zzzFM file manager

Forum Forums General Software zzzFM file manager

• This topic has 122 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Oct 18-8:12 pm by Senpai.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Hello @skidoo ,

Do you believe we could brick this beast up even a little bit more?
    My proposal this time would be:
    Addition of a default menu item to context menu “New–>Archive”, which allows splitting of (large) archive files in on step:
    The needed command would run something like

tar -cvzf - %N | split -d -b 699M - %o.

I’ve tested it to be functional when modifying the executed line in archive context menue to this example. Archive is splitted as requested to a series of files with .00 .01 .02 … extensions.
    From translations of zzzFM I have learned user can configure this on his own, but still there would be the need of an additional placeholder (%something) and an additional entry field (or choice box) prepared to take a value for the actual target size of created files, which is fixed to 699 MiB in my example command.

tar -cvzf - %N | split -d -b %size - %o.

It turned out it is quite difficult for users not familiar with command line operation to figure what and how exactly they do have to enter to get what they want from these commands. (E.g. the dot behind %o is needed to seperate filename from appended values created by split command, and the use of dashes to direct out/input to/from stdout/in instead of filenames in both commands is not self evident to most users also. Finally the actual output filename is handled as “prefix” by “split” rather than as an actual filename.)

Alternatively one could think of an additional checkbox within this archive-menu, which would activate this splitting feature to all kind of available archive- and compression formats recently on choice. This would complicate things, since each compression command would need to get treated individually probably.

What do you think of it?

If this can’t get achieved: never mind, it’s — as always — to be understood as an proposal merely, and I do know we don’t live in a perfect world 🙂

P.S.: Was still not able to explore the true zzzFM, I’m really sorry for this, skidoo! It is not ill will, but I’m simply stuck to that many other tasks…

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

@PPC found & reported a mislabeled contextMenu item.
    panel1:bookmarks right-click item labeled “Cut” should be labeled “New”.
    Letting you know this will be fixed in the next version release.

From time to time, with heavy use, zzzfm crashes for me, but that already happened to me with spacefm. I just open it again and it continues exactly in the same place I left

Yes, spacefm also, but it’s not something that happened often enough that I ever paid much attention to the issue. Since you mentioned this (a few weeks have passed), I have been trying to figure out the trigger so I might fix the issue.

Usually, I will have multiple file manager tabs open, with one of the tabs browsing the /tmp directory. Recently, on multiple days I have noticed that a “sudden closure” event occurs immediately after compiling (in a subdirectory of /tmp) and installing to test a package. This is leading me to consider the possibility that the rapid-fire events related to file creation/deletion when compiling a project is overwhelming some buffer in the file manager. However, on at least one occasion, I had just apt purged a couple packages (packages which were unrelated the project I was compiling that day) and… upon my next click on the file manager window, instead of raising to top of stack, poof, it closed. Just letting you know that I’m tracking this, haven’t swept it under the rug.

Also (keeping track of) increased and max used memory when the file manager instance remains open and used across several days. Quite a while back, I had used the valgrind program to profile spacefm, and had learned that one of the underlying (libcairo?) gtk2 shared libraries bleeds a minor (but cumulative) amount of memory.

My proposal this time would be:
    Addition of a default menu item to context menu “New–>Archive”, which allows splitting of (large) archive files in on step:
    The needed command would run something like

Specific to this exact suggestion, I quite honestly cannot recall the last time I had the need to chunk an overly-large archive. In general, regarding the prospect of adding further built-ins… as the saying goes, “merge requests are welcome, but (predictably, understandably, no one steps forward) and unfortunately the project maintainer doesn’t have any further immediate itches to scratch”.

As a participant in the SalineOS community, I fondly recall trading recipes (Thunar custom actions) and building a shared community collection. That was gonna be even easier (said the spacefm, nee PCManFMmod, authors) with the advent of import/export custom commands n plugins… but that didn’t come to fruition, eh? ManyMost of the task-specific custom whizmos wind up proving to be TOO specific to be welcomed by a wide audience For instance, “chunk tar into 10 parts” ~~ whatif I have something other than a tarball? whatif, this time, I don’t want TEN chunks? The program lacks a step-by-step (series of dialogs) framework for walking the user through the “this time, or use default” variable values. If we (the collective wishful-thinking we) were to add a step-by-step or, a fill-in-the-blanks, framework for collecting runtime variables… skidoo believes that calling a task-specific yad powered utility would be MUCH preferable approach.

It turned out it is quite difficult for users not familiar with command line operation to figure what and how exactly they do have to enter to get what they want from these commands.

I hear ya, loud and clear, but slapping a rigid gui in place of the commandline, too often doesn’t make it any easier for the user to accomplish the task at hand. By “rigid”, mean an inflexible framework into which “custom” tasks are shoehorned (often with no localization, no tooltips, no context-specific help link provided). Yad (and QtCreator) are much better suited for the presentation(s).

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I don’t usually use desktop icons, but, I decided to test that functionality on my zzzfm managed desktop and I noticed, not a bug, but a strange behavior that may be due to the way zzzfm’s drag bug was solved- if you want to drag a desktop icon in the vertical or the horizontal axis, you can’t do it in a linear way (in a straight line)… You have to click and old the icon then move it to the desired location starting with a curved path, not a straight line, or else the icon stays put [the mouse pointer only changes to the “move icon pointer” after you waggle the icon around]. It’s no big deal- even if I was a desktop icon user, it’s only a very minor inconvenience…

I’m just reporting it here, so no one else is caught off guard and complains that desktop icon’s can’t be moved.

P.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

The crashes don’t happen often, so I wouldn’t consider it a priority. As the tabs are remembered, there isn’t much damage.

You have to click and old the icon then move it to the desired location starting with a curved path, not a straight line, or else the icon stays put [the mouse pointer only changes to the “move icon pointer” after you waggle the icon around].

I thought this was the same in spacefm. I will have to check it out.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi guys,

After many hours of work and after several days …, I was able to complete the revision of the translations of zzzFM on the transifex site for pt-BR. Please use the file “zzzfmpot” from https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/dashboard/ in the new “.deb” installation packages for this important file manager program.

Observations: Not all the texts that I revised or adapted left me completely satisfied, due to some doubts that I had, even testing the translations from the English language into Brazilian Portuguese in several different internet translators and several times I compared them with the European Portuguese translations. that also did not make me happy in these cases. I am satisfied when I read and can understand the sentence, when it happens, I believe that other Brazilians will also be able to understand the sentence and so communication occurs with satisfaction. And my goal is achieved when communication takes place.

I hope that the anticapitalista and the official antiX developer team have tested and analyzed zzzFM, that they consider using it to replace SpaceFM in antiX 19.4 and antiX 21.

My compliments and thanks to you Skidoo, for all your work and commitment to zzzFM.

Thank you very much.

Note: The next one will be “aCMSTS (antiX-multilanguage-test-suite)”

marcelocripe

———-

Olá caros,

Após muitas horas de trabalho e após vários dias …, eu consegui concluir a revisão das traduções do zzzFM no sítio transifex para pt-BR. Por favor, utilizem o arquivo “zzzfmpot” do sítio https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/dashboard/ nos novos pacotes “.deb” de instalação deste importante programa gerenciador de arquivos.

Observações: Nem todos os textos que revisei ou adaptei me deixaram totalmente satisfeitos, devido algumas dúvidas que tive, mesmo testando as traduções do idioma Inglês para o Português do Brasil em diversos tradutores da internet diferentes e por várias vezes comparei com as traduções em Português Europeu que também não me deixaram satisfeitos nestes casos. Eu fico satisfeito quando leio e consigo compreender a frase, quando isso acontece, eu acredito que outros brasileiros também conseguirão compreender a frase e assim a comunicação ocorre com satisfação. E o meu objetivo é alcançado quando ocorre a comunicação.

Eu espero que o anticapitalista e a equipe oficial de desenvolvedores do antiX tenham testado e analisado o zzzFM, que considerem utilizá-lo em substituição ao SpaceFM no antiX 19.4 e no antiX 21.

Meus cumprimentos e agradecimentos a você Skidoo, por todo o seu trabalho e empenho no zzzFM.

Muito obrigado.

Nota: O próximo será o “aCMSTS (antiX-multilanguage-test-suite)”

marcelocripe

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

predictably, understandably, no one steps forward

Once I’ve learned to understand so called “object oriented” programming structures with all their (to me by now meaningless) dots between expressions stringed together in a seemingly incoherent way I’ll look into this. Till then I’ll have to stand in file and have to hope other people accordingly skilled will step forward.

Meanwhile…

skidoo believes that calling a task-specific yad powered utility would be MUCH preferable approach.

This is a good idea, skidoo. I’ll see what I can do by means of scripting. We are not in a hurry to achieve this, so it’ll take some time, since other tasks are more pressing. But I won’t leave it behind.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

skidoo wrote:

skidoo believes that calling a task-specific yad powered utility would be MUCH preferable approach.

This is a good idea, skidoo. I’ll see what I can do by means of scripting. We are not in a hurry to achieve this, so it’ll take some time, since other tasks are more pressing. But I won’t leave it behind.

skidoo wrote:

Better yet? Using zzzfm dialog! But that implies learning how to use it- not many people know (except maybe us that translated zzzfm) that both spacefm and zzzfm offer the possibility to create costumized windows to get input from the user and send output to a script (just like yad does)

P.

vitforlinux
    Helpful
    Up

Packages zzzfm 1.0.7-4 from Antix contribs tested an working in Ubuntu 20.04 and Devuan with JWM and converted correctly with debtap and installed with sudo pacman -U in Manjaro with JWM.

1.0.7-5 from skidoo zzzfm gitlab have a Antix specific dependence libeudev>=3.2.9.1.0antix4 … remove it and all works in any distro!

Thanks Vit

Sorry for my spaghetti english, i'm italian.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I will have a look at building it in the weekend with default debian repos only.

Thanks for reporting your experience.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I hadn’t followed this one. I’ll give it a try, too. Good of you guys to pick up the ball on this. SpaceFM has been my favorite File Manager for quite a while.

On the subject of trash recoverability, many of my deletes are done with Midnight Commander. I’m not sure if there is any Linux trash recovering system that covers that scenario as well as things deleted via the X windows File Manager, and other programs from various sources. It would need to be build in at a low level to have that ability, I would think.

Thankfully, I don’t find myself needing that feature often.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I install this today by compiling in Arch linux seems to be working fine. Testing will continue. (Do the spaceFM plugins work?)

zzzfm –version
    zzzfm 1.0.7
    GTK2 UDEV INOTIFY DESKTOP

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Koo.

Linux antix21 5.15.0-3.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

1.0.7-5 from skidoo zzzfm gitlab have a Antix specific dependence libeudev>=3.2.9.1.0antix4 … remove it and all works in any distro!

Uploaded the new debs for 1.0.7-5 in the antiX contribs repo. See if these work OK on pure Debian.

Thanks for testing.

vitforlinux
    Helpful
    Up

Version 1.0.7-5 from Antix Linux Contribs installed and working in Ubuntu 20.04 and Devuan 3 (Miyolinux)

Feature request: “Style> Icons” in folders like old SpaceFM. Pleeeaaase.(or in Italian: ti prego)

Sorry for my spaghetti english, i'm italian.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I added zzzFM to the enhanced antiX screenshot utility I’ve been working on.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/light-weight-screenshot-and-annotate-combo/page/21/#post-62999

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I recompiled your update to 1.0.7-5 common version still works with Arch.

Linux antix21 5.15.0-3.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.