586

>>> ‣ Video and image thumbnails
    Good catch. I’ve now nixed that bullet point in the manual.

>>> right-click drag behavior, which I think should be completely removed
    I agree that it should be removed (while button3 is depressed) but enforcing that is proving to be difficult.

>>> the entries refering to the trash bin, as I propose, would lack localization support

Across-the-board (not specific to trash plugin), the inability of plugins to provide localization support is likely one of the reasons that the notion of user-contributed spacefm “plugins” failed to gain traction. Similarly, the overhyped notion that spacefm users would be able to import/export/share “bookmarks” and “custom commands/scripts” failed to consider localization concerns.

>>> I submitted a merge request to the pt language file

Yay, thanks! Now merged and will be available in 1.0.7-1 (hopefully later today).
    I’m curious to hear:
    Did you find that the converted-from-spacefm translation pairs had survived well, or were many of them mangled/missing?

@Skidoo-

Did you find that the converted-from-spacefm translation pairs had survived well, or were many of them mangled/missing?

If you mean the text that referes to the file manager to “zzzfm” instead of “spacefm”- I noticed no problems at all with the text I read…

I just installed and tested version 1.0.7-1 – many thanks skidoo, it already features a Portuguese that a Portuguese speaking person can fully understand for most common tasks, like navigating folders, renaming/copying/deleting files, etc.
    Unfortunately my first commit (I think I made it in the very same day zzzfm was announced) wasn’t included..- probably my bad, I’m not used to commiting stuff… I’ll try to fix error, do some missing interface translations and translate some more sections… I’ll give you a head’s up when I push that commit over to you… Probably I’ll finish up the interface section, push that, then try some more sections and push that one small bit at a time- there are about 600 unlocalized to portuguese sections…

>>> the entries refering to the trash bin, as I propose, would lack localization support

I gave some though about including a “trash bin” out of the box, that can be fully localized…
    First, here’s what I think about “trash bin”:
    1- I’m all for it… I’m used to that feature since my Windows 95 days (probably even from Windows 3, I can’t really recall that much about it)
    2- If it’s there, even if untranslated, but with the trash bin icon, I think most users would appreciate that feature…
    3- This brings me to my idea to include a fully localized trash bin- you seem to be against it, Skidoo, but, not just talking about myself, I think most people prefer having trash/ recycle bin available, even if they don’t use it:
    So if you want to try to add it to a future version (I’m sorry if my idea sounds really dumb, I’m not a programmer): you could duplicate the source code entry that creates the “delete” contextual menu (it’s key bind is “delete”); rename it to something like “permanently delete” and remove it’s keybind / use another key bind (like ctrl + delete); on then rename the duplicated entry to “Send to Trash”; change the command it runs to the appropriated “mv %F” command; set its keybinding to “delete”. You could add another contextual menu entry (something like “Trash folder” and set it’s command to use zzzfm to open the trash folder).
    Other than that, all that I think it’s missing is that the deb package would have to create the trash folder (just in case is does not already exist)
    If all that is feasible, the language file just needs to have those 2 extra entries to translate- users like myself and Marcelo, etc, would be happy to localize it…

As always, thanks for your efforts, Skidoo

P.

@Skiddo: I translated many more entries (some 250 left), but I got an error saying someone else edited the po file at the same time when I tried to merge it…
    My po file is attached:

Edit: the forum nuked my attachment, so here it is: https://ufile.io/yzkxzq2m

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by PPC.
    marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hello everybody.

I am following the progress of this topic.

I take this opportunity to thank Skidoo for yet another important initiative.

It will be great to have an even more economical SpaceFM in RAM and processing.
    I really like all the ideas presented by PPC, especially about the trash and the text “Permanently Delete” – we need to be aware that the lack of this basic information causes a headache for those who do not know antiX and SpaceFM. All other PPC ideas are details that make a big difference in the final result. Another suggestion is about something I miss in SpaceFM, the possibility of automatically renaming several files or folders, similar to what you can do with Windows File Explorer. The user selects all files or folders, renames only the first one, for example, with the name Foto (1) .jpg, all the others will be renamed automatically and sequentially to Foto (2) .jpg, Foto (3) .jpg, Foto (4) .jpg and so on. Another perception I had of SpaceFM is about the ability to mount storage devices, Rox-Filler seems to be able to do the assembly more easily than SpaceFM. In some tests that I did, I imagine that due to the permissions only Rox-Filler as root could access the hard drive, SpaceFM as root could not access the same hard drive.
    As soon as possible I will test “zzzFM”, which could also be called “Skidoo’s SpaceFM” or “Skidoo Filer Manager” or “SSFM” – First “S” from “Skidoo” and “SFM” from “SpaceFM” .
    I downloaded the file “pt_BR.po” yesterday, as soon as I can revise all the texts in pt-BR, I will send here the URL to be added to the Skidoo project.

Thanks.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá a todos.

Eu estou acompanhando o andamento deste tópico.

Aproveito para agradecer ao Skidoo por mais esta importante iniciativa.

Será muito bom ter um SpaceFM ainda mais econômico em memória RAM e processamento.
    Eu gosto muito de todas as ideias apresentadas pelo PPC, em especial sobre a lixeira e sobre o texto “Excluir Permanentemente” – precisamos nos atentar que a falta desta informação básica, causa dor de cabeça para quem não conhece o antiX e o SpaceFM. Todas as outras ideias do PPC são detalhes que fazem muita diferença no resultado final. Outra sugestão é sobre algo que sinto falta no SpaceFM, a possibilidade de renomear automaticamente vários arquivos ou pastas, semelhante ao que é possível fazer com o Explorador de Arquivos do Windows. O usuário seleciona todos os arquivos ou pastas renomeia apenas o primeiro, por exemplo, com o nome Foto (1).jpg, todas as outras serão renomeadas automaticamente e sequencialmente para Foto (2).jpg, Foto (3).jpg, Foto (4).jpg e assim por diante. Outra percepção que eu tive do SpaceFM é sobre a capacidade de montar dispositivos de armazenamento, o Rox-Filler parece conseguir fazer a montagem mais facilmente do que o SpaceFM. Em alguns testes que eu fiz, imagino eu, que devido as permissões só o Rox-Filler como root conseguia acessar o disco rígido, o SpaceFM como root não conseguia acessar o mesmo disco rígido.
    Assim que for possível eu irei testar o “zzzFM”, que também poderia ser chamado de “SpaceFM do Skidoo” ou “Skidoo Filer Manager” ou “SSFM” – Primeiro “S” de “Skidoo” e “SFM” de “SpaceFM”.
    Eu baixei ontem o arquivo “pt_BR.po“, assim que eu conseguir revisar todos os textos em pt-BR, eu enviarei aqui a URL para ser adicionada ao projeto do Skidoo.

Obrigado.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Hi,
    I noticed all the activity and so I wanted to give zzzFM a try. So I tested the three file managers for memory usage using htop:
    spaceFM 1.0.6-4 GTK2 version
    zzzFM 1.0.7 GTK2 version
    dolphin 4.18.08.0-1

I have been using dolphin predominantly as my file manager.

The way that I tested was to boot regularly into antiX 19.1 and then launch one of the file managers and then measure memory usage using htop. Then I would reboot and do the same with another file manager.

This is what I found:

spaceFM 1.0.6-4 GTK2 version
    vir virtual memory: 413 M
    res physical memory: 66732
    shr shared memory: 38468
    mem%: 4.1

zzzFM 1.0.7 GTK2 version
    vir virtual memory: 217 M
    res physical memory: 42860
    shr shared memory: 20540
    mem%: 2.6

dolphin 4.18.08.0-1
    vir virtual memory: 644 M
    res physical memory: 113M
    shr shared memory: 80524
    mem%: 7.1

I do like the functionality of dolphin, but considering these numbers, I will give zzzFM a try.
    Thanks

XecureXecure

I am one of those “strange” people who don’t use a trash bin. If I delete something, I do it for good. This is probably a behavior inherited from using antiX on live USB with persistence for a long time. Saving space is priority when using a small USB storage.
    So I share the same philosophy as skidoo, to NOT have the trashcan ON by the default. I originally suggested a toggle option to enable/disable, but that is too much work. Probably a small package “zzzfm-trashcan” to be installed separately, with dependency for zzzfm and trash-cli, a script to automate PPC’s instructions. We could keep the “Delete” and “Trash” translations there, instead of hacking the zzzfm to figure out how to enable/disable it.

Another suggestion is about something I miss in SpaceFM, the possibility of automatically renaming several files or folders, similar to what you can do with Windows File Explorer.

That is why linux users create small scripts. You can create one with your desired instructions and link it to a new right-click menu item in SpaceFM, as explained by PPC in another thread (to add items to the right-click menu). With this you can do exactly what you want (select all desired files, right-click, select “Rename all”, and give the desired name.
    The customizability of Linux lets you do these kind of things.

Another perception I had of SpaceFM is about the ability to mount storage devices, Rox-Filler seems to be able to do the assembly more easily than SpaceFM. In some tests that I did, I imagine that due to the permissions only Rox-Filler as root could access the hard drive, SpaceFM as root could not access the same hard drive.

This is news to me. When I have SpaceFM (as root) opened, on the left “Devices” panel I click the internal device and it mounts properly and opens in a new tab.
    Maybe I have been lucky, but this has been my limited experience. Could someone else also reproduce marcelo’s problem and provide guidance?

Hi,
    Concerning the mounting issue, I find that rox-filer, spaceFM, and zzzFM mount the same. But dolphin is superior. This is my own experience, and here is why I say this. I have an old Samsung 60 GB USB thumb drive. For whatever reason, rox-filer does not automount this USB drive, whereas rox-filer would automount all my other USB thumb drives. Similarly, spaceFM and zzzFM cannot mount this thumb drive. But dolphin can. Interestingly, once dolphin mounts this Samsung thumb drive, then rox-filer, spaceFM, and zzzFM can mount it afterwards. Bizarre. Dolphin just needs to mount it and then all the other file managers can recognize it. This is why I have using dolphin more as a file manager. But this is just my own experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.