zzzFM file manager

Forum Forums General Software zzzFM file manager

• This topic has 104 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated May 10-6:58 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Each time you create a custom command, you have an opportunity to assign to it a keybind

I’m not custom to create custom commands in GUI, so I have no idea what you are talking about here, or in which place to look for this. Is this meant for general system wide usage, as I presume? I was talking only about the very three copy commands within this context menu of zzzfm. Have tried to render this more precisely in original posting. I wasn’t aware this was something like bricking up horses (or camels tails or whatever).

Seems like the person translating this took the liberty of inserting “Objekte”.

Obviously. We’ll take care of this when translating strings for zzzFM. No problem.

minimial benefit … and its presence will cause “ellipsized text” to be triggered sooner, when long pathnames

I agree 100%. The ellipsition of pathnames is a necessary evil. We should render this to minimum, omiting any unnecessary word while trying to make it understandable intuitively. What about
    799G free (1,8T) 347# /path/...
    No need for separator between value and value identifier, and no need for any word here (disregarding “free”), but rendering clear 347 isn’t a size but a number of items. The sharp sign indicates numbers. The braces stand traditionally for the meaning “of”, so now the line (hopefully) reads intuitively: “there are 799G free of 1,8T total, containing 347 items.”

Just looked into zzzfm on transifex. There are two similar strings, not sure which is the one we are referring to here:
    #372 “12 G free / 200 G 52 items” which is translated to “12 G frei / 200 G 52 Elemente” (No idea what the static values 12 and 200 and 52 are implied to represent here, I’d expect to see placeholders instead), and another one: #942 “1%s free / 1%s” which probably could be the one we are talking about, but there seems to be missing the placeholder entry for number of items. So from the last one can’t impossibly originate the missing space and the additional word “Objekte”. None of them contains the word “Objekte” in translation, as seen in recent SpaceFM from antiX, so I believe there must have changed something in translations already on the way from spaceFM to zzzFM. Could you please post a sample of the original string from code, so we can identify it among the 1506 translated strings zzzFM consists of in transifex?

what is holding antiX or developer (skidoo) from calling it SpaceFM 1.07

Nothing, if you can get consent from originator of spacFM to adopt this name for continuation of his baby…

>>> No idea what the static values 12 and 200 and 52 are implied to represent here

Yes, placeholder text, as you correctly guessed.
    Where in the program is it used (seen)?
    If a user right-clicks the status bar, s/he is able to choose a custom font (fontface and size) for the status bar. That “12 G frei / 200 G 52 Elemente” would be the sample text displayed in the font chooser window.

Could you please post a sample of the original string from code,
    so we can identify it among the 1506 translated strings zzzFM consists of in transifex?

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/teach+a+man+to+fish

browsable project source code repository: https://gitlab.com/skidoo/zzzfm

If transifex does not provide the sourcefile name for each string, that detail is is present within .po file for each message pair, so…

https://gitlab.com/skidoo/zzzfm/-/blob/master/po/fr.po
    you can Ctrl+F find-in-page any string of interest, to discover the associated file

{snip}
    #: ../src/settings.c:11239
    msgid “12 G free / 200 G 52 items”
    msgstr “12 Go d’espace libre / 200 Go 52 éléments”
    {snip}

^—v
    https://gitlab.com/skidoo/zzzfm/-/blob/master/src/settings.c

I recommend Ctrl+F find-in-page (vs searching exact line number) because, at any given point in time the exact line numbers may be mismatched (each sourcefile change posted to master branch files in the repository does not trigger immediate re-generation of all the .po files)

If a user right-clicks the status bar, s/he is able to choose a custom font (fontface and size) for the status bar.

Impressive. Didn’t know about being able to change font size in status line, thought it was predefined (static). To be honest, I didn’t know about the right click on status line coming up with a context menu at all.
    Your line reads perfect now:
    5.1 G free / 6.2 G 6 visible (43 hidden) /path
    (just as seen on your screenshot, board software eats up some spaces here.)

This is best solution for this, really. Since font is user adaptable (to condensed e.g.) there is no need to save words or pieces of information here.

(typing here after glancing at the separate transifex topic)

Across years, I’ve noticed that programmers will often sprinkle inline comments directed toward prospective translators. As far as I knew (or did not know), translation software presented a paned UI ~~ simultaneously showing the sourcecode, in context, alongside the currently viewed message string pairs.

sudo apt install poedit
    I have not checked. Does this software provide a better UI than transifex?
    (Understandably, casual tranlators will only visit transifex, will not locally install a dedicated translation program.)

If transifex does not provide the sourcefile name for each string, that detail is is present within .po file for each message pair, so…

Well, transifex provides the source string name, and I can find strings in .po or even .mo files, no problem. But this is facing another case: you can’t impossible guess the numbers in this string are NOT normal text when seeing it on transifex. Usually placeholders are marked in some way as untranslatable parts of a string, whereas these plain values are presented as normal translatable text only. Thus I couldn’t have imagined this is actually the string I was searching for, the string we are talking about, believing I should rather look for some kind of placeholder, and taking this one for a leftover from testing.
    Additional hint. Not marking the numbers in strings distinguishable as placeholders induces additional pain: Translating this string to languages not using Arabic numerals will necessarily fail (not recently probably, don’t know whether we cover any such language, but for sure in future) Example: “免費 拾贰 吉咖 / 貳佰 吉咖 叁拾 件” It is important to make sure translators can clearly distinguish between standard text and variables in any strings marked for translation. If this is not possible, transifex provides the “Developer notes” feature where developers can point to such unexpectable obstacles. A hint like “numerals in this string are placeholders, don’t translate!” would be enough already.

Does this software provide a better UI than transifex?

I have poedit installed for a long time. You’ll not see neither source code in it, nor line numbers, the latter not even if present as remarks in .po files. Only way is to open .po file directly in text editor and search for the string, deriving from the remarks one line above msg ID the line number of source code, then open source code in text editor and search for this line number. This is something most translators won’t (can’t) do. It wouldn’t help much anyway, since if not being programmers themselves they wouldn’t understand from the findings in source code what this code actually executes, and to which part of UI it is correlated (given there is not an additional comment in source code, but even then: most translators won’t be able to distinguish comments in source code from the actual code)
    If developer doesn’t give any hints, translators will be lost. We are well trained to guess things correctly in many cases, but some (like this one) are simply unknowable.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Robin.

Nothing, if you can get consent from originator of spacFM to adopt this name for continuation of his baby…

In reference to the above and reading what skidoo pointed me to:
    Not trying to influence your judgement in this respect, you being much more familiar with intricacies of ‘license’ rules and customs in the domain of Open Software…
    It is just MHO and my practical understanding of the ‘Open Software’ that in such case, where further development and maintenance of such open software was abandoned (three years ago, I think) it is reasonable and beneficial to community that someone continues maintenance or even further development if needed.
    With all the respect to the original developer of such fine product, my (limited, I admit) understanding is that the original developer would not have such legal or moral right to prevent further improvement of such product after having abandoned it. The request from the original developer to name it differently if changes are made, must have been referring to building variants and naming them the same, thus creating confusion, made with assumption of continued, indefinite and timely maintenance of this product by the original developer.
    Just MHO…

This is quite easy to explain:

1.) The originator doesn’t in any way inhibit the further development, improvement and maintenance of this code. He has set it under a free licence, so anyone has the right to continue his work.

2.) Since everybody can do this, nobody can claim to be the true heir of the “original” – as long as the originator hasn’t enthroned somebody before. This is what I meant by saing “get consent from him”.

3.) Think about what would happen if somebody else would also create another new “spaceFM”, with the same intention as skidoo? Do we have two (three, four, five…) code bases, named identical? Who is the true heir of the name?

So it is that simple, you can break it down to “get consent from originator or chose another name, while you can do what you want with the code itself.” And yes, maybe he’d be glad to see the work he has laid foundations for prosper in future. But this doesn’t help the necessity to ask him before you can use the original name for it. If he consents, fine, use it. But it’s not a moral thing or so…

2.) Since everybody can do this, nobody can claim to be the true heir of the “original” – as long as the originator hasn’t enthroned somebody before. This is what I meant by saing “get consent from him”.

Thank you!
    I think you perfectly explained the right to ‘lineage’ and ‘true heir’ claim. Understood and agreed…
    Having established this fact, whichever way the name will end up I hope antiX owner will recognize the advantage of replacing the original SpaceFM with the Skidoo’s version, considering among others:
    – Memory footprint significantly lower, while providing the same functionality.
    – Annoying ‘drag bug’ resolved.
    Thanks again and Regards…

In computer chess, there is a very famous program called SCID which is a database chess program that one can also play against a computer chess engine. There is a famous fork of SCID, which looks very similar to SCID. That fork is called SCIDvsPC. The look of SCIDvsPC is very similar to SCID, but some would argue an improvement. The developers of SCIDvsPC, I speculate, wanted to retain some of the name of SCID because it looks very similar to the original SCID. But unique from SCID.

How about something like SPACEzzzFM as the name of this file manager?
    Just my thoughts.
    Thanks

This does not bug me at all, but, if you are correcting the info displayed on the bottom of the window ( the free disk space, etc) why not also correct it to display Gb instead of G, Mb instead of M, etc?

About the rebranding of zzzFM, I think the application name is as bad as the application itself is good- a lot, but that’s also not something that bug me- I gave several naming suggestions…
    I’m not really sure if something like “spacezzzFM” would respect the SpaceFm’s Dev wishes… And, above all, it would keep the tradition (that I greatly dislike) of having strange and hard to say names for Open Source software. One of the best names ever chosen in FOSS was, in my opinion “OpenOffice”- even the current one’s “LibreOffice” may sound strange to native English speakers (I’m not really sure, English is not my native tongue).

I also previously stated that on my test PC, the drag “bug” was sometimes present- a fresh reinstall, as per Skidoo’s instructions solved that…
    Also I love how nice it is to have a file manager that, at first glance, is completely in my native tongue- that should appeal so many users, particulary those that have to share their antiX boxes with people that don’t have a good grasp on the English language…

So far, after some days of daily usage the only (tiny) con is no video thumbnails (to me it’s the single thing that’s really “superior” in rox-filer). Then again, is it really a feature that we need? It’s not exactly like looking at a picture thumbnail- that allows us to immediately identify the file…
    The pros are: zzzfm is rock solid (the only time(s) I saw it crash is when inserting a thumb-drive, when spacefm is the default file manager- maybe something overlaps and when spacefm opens zzfm is kicked from my computer’s RAM).
    It’s fast and light, and as configurable as spacefm…

P.

pappy says: “You can lead a horse to water, but ya can’t brick ’em up”

OK, skidoo, after translating most of the leftofver strings in transifex for zzzFM in German language, I’ve managed to find out pappy’s perfectly right. You can’t brick this camel, really: This Beast is bricked already.

So I’m eager to find out how all this works practical.
    So long

why not also correct it mogrify it to display Gb instead of G, Mb instead of M, etc?

loosey-goosey with the terminology, eh?

97 definitions… and none of ’em are represented as “uppercase G, lowercase b

( but I, too, sometimes type it that way. Shhhh! )

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

G♭
    …major, or minor?

? ? ?
    G6
    “600MB of RAM are used from 3G6 available”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.