ZzzFM touchpad double-tap issue on a laptop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions ZzzFM touchpad double-tap issue on a laptop

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Apr 25-7:35 pm by anti-apXos.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elu

I use antiX 23.1, all packages upgraded to the latest version. I enabled double click to open files in zzzFM, and clicking using mouse buttons, included on the laptop or not, works fine. However, using double tapping on a touchpad (tap to click enabled) is unreliable. A lot of the time, it only registers one of the two taps. I have not found rhyme or reason for it so far. Double tapping anywhere except in the file manager works as expected. Double tapping and dragging to select works fine even in zzzFM, so I’m at a loss why I can’t open folders and files and such using double tapping.
      The laptop in question is Haier S424. Via HardInfo, the touchpad is identified as SYNA3602:00 0911:5288 Touchpad

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Elu.
      Forum Admin
      rokytnji

ZZZFM preferences can be set to single tap to open files.

Control Center has Mouse settings under hardware tab.

harry@antiX:~
        $ sudo updatedb
        [sudo] password for harry: 
        $ locate synaptics.conf
        /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf
        /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf

I am still dealing with a new install myself so I have not installed xinput yet.

$ sudo apt install xinput
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree... Done
        Reading state information... Done
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
          libboost-filesystem1.74.0 liblua5.3-0 liborcus-0.17-0 liborcus-parser-0.17-0
        Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
          xinput
        0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 52.6 kB of archives.
        After this operation, 105 kB of additional disk space will be used.
        Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 xinput amd64 1.6.3-1 [52.6 kB]
        Fetched 52.6 kB in 1s (59.7 kB/s)
        Selecting previously unselected package xinput.
        (Reading database ... 194874 files and directories currently installed.)
        Preparing to unpack .../xinput_1.6.3-1_amd64.deb ...
        Unpacking xinput (1.6.3-1) ...
        Setting up xinput (1.6.3-1) ...
        Processing triggers for man-db (2.11.2-2) ...
        $ xinput
        ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
        ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
        ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
        ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
        ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
            ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
            ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
            ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
            ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]

Good luck

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

I use antiX 23.1, all packages upgraded to the latest version. I enabled double click to open files in zzzFM, and clicking using mouse buttons, included on the laptop or not, works fine. However, using double tapping on a touchpad (tap to click enabled) is unreliable. A lot of the time, it only registers one of the two taps. I have not found rhyme or reason for it so far. Double tapping anywhere except in the file manager works as expected. Double tapping and dragging to select works fine even in zzzFM, so I’m at a loss why I can’t open folders and files and such using double tapping.
          The laptop in question is Haier S424. Via HardInfo, the touchpad is identified as SYNA3602:00 0911:5288 Touchpad

Regarding the behavior of clicks, taps, and other sources of interaction, most of them are configurable. Most file managers, including zzzFM, can be configured to respond to one or two (double) clicks to perform an action; some behaviors are specific to a particular tool; other behaviors are managed by the window manager in use.

The default IceWM behavior is to EITHER double click on a desktop object or to single click a toolbar icon associated with a particular toolbar item, whether it is a program or a function.

Let us know if this answers your question or if you have additional questions. Please provide details so any follow up can more accurately respond to your further inquiries. Thanks!

--
          Brian Masinick

anti-apXos

I tested and also seem to have the same problem. I prefer single-click, so hadn’t ever noticed before, but I just tried disabling “Single click opens files” on the General tab in zzzFM Preferences and the issue is very similar to what you describe. Very unreliable in zzzFM window with no pattern I can discern in, but double clicking works fine in other contexts (such as highlighting a word in browser or terminal). I also tried disabling single-click to open in rox and found no issue with double clicks there. Just in zzzFM.

I still prefer to use the synaptics touchpad driver even though it is not the default (or even included) in antiX 23.1 anymore. I tried switching to the libinput driver and the problem in zzzFM went away. Double clicks worked fine to open files and folders.

Do you use the synaptics driver as well, by chance? As I said, it’s not included by default with a fresh antiX 23.1 install, you would have had to install and enable it manually. If your antiX 23.1 is upgraded from antix 23, it would still have synpatics installed and selected for touchpads, though. If you’re not sure, try entering “synclient” into a terminal window. If the command is recognized and gives you a long list of settings, then you’re using the synaptics driver.

Brian Masinick

Regarding synaptics, the difference between our antiX 23 release and our antiX 23.1 release is that the synclient package that supports the synaptics method of accessing touchpads is no longer supported in the upstream (Debian) repositories, at least not in Bookworm.

I happen to be running antiX 23 at the moment; here the support still exists:
              xserver-xorg-input-synaptics – Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

Anyone that truly wants to use this should obtain it from the same repos used in antiX 23; to my knowledge the packages are not completely GONE, they are just not in the newest repos.

Checking again on antiX 23 xinput is ALSO available:
              xinput – Runtime configuration and test of XInput devices

--
              Brian Masinick

anti-apXos

Regarding synaptics, the difference between our antiX 23 release and our antiX 23.1 release is that the synclient package that supports the synaptics method of accessing touchpads is no longer supported in the upstream (Debian) repositories, at least not in Bookworm.

The xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package is still in the Bookworm repositories and can be installed on antiX 23.1. I think anticapitalista mentioned that it may be removed sometime in the not too distant future, though.

Elu

ZZZFM preferences can be set to single tap to open files.

Regarding the behavior of clicks, taps, and other sources of interaction, most of them are configurable.

Yeah, I know about configuration, but that’s not the issue here and was never the question. I don’t want “single tap to open files”, I want double tap. However, it doesn’t work well, and that is my issue.

Do you use the synaptics driver as well, by chance?

Yes. Libinput was default, I think, but it was too jittery. As in the mouse cursor would jump around a bit if I held my finger on the touchpad. That ceased to be the issue once I installed synaptics.

EDIT: Removed synaptics driver, installed xinput, that fixed the issue. Should I mark this thread as resolved?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Elu.
                  • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Elu.
                  anti-apXos

Yes. Libinput was default, I think, but it was too jittery. As in the mouse cursor would jump around a bit if I held my finger on the touchpad. That ceased to be the issue once I installed synaptics.

Unfortunately, fixing this type of thing for the libinput driver is pretty complicated. If you want to switch back to the libinput driver, you can read here:

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/device-quirks.html

and give it a try. The setting you’d want to override with a “quirk” is probably AttrSizeHint. Personally, I gave up on trying to fix libinput’s touchpad behavior with quirks and will most likely just keep using synaptics even once it’s removed from all distro repositories (which I sort of suspect won’t really happen anyway).

If you want to stick with synaptics, I just did some more testing and found that the setting “SingleTapTimeout” is responsible for this issue with double-clicks in zzzFM. Try a lower value. In fact, even setting it to 0 works just fine on my system, so I’m not entirely sure what it really does, especially since the default value didn’t interfere with double tapping in any other situations.

To set this temporarily for testing, you can use the synclient command:

synclient SingleTapTimeout=0

To set it permanently, you could either add the above synclient line to your ~/.desktop-session/startup file or else set it as an option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf

If you don’t already have a 70-synaptics.conf file in that location you can create it, with these contents:

Section "InputClass"
                            Identifier      "Touchpad"                      # required
                            MatchIsTouchpad "yes"                           # required
                            Driver          "synaptics"                     # required
                            Option          "SingleTapTimeout"        "0"
                    EndSection

Elu

[possible solution]

Sorry for a late response, but your suggestion solved the issue of double clicking not working consistently but it completely broke window dragging. I can’t drag windows without double clicking on the dedicated mouse button.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Elu.
                      anti-apXos

Hi @Elu, I think you’re talking about what synaptics calls the TapAndDragGesture, right? Single-click and hold with the physical button as you would with a regular mouse still works to drag things? If you want to use the TapAndDragGesture and also use double-click to open things in zzzFM, it may be that the only solution is to fiddle with the values for SingleClickTimeout and MaxDoubleTapTime to see if you can find something that works for you. I believe that what’s going on in zzzFM is that the second tap has be after SingleClickTimeout but also before the MaxDoubleTapTime, which may be a small window to hit and that’s why double-clicking seems to fail “randomly”.

There could be some other way entirely of solving this since it still seems odd to me that this double-tapping problem only shows in zzzFM. I also wonder why no one has reported this before even though Synaptics was the default touchpad driver in versions of antiX before 23.1. It could be that another change between 23 and 23.1 has changed something so that even after installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, the behavior is not the same as it was in older antiX versions. I don’t have any older antiX installs around to test, though.

It wasn’t clear from your earlier post whether using the libinput driver was still jittery for you after you switched back to it and installed xinput. If it’s not, maybe best just to stick with that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.