zzzFM file manager

Forum Forums General Software zzzFM file manager

• This topic has 142 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Oct 12-2:21 am by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    Xecure

Great to know it works on different platforms.
      The zzzfm dev hasn’t been active recently, but if they don’t see your request, I will try to see if I can restore the “Icon” view on the weekend.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
      General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Senpai

Hi:
        I tried to install zzzfm on MX21-xfce-ahs-64bits, and in its version zzzfm-gtk3_1.0.7-5_amd64.deb and zzzfmm_1.0.7-5_amd64.deb, it gives this error and does not let install (Cannot satisfy dependency “libeudev1 (>=246:3.2.9.1.0antix4)) How could I install it?
        In the version zzzfm-common_1.0.7-5_all.deb, it does not give this error and installs, but I do not see it working, it does not get in the menu, nor do I see the executable anywhere, my MX is 64 bits.
        Greetings from Senpai

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Senpai.
        Senpai

Hi:
          I tried to install zzzfm on MX21-xfce-ahs-64bits, and in its version zzzfm-gtk3_1.0.7-5_amd64.deb and zzzfmm_1.0.7-5_amd64.deb, it gives this error and does not let install (Cannot satisfy dependency “libeudev1 (>=246:3.2.9.1.0antix4)) How could I install it?
          In the version zzzfm-common_1.0.7-5_all.deb, it does not give this error and installs, but I do not see it working, it does not get in the menu, nor do I see the executable anywhere, my MX is 64 bits.
          Greetings from Senpai

EDITED:
          I don’t know how, but now it doesn’t happen anymore, I installed it again zzzfm_1.0.7-6~contribs2_amd64.deb from here.
          http://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/zzzfm/-/tree/contribs/deb-packages and now it installed fine and working, thank you

BobC

Thanks much to skidoo and the rest of you for your efforts to provide zzzfm.

A feature that would be real nice would be for file search changes to be saved and reselectable so we don’t have to retype the search string and reselect the folders to search each time.

Sorry, I don’t know how hard this would be or how to code it.

It looks like its a separate program written in C. Maybe I’ll look to see if I can figure any of it out. The folder reselection is probably real difficult, but maybe recent search strings wouldn’t be that bad…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by BobC.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Anonymous

file search changes to be saved and reselectable so we don’t have to retype the search string and reselect the folders to search each time.

consider:

excerpt from www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/fsearch-find-files-on-linux

On Linux, many file managers have a search feature built-in. They get the job done, for the most part. However, if you’re not happy with the speed of search through the file manager, it may be a good idea to check out a dedicated searching app. Introducing Fsearch: a blazing fast app that allows users to build and maintain their own file database and find files on Linux more efficiently.

I would rather mothball the existing limited-functionality zzzfm file-find feature and link the Find//Search button to a feature-rich external program.

some candidates:

fsearch
              AFAICT, does not provide ability to save/reselect search criteria

searchmonkey
              does provide ability to save/reselect search criteria, but as an on-demand manual operation (no performed automatically//continuously)

FAR – Find AND Replace
              An excellent utility, Its “Find” tab does provide dropdowns to reselect previous directory and filename pattern criteria… but I’m unsure its history list is preserved across sessions, and FAR is a java -based program

ANGRYsearch (python3+pyqt5)
              AFAICT, does not provide ability to save/reselect search criteria

The deprecated-by-gnome-and-by-debian gnome-search-tool
              xref: sources.debian.org/src/gnome-search-tool/3.6.0-2/
              which is a freestanding version of the search functions exposed in Nautilus file manager
              provides a dropdown combobox (depends on nautilus-data packaged, but not the full “nautilus” package)
              but I can’t recall whether it provides ability to save/reselect search criteria (folder, filename) across sessions.

Catfish (an XFCE project) …source tarball
              CatfishSearchEngine.py
              CatfishWindow.py
              ^— its ui provides a folder chooser Combobox, but AFAICT the history list is not preserved across sessions.
              Adding such functionality would be achieved much more easily in catfish than adding same to the spacefm//zzzfm code (in the latter, the glade ui files are not even present in the sourcecode, they are generated on-the-fly during compilaton ~~ a real PITA!)
              -=-
              link: youtube search, videos showing catfish ui and explaining its usage

Ideally, IMO, the Find button within the zzzfm ui would open an index-based file search utility, such as docfetcher or recoll

docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

The naive approach to file search: The most basic approach to file search is to simply visit every file in a certain location one-by-one whenever a search is performed. This works well enough for filename-only search, because analyzing filenames is very fast. However, it wouldn’t work so well if you wanted to search the contents of files, since full text extraction is a much more expensive operation than filename analysis.

Index-based search: That’s why DocFetcher, being a content searcher, takes an approach known as indexing: The basic idea is that most of the files people need to search in (like, more than 95%) are modified very infrequently or not at all. So, rather than doing full text extraction on every file on every search, it is far more efficient to perform text extraction on all files just once, and to create a so-called index from all the extracted text. This index is kind of like a dictionary that allows quickly looking up files by the words they contain.

BobC

Yes, that makes better sense, Thanks

BobC

Searchmonkey seems to work and looks like it fits in. It does keep a list of recent searches. I see antiX full already includes searchmonkey, but base does not.

Do you think it would be better to be able to specify via config option what search program to run rather than hard code a solution?

If not, I could use Searchmonkey separately, or go back to using Midnight Commander’s search. Maybe there are other good CLI or hybrid searches, too. The big advantage of using a GUI based search is that you can see thumbnails of picture and icon files, which quite commonly is the reason for searching.

PPC

@BobC – I tested lots of file search apps, to see if any should be included in FT10… I came to this conclusions:
                    – to perform simple file searches by name, in the home folder, zzzfm find option does the job- change it’s .desktop file to include the home folder:
                    zzzfm --find-files ~
                    – The overall simplest to use, better localized and fastest app to search files by file name is FSearch – the dev even included my suggestion and added the possibility to search for, and then run, .desktop files, converting it into a kind of very basic app launcher (it does not search inside the .desktop files, so, no search by app description)
                    – Drill is very close to Fsearch, in what concerns ease of use and speed- by default it also acts like a simple app launcher
                    – Searchmonkey – it seems unmaintained, but then again, my only real complaint is lack of localization- it’s the only one of these apps that also searches inside files- .txt, .odt, pdf’s…- it’s a very useful feature. If used with a SSD drive, the lack of index is hardly noticed, if searching only inside the home folder (considering that it does not have a huge number of files to search- for example, combining the file name and word to search inside the file provides very fast results- ex: Search files “.pdf”, containing “Curriculum” will very quickly find your C.V. …)
                    – Using a “locate” rofi script – it’s insanely fast an runs very fast on few resources- I used that option for a while in the first FT10 versions- it’s very basic, but does the job of searching files by name in your home folder (or any other folder that you point the script to- I used it to find icons all the time).

P.

oparun

There is no “icon” option in
                      View – Panel 1 View – Style

And i cannot switch off “Hover selects” in Preferences.

Anonymous

There is no “icon” option in
                        View – Panel 1 View – Style

Yes, this is by design, (significantly reduces the memory footprint of the program) and has been discussed, bemoaned, lamented…
                        I invite you to visit Page 1 of this thread and read the posts to date.

cannot switch off “Hover selects” in Preferences

The “Hover selects” checkbox (and its associated functionality) is active only while “Single click opens files” is checkmarked.

Idunno which GTK theme is active on your system but… while “Single click opens files” is UNchecked, the icon displayed for the “Hover selects” checkbox should look “faded” or “grayed out” (as a visual hint to indicate the checkbox is “currently disabled”).

afghan

I’ve been giving zzzFM a try since installing antiX 21, and had the intention of making it my default file manager until I ran into a problem. Every time I try to rename files it works fine for maybe the first or maybe even two or three files, then it suddenly stalls and hogs up almost 100% of one CPU thread and becomes unresponsive. It happens everytime I try to rename several files one after another. Anyone else getting this problem?

Beware of people who knows nothing; they are the ones that won't know that they know nothing.

caprea

@afghan, no, can’t reproduce it here. kernel is 5.10.88, zzzfm version 1.0.7-8

mikey777

Recently, I replaced pcmanfm with spacefm (didn’t know it’s no longer supported), and now replaced that with zzzfm – great job skidoo on zzzfm – a very efficient & neat file manager ! Many thanks for developing & offering to maintain this.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                              - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                              ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                              - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                              - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

afghan

@afghan, no, can’t reproduce it here. kernel is 5.10.88, zzzfm version 1.0.7-8

Hmmmm… I’m using the exact same on two different (recent) installs and both are showing the same problem. Must be affected by something else. I’ll try digging deeper into it because I really like using it.

Beware of people who knows nothing; they are the ones that won't know that they know nothing.

Robin

great job skidoo on zzzfm – a very efficient & neat file manager !

Never mentioned it explicitely, but yes, this is absolutely true. Hopefully we’ll see in short the translation files ready for use for this program to allow it run internationalised. The multilanguage (100+ languages) translation will start working on letter »v« today, so there are not that much languages left to process.

Since I don’t know how to contact Skidoo or Xecure right now, who have both maintained the packaging of this fine piece of software for antiX, most probably they are indispensable elsewhere, we’ll need somebody to step in in the meantime, helping to package the language files for apt installation along with the existing program, because I don’t have the faintest idea how this procedure works.

stalls and hogs up almost 100% of one CPU thread and becomes unresponsive.

Have seen this only also in case a file is not accessable for some reason. Skidoo has explained to me, it depends on the way the files are cached by the file system driver. zzzFM isn’t involved in this at all, but relies on and waits for the response of this cache. Unfortunately zzzFM (exactly like spaceFM) waits for unlimited time for this response, which might look like it stalls. The 100% CPU load are probably caused by the file system driver trying to access the files, being blocked by IRQ conflict or whatever. I’ve noticed this only when Nouveau graphics driver was installed. After I had replaced it by proprietary Nvidia drivers this behaviour was gone completely for locally stored files. Not the same for accessing network connected files, while the network connection was gone temporarly: In this case zzzFM will wait forever, being irresponsive, just as you describe. But as soon the network connection is back, zzzFM will go on, as if never anything had occurred.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 143 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.